You May Want to Disable Wi-Fi Assist in iOS 9

HardOCP News

[H] News
iPhone owners that have upgraded to iOS 9 might want to turn this new feature off. While handy, it is causing some people to blow through their data plans.

The new setting, which is automatically turned on when a phone is updated to iOS 9, attempts to ensure that users don’t experience any buffering when on a weak WiFi signal. The iPhone will detect when a WiFi signal lacks strength, and switch over to a cellular connection.

I've got unlimited, so I'll just keep it turned on.

automatic/smart whatever features are the worst. i disabled them all , i can choose my own settings.

So it's just like "Smart Network Switch" on Samsung, which also sucks.

This has been on every iPhone since iOS 8, and it was enabled with no way to disable it. Now they gave people a way to turn it off and people are complaining.

This has been on every iPhone since iOS 8, and it was enabled with no way to disable it. Now they gave people a way to turn it off and people are complaining.

As with most things like this, I think most people's issue is that it's on by default.

I've got unlimited, so I'll just keep it turned on.

Exactly, that's what unlimited data plans are for. My whole family has one and our whole household is on wireless LTE-advanced too.

Just goes so show how out of touch Apple is with their customers...

Just goes so show how out of touch Apple is with their customers...

Apple gave their customers a way of turning off something that has been enabled on everyone's devices for the last 12 months with few complaints.

Apple gave their customers a way of turning off something that has been enabled on everyone's devices for the last 12 months with few complaints.

Exactly, they're out of touch with their customer base. The sheeples want to be led, not given choices!

Not that I believe that, you did leave that door open.

The issue of burning up bandwidth has been a bit of a hot button issue with other products lately so nothing like being able reuse a controversy.

I have liked the feature since they added it. I have crappy wifi at work and well crappy mobile signal as well, so it helps having the redundancy a bit. I am not streaming movies, mostly just email/messages so the data hit is nothing.

One of those features that shouldn't be turned on by default even if it provides a better user experience. Data overages are expensive. I like complete control of what us using my mobile data and when....

Samsung has had this feature for a while. I feeloved like it was enabled by default on my Note 3 but there were warnings telling you about data costs when in the wifi configuration pages.

It was disabled on my Note 4 and 5 by default.

Back