NVIDIA Launches The GTX 980 For Notebooks

HardOCP News

[H] News
The unrivaled efficiency of the Maxwell architecture combined with system innovations enables us to put the same GeForce GTX 980 2,048-core GPU into these notebooks. The result is glorious: For the first time, extreme desktop gaming — without any compromises — has come to notebooks. The experiences are nothing short of incredible. Play the latest games — such as The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, Grand Theft Auto V, Mad Max, Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain and The Killing Floor 2 — at maxed out graphics settings. Imagine gaming across three displays in full HD for a completely immersive gaming experience. Yep, with these notebooks you can do that, too.

Impressive the can pack that much into a notebook, but there's got to be a caveat; lower clocks, aggressive throttling, beef cooling that only the largest desktop replacements can handle. . .

But it's still awesome.

Impressive the can pack that much into a notebook, but there's got to be a caveat; lower clocks, aggressive throttling, beef cooling that only the largest desktop replacements can handle. . .

But it's still awesome.

Agreed.

I don't personally care for mobile gaming, but it is an impressive feat.

That being said, it may have as many SP's but as you say, there is either going to be extreme throttling based on heat/power use or both, or much lower clocks.

In the end this 980 for laptops will probably perform inline with a desktop 960 or 950 as usual.

I saw a video posted by LTT today and they showed it within %5 of a desktop 980. But those were just benchmark scores. I would like to see how thermals affect that during an extended gaming session.

Huh??? The GTX980M has been out for a loooong time. What is new about this?

Or is this a non M part that is higher in power?

I saw a video posted by LTT today and they showed it within %5 of a desktop 980. But those were just benchmark scores. I would like to see how thermals affect that during an extended gaming session.

Interesting.

I mean, if you bin the parts, and use only 100% ASIC parts, you COULD get a desktop 980 to run at very low voltage.

I would expect that it would drop during extended gaming due to heat, unless they have some novel new cooling. I would also imagine that it would lower the clocks significantly when not plugged in, as this sounds like a fantastic way to tear through a laptop battery in no time.

They are saying it's the full 980--with OC, fan control, full-speed stock clocks, you name it. I wonder if it does G-sync with the integrated panel or only on external monitors? Built-in would be sweet.

I was shocked the first time I handled a "gaming laptop," don't remember the make/model but it was years ago. It weighed 10 pounds and was thicker than a pizza box. I wonder if these will be like that.

I got a modern Asus gaming laptop 4-5 years ago, It was normal size and weight but the GPU cooked itself to death, and it was the usual gimped-for-laptop GPU too.

They are suggesting that it is a part similar in capability to a desktop 980, but able to run in a laptop.

While the mobile and desktop parts are closer together than they used to be, a 980m only performs somewhere between a desktop 960 and 970, and that's before you overclock the desktop parts, which you can't really do much on the laptop part due to thermal constraints.

Might look something like this? :p

8877.IMG_5F00_20120919_5F00_014626.jpg

Zarathustra[H];1041869197 said:
Might look something like this? :p

8877.IMG_5F00_20120919_5F00_014626.jpg

Close :D - http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/02/rog-g752-gx700-water-cooling-laptop/

GX700_960.jpg

They are saying it's the full 980--with OC, fan control, full-speed stock clocks, you name it. I wonder if it does G-sync with the integrated panel or only on external monitors? Built-in would be sweet.

I was shocked the first time I handled a "gaming laptop," don't remember the make/model but it was years ago. It weighed 10 pounds and was thicker than a pizza box. I wonder if these will be like that.

I got a modern Asus gaming laptop 4-5 years ago, It was normal size and weight but the GPU cooked itself to death, and it was the usual gimped-for-laptop GPU too.

They are only going to be in the largest models I believe, so the ~10 pound variety.

This is indeed solely for desktop replacement-class laptops, but I can see the appeal.

How many threads have you seen on forums (including this one) where some innocent first-timer asks for a laptop that's exactly as good at games as their desktop, and you have to break the bad news? Well, they can finally get a laptop that matches their expectations. It'll weigh a ton and cost twice as much as they were hoping to pay, but they won't be completely heartbroken.

Close :D - http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/02/rog-g752-gx700-water-cooling-laptop/

GX700_960.jpg

They are only going to be in the largest models I believe, so the ~10 pound variety.

