Samsung Serif TV Preview

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Samsung recently introduced a new TV design that is reminiscent of those vintage sets at certain angles. What do you think?

So ummm where's any of the cables of that tv? I saw no cable for your signal, I saw no cable for power, only time I saw a cable was when it was on that janky looking TV tray type of stand (which no way in fuck all I would use to hold a TV up) and then the cable kind of disappeared into "this is photoshopped" territory.

That said, about the design of the TV... meh.. I'm not a hipster, I don't need something to remind me of the 50s/60s/70s style of TVs, give me flat, make the bezzel around the screen as thin as possible, and have it ventilated adequately enough so that it doesn't overheat too much and reduce the lifespan of the TV.

Well, it's a TV with a designed case. I can see some people like my 70+ year old dad digging this.

I'm more curious what type of panel it will have. OLED? Nano Crystal LCD, SUHD or whatever it's called? Or just your standard LED LCD that most tvs have? That's more important than the design.

I like it would look really nice on a self or something.. When not in use have a painting or something up on it. Wife would really dig it lol would go with her living room lol. She hates the silver around the tv we have in the living room now. This would look nice just sitting on the mantel over the fire place.

I like it would look really nice on a self or something.. When not in use have a painting or something up on it. Wife would really dig it lol would go with her living room lol. She hates the silver around the tv we have in the living room now. This would look nice just sitting on the mantel over the fire place.

Over the fireplace, melting away. :p Solder connections getting reflowed with the heat and help of gravity. Sounds like a plan.

So paint the silver. She sounds like an artsy type, so get her on it. :)

How small was that thing? Pass.

I don't think I'd buy it, but I guess in some cases, it might work. I'm not very sold on it sitting on an A Frame stand.

I hate it when people put their TV over the mantle. What an idiotic place to put it. First of all, you're putting the TV right over a heat source. Second, the mantle is always way higher than the couch level so you're going to have to look upwards at the TV the entire time unless you do your TV watching standing up.

I hate it when people put their TV over the mantle. What an idiotic place to put it. First of all, you're putting the TV right over a heat source. Second, the mantle is always way higher than the couch level so you're going to have to look upwards at the TV the entire time unless you do your TV watching standing up.

Yes, I put mine there, and I don't like it so high. My fireplace has a fake for-looks thing that I installed (allergies, I will never light a fire in my house), so I'll have to lower it when I upgrade my TV.

You keep jerking your knee off like that, you'll go blind.

Some people, like myself, don't use their fireplace. Ever. And this design, with its tiny footprint would be great on my mantle.

My couch is also at least 8 feet away from my fireplace so looking up a whopping 10 degrees isn't going to break anyone's neck.

This whole time I kept getting visions of a certain high end car seat with all the options that the video totally failed to show.

You keep jerking your knee off like that, you'll go blind.

Some people, like myself, don't use their fireplace. Ever. And this design, with its tiny footprint would be great on my mantle.

My couch is also at least 8 feet away from my fireplace so looking up a whopping 10 degrees isn't going to break anyone's neck.

You are still doing it wrong though.:D

Looks bulky. I don't like it.

Looks like a design for some goofy hipster who cares more about what the case looks like than what the picture looks like. In other words, it's a TV that will spend most of its life turned off.

And who the hell are these Ronan and Erwan people?

Over the fireplace, melting away. :p Solder connections getting reflowed with the heat and help of gravity. Sounds like a plan.

So paint the silver. She sounds like an artsy type, so get her on it. :)

How small was that thing? Pass.

I've had my TV over my fireplace before as it was easy to mount without pissing off the landlord. The couch was about seven feet back on a raised section of the room, was a rather oddly designed townhouse in Riverside, California.

The key word there is California... don't really need a fucking fireplace here. What we need is rain.

:D

Just incase the name is lost on anyone

serif.gif

Serif-TV-by-Ronan-and-Erwan-Bouroullec-for-Samsung_dezeen_03.jpg

Reactions: Vokar
like this
Why is the back covered in carpeting? And an A-frame stand? It's clearly designed for yuppies who have no pets or children that would inevitably knock it over. Plus, who wants a cord running across the floor? I thought that was the main reason everything electronic always butted up against the wall, to keep cords out of footpaths.

You are still doing it wrong though.:D

I actually prefer to look up, especially if I'm leaned back.

I hate it when people only have their TV's 20-30" or so off the ground. Feels like I'm looking down.

I'd probably prefer a lower case "i" - the dot being a bar across the top for easy transport, would look like a portfolio case, an ultra hipster douch version of the backpack used only to start conversations with freaks on the bus to help distribute business cards for my 2nd-rate "Internet of Things" company that focuses purely on iPhone to icecube tray interactions.

I don't mind the design, but I do like a nice 70"+ capability.

would need to see it mounted on a wall.

kinda interesting, but i tend to like a minimalist, industrial design with TVs

Hi guys,

I stumbled across this thread. I've got a Samsung Serif TV and did a quick unboxing to give you an idea of what it looks like (not a technical review or anything).

Hope you don't mind me linking to it?

What do you think? I love it... must people either love it or think it's a bit weird.

PS I don't have kids or a dog ;)

Furniture returns!
Ha! What I was thinking. The spindley stick legs are a design throwback to the 50s. The flat top is perfect for grandmaw knick knacks.
Over all the concept is 100% Hipster fodder; put it right next to you vintage console stereo with a booming 10 watts of power.

Ha! What I was thinking. The spindley stick legs are a design throwback to the 50s. The flat top is perfect for grandmaw knick knacks.
Over all the concept is 100% Hipster fodder; put it right next to you vintage console stereo with a booming 10 watts of power.

Haha probably a fair evaluation, I'm definitely no hipster though... no beard or single gear bike here :LOL:

Back