We’re Completely Out Of New IPv4 Addresses

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
If you’re interested in a brand-new IP address, it’s going to have to be IPv6.

The IPv4 space globally offers 4,294,967,296 network addresses – which seemed like an awful lot back in the 1970s when the internet was coming together. (Not all of those are usable on the public internet as some chunks are reserved. For example, the familiar 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x blocks are used for internal networks.) Since then, the, er, information superhighway, cyber-space, or whatever you want to call it, has exploded, and the seemingly endless supply of IPv4 addresses is running out.

man, it's gonna be a PIA remembering IPV6 addresses, but i'll eventually get used to it.

man, it's gonna be a PIA remembering IPV6 addresses, but i'll eventually get used to it.

Just means DNS is ever more important, but yeah still is a pain at first

Although given how the conversion would work, I still think it is going to be a long time before we see an all IPv6 world. So in the meanwhile that leaves a huge problem still. As some services aren't going to be accessible by everyone.

I was actually just thinking about how I hadn't heard any stories about this in a few years.

Well you can blame those liberal tree hugging democrats for not allowing more drilling for addresses. There is a whole bunch of them in North Dakota, and more then we will ever need off the Arizona coast line. But our liberal president Obama won't lift the outdated restrictions preventing us from getting more. Instead of relying on our own IP addresses, we have to go through that foreign controlled monopoly ICANN.

I've been dual stack over a year.

Now if comcast could only FINALLY start rolling out STATICs to business, and the rest of the internet would switch, I'd be all set.

I've been dual stack over a year.

Now if comcast could only FINALLY start rolling out STATICs to business, and the rest of the internet would switch, I'd be all set.

I have a static on Comcast. Just got it a week ago actually.

Part of the problem is that when you want a static address, the minimum they will let you get is 5. At least that's how it works at Comcast, WoW, and the provider we are using for our guest network at work.

Just means DNS is ever more important, but yeah still is a pain at first

Although given how the conversion would work, I still think it is going to be a long time before we see an all IPv6 world. So in the meanwhile that leaves a huge problem still. As some services aren't going to be accessible by everyone.

Those services will either fix themselves to deal with a problem that they knew has been coming for at least two decades, or they will die. At this point it's not like anyone can say "What?! We're running out of IPv4 addresses? Why were we not notified? What do we do?" without being laughed out of the boardroom like George Costanza.

Seriously, what services haven't been able to prepare themselves with this much warning? Why would you not have already left them for such gross incompetence?

Thing is, IPV6 was an overreaction, and went totally overboard.

We could easily have found a middle ground in which a system has easily memorizeable IP addresses and still provides enough of them.

While new uses will certainly mean that the need for addresses will exceed our expectation, we will NEVER need the "one IP address for every atom on earth" level that IPV6 provides.

Because IPV6 is such a huge pain in the ass, k suspect that before we see mass adoption, we will instead see IPV4 consolidation, trading and more efficient use to eliminate address waste.

Right now they are used rather wastefully. In a world where NAT exista amd is effecrive, all we really need is one public IP address per household, plus one per business and a few extra for internet services. We are currently using WAY more than is really necessary due to wasteful allocation.

Zarathustra[H];1041877975 said:

We could easily have found a middle ground in which a system has easily memorizeable IP addresses and still provides enough of them.

While new uses will certainly mean that the need for addresses will exceed our expectation, we will NEVER need the "one IP address for every atom on earth" level that IPV6 provides.

Because IPV6 is such a huge pain in the ass, k suspect that before we see mass adoption, we will instead see IPV4 consolidation, trading and more efficient use to eliminate address waste.

Right now they are used rather wastefully. In a world where NAT exista amd is effecrive, all we really need is one public IP address per household, plus one per business and a few extra for internet services. We are currently using WAY more than is really necessary due to wasteful allocation.

I agree, my last company, we had 2 C Classes for 2 seperate parts of the business, in the end I used about 19 address total, and our parent company used maybe even less for their services.

no edit

On that note, we needed and entire C Class in order to have DDoS Protection from Prolexic / Akami instead of using their less efficient proxy service.

Good, then our kids and grandkids won't have to deal with this crap again. The great grandkids are going to be pissed that we didn't skip to IPV8, though.

so how come you can't just add another few decimals

like 123.123.123.123.123.123 ?

that would give us a bazillion more ips that are easier to deal with than ipv6

Yeah we've been running out of IPv4 addresses for about as long as I can remember I have a feeling that we will still be running out of them ten years from now. that being said the time really has come for everyone too move over to ipv6 but sadly the non it business world will probably take the same approach they did with win xp I.E wait to the last minute then panic.

I totally agree with you on that something a little easier to remember than current ipv6 address architecture could have been implemented while still allowing for enough address space for everyone on earth to have 10+ IP addresses to have for their very own.

can someone help me out with why IPv6 is such a PITA and who is remembering IP addresses besides 192.x.x.x?

so how come you can't just add another few decimals

like 123.123.123.123.123.123 ?

that would give us a bazillion more ips that are easier to deal with than ipv6

Your 16 digits of numbers only gives 999,999,999,999,999,999 addresses, which is somewhere between 2^46 and 2^47 addresses, probably not even what a theoretical IPV5 would have given. Yours would run out in about 20 years at most and then they'd have to do it all over again. IPv6 gives 2^128 addresses, which is:

You're also missing a bunch of improvements that IPV6 brings to the table. IP is more than just a bunch of addresses.

can someone help me out with why IPv6 is such a PITA and who is remembering IP addresses besides 192.x.x.x?

What are Google's public DNS addresses? 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I still have several routers, servers, DNS servers IP's memorized from my old job (ISP) from over a decade ago. I know the public IP's from work and the various private ones.

Depending on what you do, remembering IP addresses isn't too hard to do especially when you're using them a lot. DNS helps and all you need is a host name, but remembering the IP isn't that hard either right now.

IPv6 isn't a PITA. It is if you try managing and remembering it and treating it like IPv4, though. Treat it as a whole new thing, and it gets easier.

For example, in IPv6, 127.0.0.1 is ::1
192.168.0.1 is ::ffff:c0a8:1
all of the IPv4 addresses go into 0:0:0:0:0:ffff which gets compressed into ::ffff which will get as easily remembered as http://
8.8.8.8 is ::ffff:808:808
50.46.38.35, a random IPv4 number similar to mine, converted to IPv6 is ::ffff:322e:2623
And I haven't even learned about what the slashy numbers do yet (/64, /19, etc.)

Back