I tried to Google for a picture of the one I saw that time and failed. But it did not live up to my fantasies. It was about 2 inches thick, and had protruding plastic feet at all four corners. It seemed more like a SPARC server with a built-in monitor. The only way you could take it along on a trip would be to use one of those roll-around suitcases with the telescoping handles.

As I looked through image search, it looks like similar chassis are still common, just with newer and faster parts. I think I'll stick with desktops. If it's unwieldy, insanely expensive, and non-upgradeable, what's the point?

The only way you could take it along on a trip would be to use one of those roll-around suitcases with the telescoping handles.

As long as it has a handle it's portable.......

At least that's the way it used to be.

I remember when people used to carry around Compaq portables that weighed 28 pound, and they didn't even have color screens :)

As long as it has a handle it's portable.......

At least that's the way it used to be.

I remember when people used to carry around Compaq portables that weighed 28 pound, and they didn't even have color screens :)

Zarathustra[H];1041870159 said:

I actually had to try and do some work on one of those back in the day--didn't have to carry it around though. :D

... For the first time, extreme desktop gaming — without any compromises — has come to notebooks ...

I just love these hyperbolic PR statements. Yeah... no. This isn't the first time a full-fledged desktop GPU has made it to notebooks, nor is it the first time a mobile GPU allowed "extreme" gaming (whatever the F this means) at the time -- not even close. The 780m was a full-fledged GK104 (desktop GTX 680/770), the HD 7870/8970/m290x is a full Pitcairn. Heck, my 4870 X2 mobility from 2007 was a full RV770.

That said, two of these in SLI should be amazing, especially if the GPUs can be overclocked to desktop levels.

Those were full implementations in terms of being full enabled chips but they had large compromises in terms of clock speeds compared to the desktop variants. The ceiling for memory has been 5ghz effective up until this release.

I just love these hyperbolic PR statements. Yeah... no. This isn't the first time a full-fledged desktop GPU has made it to notebooks,.

Back in 2010 or so, I used to use an express-card to PCIe adapter to run a Radeon HD 6850 and later a GTX460 in a homemade little box, with a pico-PSU and 12V brick adapter for power.

Was a fun way to run a few games on my laptop when I was on the road for work, and bored.

I used to plug the external GPU into the HDMI port of whatever TV was on my hotel room.

Not fantastic, but it was an interesting project.

Surprisingly the PCIe 1x offered by the express-card adapter had very marginal performance impacts. The biggest downside was that it wouldn't work with the internal screen, so I always had to use whatever garbage screens were available wherever I was.

I had on of these in the 1980's.

Sx-64_build_crop.jpg

I had a Dell XPS Gen 1 "laptop" in the mid-2000's. That thing was pretty heavy.

I think they should just put a Thunderbolt 3 / USB Type C on laptops and have an external box for the video card.

Lol didn't alienware also have a 21 inch laptop 5 years ago. They need to do that again with a 1440 ips 144hz screen.

I've been building ITX systems smaller than gaming laptops for years... Now I have competition for my crazy watts:volume ratio.

I never actually used any of these old "portable" computers, that were jsut desktop shells with monitors in them.

The first two computers I spent any time with were old Toshiba laptops though.

There was my dad's T1000se from 1989, an 80806 monochrome blue-white CGA LCD laptop.

toshibat1000se.jpg

And my mom's Toshiba T3200 a 1987 286 with a monochrome black-orange plasma screen.

t3200.jpg

So after much begging, and my formatting something I shouldn't have formatted, my parents decided a few years alter that it was time for me to ahve a computer of my own.

In late 1990 / early 1991, I got a 286 desktop built from spare parts by a local computer shop. It was my birthday and Christmas gift that year, and I owed some combination of allowance and chores for a year to pay back my parents, but it was mine :p

A beautiful (not) desktop with a 5.25" HD disk drive, a 20MB MFM hard drive,1 MB of RAM, a 256kb VGA card and a 12" color monitor.

I had on of these in the 1980's.

Sx-64_build_crop.jpg

I had a Dell XPS Gen 1 "laptop" in the mid-2000's. That thing was pretty heavy.

I think they should just put a Thunderbolt 3 / USB Type C on laptops and have an external box for the video card.

My family's first computer was a C64. A college friend had the portable one. I thought they were the absolute limit.

Back