New Study Shows Upgrading to Latest AMD Processor Reduces Greenhouse Gas Emissions

HardOCP News

[H] News
Results of an AMD carbon footprint analysis of its 6th Generation A-Series Accelerated Processing Unit (APU), codenamed “Carrizo”, show that using the new processor can result in a 50 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions compared to the previous generation APU. The study results are based on the widely accepted Greenhouse Gas Protocol (GHGP) established by the World Resources Institute (WRI) and World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), and were announced today during an AMD sponsored media panel on energy efficient information technology. Research shows that 60 percent of Fortune 100 companies have established public targets for reducing their greenhouse gas emissions.

I couldn't wade through the entire white paper but I would think that since this requires the purchase of a new laptop, and laptop use models are not the most aggressive, that some of the gains might be offset by the need to purchase the new laptop ... also, since consumers don't generally pay much attention to GHG emissions as a purchase factor I am unclear on the overall benefit ...

the biggest bang for the buck (from a carbon perspective) would likely be on the server front since with the expansion of cloud computing that market is booming ... how does AMD compare with Intel on that front and do they offer Server chips with 50% reductions in GHG emissions

That's pretty desperate.

The best way to curb your "pollutant" production is to STOP BUYING NEW SHIT EVERY FUCKING WEEK.

Oh AMD, are things that bad?

Such drivel is to be expected I guess, when you have nothing competitive on the market.

Pathetic.

were announced today during an AMD sponsored media panel on energy efficient information technology

AMD, you gave us Cool and Quiet, for which we (well, me) will always keep you in our treehugging hearts. I seriously liked CnQ. One could edit the source file for the Linux K8 CnQ driver, because the load percentage at which it kicked in was #defined in the beginning.
I made mine really conservative, only throttling the clock when literally nothing was happening.

But when I wanted green, I bought a low clocked i3, 4 gigs of RAM in one stick, a microatx mobo with DVI output and a SSD. PSU was a Corsair CX 430 v2 so 'green enough'. I turned down everything in the house leaving just the PC, it consumed like 40-50 watts during typing in word (not counting monitor).

Depending on the scenario, for some, whatever they gain by AMDs lowered pull, they'll probably lose in the form of time needed to have stuff done.

i like how they say that they improved it upon their own product but dont talk about competitors products (intel,arm).

maybe they are even better than these new AMD apus

i like how they say that they improved it upon their own product but dont talk about competitors products (intel,arm).

maybe they are even better than these new AMD apus

Well, I don't have much laptop experience, but my Asus Chromebox, with a Broadwell based dual core Celeronin it, draws about 5W at the wall when idle, and I've never seen it pull more than 12W at the wall, FOR THE ENTIRE SYSTEM, drive, RAM, GPU, everything!

Good. For. Them.

I wonder how much "greenhouse gas emissions" were used to come up with the report... Or are we not supposed to consider that hypocritical fact of the green lobby?

But when I wanted green, I bought a low clocked i3, 4 gigs of RAM in one stick, a microatx mobo with DVI output and a SSD. PSU was a Corsair CX 430 v2 so 'green enough'. I turned down everything in the house leaving just the PC, it consumed like 40-50 watts during typing in word (not counting monitor).

I did something similar when I built my HTPC. Lower end i3, 4 GB of low power ram, SSD for the OS, and green WD drives for the recorded shows, HDMI connection to the TV, cable card 4 channel tuner. Power draw was under 40 watts, even when recording 4 shows. Plus I set it to go to sleep when not being used. Much better solution than the 2 DRV's I had before that each took 40 watts all day, even when not in use and turned off. Went from averaging 80 watts/hour to less than 20.

Biggest problem was finding a good low wattage, efficient power supply. Ended up with a 380 watts bronze supply, which was a big improvement over the 550 watt supply I started with.

Zarathustra[H];1041862361 said:
Well, I don't have much laptop experience, but my Asus Chromebox, with a Broadwell based dual core Celeronin it, draws about 5W at the wall when idle, and I've never seen it pull more than 12W at the wall, FOR THE ENTIRE SYSTEM, drive, RAM, GPU, everything!

To be fair, and I have a Chromebook as well, you never do more then 12 watts worth of work on a Chromebook

:D

That's pretty desperate.

The best way to curb your "pollutant" production is to STOP BUYING NEW SHIT EVERY FUCKING WEEK.

outside of being a key player in a technological breakthrough, the best way is to kill yourself, and turn your body into fertilizer.

not a popular avenue though (except for some forests in japan)

To be fair, and I have a Chromebook as well, you never do more then 12 watts worth of work on a Chromebook

:D

I'm not sure how this compares to most chromebooks, but I have found that after hacking it and installing linux on it, it has been a great little HTPC box running Kodi with a MythTV plugin.

For $200 you get a dual core desktop class Celeron (clocked pretty low though) 2GB of RAM and a 16GB SSD.

I stream everything from my NAS, and just use it as a frontend. It's been great.

AMD going Green? That is delicious irony.
w5rB6BI.png

And how much more reduction could there be if you switched to the latest Intel processor instead?

Oh thanks! I totally missed that and I even read the article for once. :eek:

No a 5V Pentium 60.

