Microsoft Disables Safedisc DRM On Windows Vista, 7 & 8.1

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Microsoft has finally disabled Safedisk DRM. The company has provided a workaround for those of you running older games affected by the change.

“In addition to the changes that are listed for the vulnerabilities that are described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS15-097, this security bulletin addresses a defense-in-depth update for the secdrv.sys driver, a third-party driver. The update turns off the service for the secdrv.sys driver. This may affect the ability to run some older games.”

They're preventing an invasive DRM scheme from worming its way into my computer... I think I'm ok with this :D

Easy enough to find NoCD patches for the games that this impacts. Down with SafeDisc!

They're preventing an invasive DRM scheme from worming its way into my computer... I think I'm ok with this :D

Easy enough to find NoCD patches for the games that this impacts. Down with SafeDisc!

A lot of the companies that once used these types of junk already released versions that are not protected due to complaints. Unreal Tournament 2004 for example.

dang got me excited I raced of to see if I could use my gt legends. It was only after I opened the box that I found out it used starforce drm. Never used it.

LOL I was hopeful as I saw you can now get it through steam if you have the code without the drm. But I have no code apparently as the starforce code on the disk does nothing for me. Then I was told that is how it went down and had to send away for the code... but could still contact the publisher now.

A live chat later i discover they have long since given up their codes.

LOL so excited i would finally get some justice.

I HATE all this drm crap. So you go MS. Why did you wait all these years? pffft :)

LOL thanks for the gaming memories back in the dark ages.

WOOT for steam!! :D

Yet again, Microsoft has to step in to correct lazy or stupid programming by others.

So that's why FarCry wouldn't run anymore.

So once again piracy provides a better customer experience.

So now some kid buys a backlog game on a dusty bestbuy shelf,
checks the specs "yep win 7"
Is unable to run the game
MAYBE a patch is available to work around the issue (EA laughs at your hope of after sales support)
Tries to return the game ("No" says the best buy guy)
Downloads a crack to play a game they just paid money for.

OR

Download game/crack and play game for free.

While I applaud MS for telling intrusive DRM to go pound sand, this does hurt the joe average consumer and is another example of why DRM sucks overall.

I LIKE playing older games, but should not have to buy GOG versions when I have perfectly fine game disks I ALREADY PAID FOR from 5+ years ago.

A lot of the companies that once used these types of junk already released versions that are not protected due to complaints. Unreal Tournament 2004 for example.

Yea, but you have to buy the game again to get the no DRM version. Many of us raged against DRM because we knew it would fuck us over and they lied and said it wouldn't. Why should I trust companies like Microsoft ever again? I don't and nor should you. :mad:

dang got me excited I raced of to see if I could use my gt legends. It was only after I opened the box that I found out it used starforce drm. Never used it.

LOL I was hopeful as I saw you can now get it through steam if you have the code without the drm. But I have no code apparently as the starforce code on the disk does nothing for me. Then I was told that is how it went down and had to send away for the code... but could still contact the publisher now.

A live chat later i discover they have long since given up their codes.

LOL so excited i would finally get some justice.

I HATE all this drm crap. So you go MS. Why did you wait all these years? pffft :)

LOL thanks for the gaming memories back in the dark ages.

WOOT for steam!! :D

There is a crack for the Starforce DRM on GT Legends. It is one of the few Starforce protected games that did get cracked.

Yet again, Microsoft has to step in to correct lazy or stupid programming by others.

Uh, Microsoft are the douches that allowed it in their OS in the first place so are also to blame. Microsoft used this DRM on some of their own games even.

It's to make room for their own invasive scheme.

KB3068708 – This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices.
KB3022345 – This update adds the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices.
KB3075249 – This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature in order to collect data on elevations that come from low integrity levels.
KB3080149 – This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices.

Yea, but you have to buy the game again to get the no DRM version. Many of us raged against DRM because we knew it would fuck us over and they lied and said it wouldn't. Why should I trust companies like Microsoft ever again? I don't and nor should you. :mad:

Remember, how many people used to rant at guys like us for taking a stand against drm? So many of them got to eat their words when it turned out we were right.

Remember, how many people used to rant at guys like us for taking a stand against drm? So many of them got to eat their words when it turned out we were right.

Yes, I remember well, same people that now claim it is no big deal that we have to buy the same games twice and Microsoft is right to data-mine our asses.

There is another way around all this.

I just played old games for three years and didn't buy any new ones. So now I'm three years behind.

The benefits are triple A titles cost pennies and they work on day one as all the bugs and DRM stuff is fixed. Fantastic!

I am so loving gaming in 2012!

Have we seen details on what data is actually transmitted, yet?

So far, nobody has shown me anything damning.

Because someone said it was so on the internet, then it must be so in real life. If people actually took the time to find the original guy who discovered it they would see even he has no clue on what's being tracked or transmitted, yet through telephone game of blogs it's blown up to the idea that Microsoft is going to be the police of the internet and bust people for piracy.

Come to think about it, it reminds me of the early XP days when everyone was afraid of .net everything for largely the same reasons they are afraid of 10, which was largely overblown or outright wrong.

Come to think about it, it reminds me of the early XP days when everyone was afraid of .net everything for largely the same reasons they are afraid of 10, which was largely overblown or outright wrong.

Oh and wasn't it also that the QoS service 'reserved' 10% of your bandwidth...for something...:rolleyes:

In years to come we'll look back at all this and laugh....and get real time stats on how many other people laughed too and for how long...:D

Back