Meat Consumption Around The World, Ranked

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Australia narrowly has us beat. Also, it seems like nobody likes lamb or sheep.

Americans are eating about 20 pounds less meat per person per year than we were about ten years ago, when our meat consumption peaked; still, it's higher today than it was in the 1970s. Yet the kind of meat we favor has changed over time, perhaps in response to the health and environmental concerns associated with beef.

Geez..can we exclude veggieville california so we can have #1 again? :D Damn people dragging us down.

Very interesting but inaccurate chart. United Nations food index reflects that goat is the long time most eaten meat on earth followed by pork. Goats are easier to grow and manage in many parts of the world like the middle east and they also offer better quality milk products and they are more cozy at night when you take them into your cave ;) many countries worship the cow or the cow is a work tool and not eaten.

As for my house very very little store bought meat is ever brought in. It takes 4 deer to fulfill our red meat capacity, 2 wild pigs and not sure how many squirrels and rabbits. Where I live most here butcher there own cattle, harvest animals from the land and streams and these never see the market or butcher shop thus not trackable as I anticipate much of the world is also.

I love lamb. I find it has much better flavor than other meats. I don't think I've ever had goat, but I'd like to.

Fish is not meat?
Yeah I was going to make a comment as to China being the #1 reasons for overfishing in the oceans today... then I realized they did not include fish as meat.

That said I fucking love lamb! Only reason I don't eat more of it is that it is kind of a specialty meat, in that there's usually few options available compared to everything else.

Also I thought California was the #1 importer of meat?
May be true, only because we export most of our meat. Lots of people not happy that we export so much to Asian countries, basically use tons of water to make grains for cattle to eat, then send it off to China and other countries willing to pay.

I remember back in the good old days we used to eat streaks the size of our plates, no one does that anymore.

Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Grouper, Oysters, Flounder, Mullet all seafood I eat ones or twice a week. I throw in a Filet Mignon from time to time.

I remember back in the good old days we used to eat streaks the size of our plates, no one does that anymore.

That's because nobody can afford a steak that size any more :(

I think the main reason people are eating less beef is due to the high prices more than any concern about so called health issues.

I strated eating more Oatmeal myself I figure the people in India live longer cause of lower meat consumption cows are sacred and they use Tumeic a spice that helps cardio vascular heath.

That's because nobody can afford a steak that size any more :(

I think the main reason people are eating less beef is due to the high prices more than any concern about so called health issues.

Just think how high the price would be if we didn't subsidize everything related to the beef and dairy industries. When it comes to beef and dairy products they would all cost more than twice what you pay for them if the industries themselves had to bear the full cost of production. But tax payers get to make up the difference through subsidies so every fat slob can have his $4 Whopper. Go America!

I am going to have a side of steak with my steak tonight. Red meat and mashed potatoes is where it's at. I try to consume at least one 8 to 10 oz serving of red meat per day. I don't mind fish or chicken, pork is OK, not the biggest lamb fan, but I love raw tuna and other sushi items.

Just think how high the price would be if we didn't subsidize everything related to the beef and dairy industries. When it comes to beef and dairy products they would all cost more than twice what you pay for them if the industries themselves had to bear the full cost of production. But tax payers get to make up the difference through subsidies so every fat slob can have his $4 Whopper. Go America!

There's less than a dollars worth of beef in a whopper. The main cost of prepared food, generally, is in the preparation. And economically speaking, costs don't generally get pushed on to consumers 1:1. It's less about fat slobs getting their $4 whoppers, and more about BK paying out another $.02 cents in dividends per share. And of course farmers and distributors - the whole supply chain - also making more profit.

So we should just get rid of those subsidies right? If it were even to be announced that the meat/dairy subsidies were going to be phased out or reduced, it could collapse our whole super-fragile network of world stock markets; ie: the end of civilization. I have no answers.

Lamb's not popular here, but I've tried it abroad before. If it's not spiced right then I don't like the aftertaste - same with beef as well - but when cooked properly it's the most delicious meat I've had so far.

I suspect it's not popular here due to cost, plus why sell the meat when you can harvest the wool?

US consumption of meat is down from 10 years ago? Not surprising, considering the cost of meat has in some cases risen 4 fold. 10 years ago, we went to a specialty meat market and bought some ground Elk meat, and I commented on how expensive it was at $4 per pound. Now, it is considered a good sale when the cheap ground beef is marked down to $4 per pound!

Get an elk tag and shoot one, much cheaper then buying it at the store.

If we didn't subsidize those, prices would probably be similar, we would just have more dairy farmers. Subsidies leads to less competition and reliance on tax dollars.

All I eat is salmon. Every day. Forever. Well when I cook anyway, which is a decent amount of the time. Bets are off if I eat from somewhere else. I just go to Costco and grab those 30$ bags of wild caught salmon.

Which is expensive as hell... that's probably where most of my food money goes.

All I eat is salmon. Every day. Forever. Well when I cook anyway, which is a decent amount of the time. Bets are off if I eat from somewhere else. I just go to Costco and grab those 30$ bags of wild caught salmon.

Which is expensive as hell... that's probably where most of my food money goes.

If you would have said COD instead of salmon i would have had to ask if your real name was Dwayne Johnson.

Btw i'm pretty sure that the Lamb/Sheep consumption in the US is low due to the lower efficiency between the space required and the ammount of meat produced in a highly industrialized nation.

If you can make it efficient enough to drop lamb/sheep to the price of beef then i am sure that Big Meat would look for a way to promote the product, since the original reason given for lamb's decay in favor is just a footnote in history by now (Apparently in WW2 mutton was given as lamb, and due to the strong musky taste it soured ppl's palate to actual lamb).

A lot of people seem to be confused regarding the reasons for popularity of meats. The main factors are not costs of raising a specific meat animal, it is the cost of processing and marketing. The products your favorite market carries shapes the tastes of America. Our cultural heritage plays a large part as well. Right now, chicken is king (notice I didn't say poultry). That will change when we finally decide to do something to clean up our chicken processing plants. Prime and Choice cuts of beef are almost unheard of in our stores because the beef industry jumped on the 'leaner is better' marketing bandwagon. Texas raises a huge amount of meat goats and 100% is sold to Mexico. Rabbit producers have spent their marketing money foolishly by hiring national marketing companies rather than local ones. The take away is that the growers have seen very little of the increased prices of meat while the marketing and processing plants have taken the lion's share.

Back in the late '80s and early '90s, I saw ships full of goats and sheep in the Persian Gulf. The things looked like cruise ships - they were freakin' huge! And it seemed like the entire gulf was littered with dead sheep and/or goats.

The restaurants in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi prepared some of the tastiest goat and sheep dishes that I've ever had. I have no idea what they were called because I couldn't read the Arabic menus. Ordering was basically looking around the restaurant and seeing what looked good on other tables.

Loves me some tasty mutton!

Back