Analyst Slams Amazon’s “Confusing” Hardware Strategy

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Do you think Prime members are already getting their money’s worth with the $99 annual fee, or should it come with additional benefits, such as Amazon hardware discounts?

Macquarie is surprised at how little Amazon ties its $99-a-year membership shopping club, Prime, into its hardware efforts, beyond just making Prime content — like streaming music and TV shows or books — readily available on its tablets. "We are frustrated that Amazon doesn’t give Prime members even more benefits related to hardware (lower prices, early delivery, more exclusive content, etc…), nor does it aggressively drive HW owners to become Prime members (at least not directly)," Schachter writes.

I'm guessing Amazon looks at it as "you're already a prime member, but we want our HW to attract non-prime members". Kinda like a gym membership, the less you use Prime, the more money they've made on you.

Firestick was $20 for Prime Members
Echo was $99 for Prime Members

I have no interest, personally I'd like to see them split up the shopping which I use at least weekly from the video, music, etc, etc which I never use.

Fire phone came with a year of prime, kindle owners with prime get a 'kindle first' book free each month, plus one to borrow from the lending library. Not sure how much more tied you can get.

Stop using the word 'slams' in headlines. Whoever decided to use that word is the one who needs to be slammed :mad: over-sensationalist prick

EDIT: clarification -- I'm referring to the original author of the article

How's this for a Hardware Strategy: Don't ship electronics in a paper bag via USPS!

I use the hell out of my Prime account (both TV/Movies and delivery) so not bothered either way. I do remember getting £20 off my FireTV for being a Prime member.

Firestick was $20 for Prime Members
Echo was $99 for Prime Members

This. Amazon does a ton for prime members. This is just another whiny little blogger who thinks he is entitled to more.

Back