Amazon Flex Paying $18 - $25 Hour

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you live in Seattle and are looking for a way to supplement your income, Amazon Flex might be the way to go. The service says it is coming soon to Manhattan, Baltimore, Miami, Dallas, Austin, Chicago, Indianapolis, Atlanta, and Portland.

Make $18–25/hr delivering packages for Amazon with your car and smartphone. Be your own boss: deliver when you want, as much as you want.

I would most definitely be interested in this if they started this in the Tampa Bay area.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I don't want random Joe/Sally Schmoe coming to my house with my stuff. I hope Amazon makes this optional.

I would absolutely do this if it was available here. Getting tired of supporting users.

sounds good...decent pay, flexible hours...as for customers, can't be any worse then that Amazon delivery/messenger service they currently use

I'm thinking that I'd rather trust a Joe Schmoe handling my packages than shitty UPS and Fedex drivers.

Package delivery people do NOT deserve more money than computer support techs.

But Amazon isn't providing vehicles, gas or insurance. Yes, there are tax deductions for work expenses, but that doesn't cover up-front costs. If you're driving in the city, that's a lot of stop-and-go wear-and-tear on your vehicle. Not to mention the risks of tickets from double parking, delivering to gang areas, etc.

As a part time suburb job, that might not be too shabby.

Then ask for a raise.

Some say a computer tech does not deserve more than a ditch digger because the digger is more labor intensive.

If someone is willing to pay that much for the job, that's how it is. Doesn't matter if you like it or not. Find someone paying more for a computer tech job.

I take it these drivers are 1099, not getting company benefits, etc..

In my area for same day delivery they use a company called Lasership, (same concept, people use their own cars). They started out ok, but now they will mark a package as delivered before 9PM, and then it eventually shows up next day so it looks like they delivered it on time. Or they say they couldn't deliver because no one was home (when there was) but doesn't matter anyway as they never wait for you to come to the door, they just drop and run back to their cars before you even make it to the door. I had this happen just recently, for 4 days in a row. Complained to Amazon, got my money back, shipped me a next day replacement (via Lasership) and it and the original order showed up the next day.

Guess Amazon wants to try and do this in house than use these yahoos..

Then ask for a raise.

Some say a computer tech does not deserve more than a ditch digger because the digger is more labor intensive.

If someone is willing to pay that much for the job, that's how it is. Doesn't matter if you like it or not. Find someone paying more for a computer tech job.

I take it these drivers are 1099, not getting company benefits, etc..

Which is perfect for a secondary income. Granted, people aren't going to be prepared for the tax hit at the end of the year. 1099's are the worse. I much prefer to be on short term W2 and payroll.

If you really hate your car, this is a great way to ensure you'll be needing one after putting all the extra miles on it and maintenance becomes prohibitive.

I see losing package complaints.

This two hour same day shipping. Amazon can just dispatch someone else and re-deliver within an hour.

As for the other complaints like car maintenance etc.
This beats wasting away in an office cubicle, taking it in the ass from your boss.
With upwards of $25 an hour, it's easy to buy another used car cash.

Maybe... but in this case delivery people are paying for their own vehicle, they're paying for the maintenance in using that vehicle, as well as fuel costs, and insurance on that vehicle, any tickets that they might inevitably get because there's no parking where they are delivering or potential theft should their vehicle with all these boxes that say "Amazon" on them gets broken into while they're delivering a package because they had to park far away.

How far can you drive in an hour? maybe 40 miles? (less for city traffic) and what kind of car do you drive? Depending upon your answers that could be 2 gallons worth of gas you used up? All of a sudden your $18/hr job is now only paying $12/hr.

Maybe... but in this case delivery people are paying for their own vehicle, they're paying for the maintenance in using that vehicle, as well as fuel costs, and insurance on that vehicle, any tickets that they might inevitably get because there's no parking where they are delivering or potential theft should their vehicle with all these boxes that say "Amazon" on them gets broken into while they're delivering a package because they had to park far away.

How far can you drive in an hour? maybe 40 miles? (less for city traffic) and what kind of car do you drive? Depending upon your answers that could be 2 gallons worth of gas you used up? All of a sudden your $18/hr job is now only paying $12/hr.

yup. then from there you also have to double social security deductions as a 1099 vs a w2. plus deduct taxes that you will owe end of year. commercial insurance on a vehicle i more expensive than personal.

congrats on basically a $7 hour job! you would literally be better off working at McDonalds.

I see losing package complaints.

Maybe, but I imagine just a few lost/damaged package complaints and that person is no longer going to be doing the Amazon delivery gig. Amazon has good customer service. Every single time I have had a problem with a lost or damaged item they have made it right. I am sure there will be bumps and thefts, but Amazon will simply re-dispatch the item and fire the fool who stole it and blacklist them from every working for them again.

I once ordered a PS3 game, new, sold and shipped by Amazon. The game was gone. There was a small slit in the shrink wrap and the game disc wasn't in there. I expected to NOT be able to get a replacement, I mean, its not like I didn't get anything. I got the package and the case but not the game. Anyone could say that.

To my surprise they apologized and shipped out another new one no questions asked, no need to return the old case or anything. I am sure if you try to rip off Amazon with fraud a bunch they will stop being nice, I am sure they look at "return/exchange" history, but for the most part they are awesome.

If I were out of work, I'd totally do this. Sure, it will be wear and tear on your car, but it is still looks like a better deal than delivering pizza or driving for Uber. Plus, you don't have the insurance liability concerns that you would transporting passengers.

If it comes to Florida, I could see filling my F150 up with boxes and doing this, cause why the hell not?

yup. then from there you also have to double social security deductions as a 1099 vs a w2. plus deduct taxes that you will owe end of year. commercial insurance on a vehicle i more expensive than personal.

congrats on basically a $7 hour job! you would literally be better off working at McDonalds.

Does seem to a be a lot of overhead to this for the money. But finding part time work with flexible hours isn't all that easy.

25 an hour isn't so hot with the wear and tear on your vehicle. If you could do it on a bike maybe.

Might be worth pursuing this in a nice, flat city with moderate traffic and an intuitive, grid-based street and road system.

But in Seattle? Oh, man... I'll take my cubicle, thank you :)

They probably assign a time limit to each package you decide to take out for delivery. Therefore there is no long hauling etc.

Remember on 1099 you get to deduct ALL of your expenses. Gas, Food, Mileage (IRS rate is 0.56 a mile right now), hell a good accountant might even be able to write off your car value or something.

Either way it probably works out to $12-$15 of on demand part time work. It might be worth checking out for some people.

Remember on 1099 you get to deduct ALL of your expenses. Gas, Food, Mileage (IRS rate is 0.56 a mile right now), hell a good accountant might even be able to write off your car value or something.
The mileage rate is meant to cover all operating costs of a vehicle, including fuel, depreciation, insurance, etc.

No worries, these are just the initial wages to get everyone onboard. As it becomes popular, the payout will start dropping due to competition. That's almost always how these things work. They'll be down to burger flipping wages in no time.

I am guessing you may have to deliver 4-8 packages and hour...average speed will be 50 mph...in a school zone...then get a $300.00 ticket...

I'd consider this if I could realistically make $25 an hour working 3 or 4 hours early on Saturday and Sunday. But from what I've heard of Amazon it's probably more like 14-18 and they'll find additional ways to screw you.

This is a pretty stupid idea. You'll pay an insurance premium on your car, cause now it's used for business. Then you'll have gas and more vehicle maintenance. Unless Amazon pays for all that too, I wouldn't waste my time.

Back