Mobile Browser Traffic 2X Bigger Than App Traffic, And Growing Faster

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Actually, there are differing reports that suggest app use is more popular. Regardless, people love spending time on mobile.

Those are vastly different measures, and it’s no shock that they present vastly different pictures of what’s happening in mobile. Mobile users spend massive numbers of hours in Subway Surfer or Game of War, blowing 80 percent of their time in just five favorite apps, while they might also visit 10 or 15 mobile web sites of companies that they’re checking out, and spend just a few moments on each. Mobile “traffic” — read unique visitors — are up on mobile web, but mobile time is also up on apps.

I hate apps. If people actually coded websites properly, there would be no need for apps and they would work on any platform.

I hate apps. If people actually coded websites properly, there would be no need for apps and they would work on any platform.

It really depends. I find that things like Twitter, FB and some stock apps are great. OTOH, I don't like Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB's app. I'd rather go to the website.

I don't know about their Android app, but TV Guides app is excellent. It may not be as good as TIVO's guide, but it's better than anything else I've seen and definitely faster than a webpage and makes any cable/satellite guide pointless for anything other than scheduling your DVR.

I use mobile becuase it is in my pocket, not because I actually like it.

100% of everything about the desktop experience is superior. If I could only keep my desktop in my pocket...

Zarathustra[H];1041877944 said:
I use mobile becuase it is in my pocket, not because I actually like it.

100% of everything about the desktop experience is superior. If I could only keep my desktop in my pocket...

I generally agree, but the only time I look at twitter is on my phone (even if I'm at my desk) and I'd rather use TV Guides app than anything I've seen on the desktop.

Apps > web browser

Text loads quicker (maybe because there's fewer ads?)

I enjoy reading news articles on the go. However when I do that on the browser, in the middle of the second paragraph the text often jumps off screen because the embedded ad just finished loading. Then 10 seconds later a floating ad shows up over the text. I get it that ads are needed to keep the lights on at many places, but the whole process could be streamlined if the entirety of the page (ads and text) showed up at the same. I try to avoid mobile browsing unless its absolutely necessary.

That being said [H] has an excellent mobile page.

Apps > web browser

Text loads quicker (maybe because there's fewer ads?)

I enjoy reading news articles on the go. However when I do that on the browser, in the middle of the second paragraph the text often jumps off screen because the embedded ad just finished loading. Then 10 seconds later a floating ad shows up over the text. I get it that ads are needed to keep the lights on at many places, but the whole process could be streamlined if the entirety of the page (ads and text) showed up at the same. I try to avoid mobile browsing unless its absolutely necessary.

That being said [H] has an excellent mobile page.

That's a fair assessment.

Apps do have the ability to reduce traffic use, if written correctly.

But then again, so does browser caching.

+1

Hey, here's our mobile site. Sure, we're only gonna let you do half of what you can with the desktop site and the layout is insultingly bad, but hey, it's optimized for your "mobile experience"!

+1

Hey, here's our mobile site. Sure, we're only gonna let you do half of what you can with the desktop site and the layout is insultingly bad, but hey, it's optimized for your "mobile experience"!

True, but the same can be said for many apps :p

Back