Private Medical Data of Over 1.5M People Exposed

HardOCP News

[H] News
The sad part about this incident is the fact that it was due to negligence, not hackers. :(

Police injury reports, drug tests, detailed doctor visit notes, social security numbers—all were inexplicably unveiled on a public subdomain of Amazon Web Services. Welcome to the next big data breach horrorshow. Instead of hackers, it’s old-fashioned neglect that exposed your most sensitive information.

You know the most screwed up part? How adjusted we've all become to it. I read 1.5M+ people and thought to myself. Whelp, at least it wasn't huge.

This is why I'm not a fan of the part of Obamacare that more or less requires the practice of storing medical data in the cloud and having it accessible to patients via the web.

It's essentially impossible to be HIPAA compliant and keep medical records safe.

Also, my right to privacy should extend to my medical data. I shouldn't be compelled to give it to the government. It doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to give anonymized data for statistical purposes, but it should be opt in, not required.

Sad day when people think hippa compliance has anything to do with socialized medacine, or that there data wasn't already being reviewed by agencies. Where a medical provider lazily and carelessly stores your data is their fault. Thats like blaming a bank for a retailers breach.
For the record the AARA feom 2009 required electronic accessibility to medical records not the ACA.
Lastly if you read the article the chief information and security officer is to blame at the claim company.

So do those companies need to sign a ToS with Amazon as well to say they need to have a mediator for small claims court instead of any potential litigation? :D

Back