You don't mean one of those thingies with the GOLD top on it do you...that people used to stick into a Socket 4 connector long before all this stupid LGA, BGA, YMCABBCUSDAWTFBBQ stuff do you?

You don't mean one of those thingies with the GOLD top on it do you...that people used to stick into a Socket 4 connector long before all this stupid LGA, BGA, YMCABBCUSDAWTFBBQ stuff do you?

I might be... I might be... :D

I might be... I might be... :D

I heard rumors that Intel had to do some public relations stuff after it was discovered that there was an unintended math error in those processors. Rumor has it that the 60 MHz Pentium could divide by zero and we all know what happens when someone does that.

Those rumors were true. I believe they resolved it in the later model 90 and 75 versions. I never owned the 60 or 66 versions, but had a 90, 100, 120, 133, 166, 200, 233MMX, and up. :D (had too much disposable income back then living at home and working)

My P90 had the FDIV bug. I could have exchanged it, but I never really cared that much. That P90 machine with 16MB ram and 1GB SCSI hd cost over $3,000! It was probably overkill at the time, though. Now I'm a lot more frugal with my purchasing.

AMD should put up some sort of calculator so you can put in your current system's wattage and give you a break even point for when the new system would start to pay off after factoring in having to buy the new equipment. Of course, actual hard numbers might serve as a dis-incentive.

Those rumors were true. I believe they resolved it in the later model 90 and 75 versions. I never owned the 60 or 66 versions, but had a 90, 100, 120, 133, 166, 200, 233MMX, and up. :D (had too much disposable income back then living at home and working)

I never had the 60 or 66 variants. My first one was a P90, followed by a P120.

Then I had a Pentium 150 (pre-MMX) which I held on to for YEARS). It overclocked to 200Mhz.

I used it and my 6MB Canopus Pure 3D Voodoo 1 card WAY longer than most.

Didn't upgrade again until I got back to college for my Sophomore year, in the fall of 2000.

After working the entire summer I was able to afford a newly launched Duron 650 (which clocked to 950!) and a GeForce 2 GTS

Zarathustra[H];1041862557 said:
I never had the 60 or 66 variants. My first one was a P90, followed by a P120.

Then I had a Pentium 150 (pre-MMX) which I held on to for YEARS). It overclocked to 200Mhz.

I used it and my 6MB Canopus Pure 3D Voodoo 1 card WAY longer than most.

Didn't upgrade again until I got back to college for my Sophomore year, in the fall of 2000.

After working the entire summer I was able to afford a newly launched Duron 650 (which clocked to 950!) and a GeForce 2 GTS

Ahh the Pure 3D! I had one of those too at one point. My P166 was the first CPU that I overclocked too, only I think I could only get it to 180 or something along those lines.

Ahh the Pure 3D! I had one of those too at one point. My P166 was the first CPU that I overclocked too, only I think I could only get it to 180 or something along those lines.

I really started OCing though when I got my SL2W8. That's really where the fun started.

I've got like this huge pile of old processors that I kinda inherited, but I have to be honest and say I've never used the vast majority of them because they were like dinosaur technology before I was born. :) Still, it's pretty cool stuff. I think there's a Socket 5 P-75 someplace in my little box of old CPUs, but I don't have one of the bigger and slower Socket 4 chips.

This is really only leveraging the fact that they added the same improvements that Intel did with Haswell:

Control platform power (things besides the chipset):

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7047/the-haswell-ultrabook-review-core-i74500u-tested/3

And Active Idle new sleep states:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture/3

Without this, Kaveri notebook processors had terrible battery life when doing such heavy things as...browsing the web :D

Now at least they SHOULD have long idle battery life again, but we'll see if they can keep the power down when they're actually doing something.

Ahh the Pure 3D! I had one of those too at one point.

Nice!

Mine was actually not branded Canopus Pure 3d, but I usually call it that, because that's what people on here are familiar with.

The exact same 6mb card, manufactured in the same plant was sold in Europe as the "Miro Hiscore 3D". I lived in Sweden at the time I got it (Back in US now)

In college I was always amused that my Pentium with a voodoo1 ran circles around my friends much newer PC's in our little impromptu Dorm Quake2 tournaments. Everyone scratched their heads about that. They all had high end PII desktops their parents had bought them for college, and my ancient "communist beige" beater of a computer ran circles around all of them :p

My P166 was the first CPU that I overclocked too, only I think I could only get it to 180 or something along those lines.

Oh my P150 was by no means my first.

Towards the very end of having my 286 I discovered the jumpers that could allow me to change the clock speed on it, and had some moderate success.

When I got my 486 sx25, all I had to do was add a heatsink and fan, and I could clock it at double the clock, at 50Mhz!

It's amazing these days to think about how those old CPU's didn't even have a heatsink or fan in their original configurations.

I remember Miro actually. If I remember correctly they also had some PowerVR based cards. I had a couple of different Voodoo 1 cards. The Canopus, an Orchid, and a Diamond. I had Creative Labs for Voodoo II and later TNT/TNT2 cards.

Nice on the earlier overclocking! I had a 286 16MHz with 4MB of RAM. I had heard that you could run that one at 20MHz, but I never tried it back then. :D This all makes me want to start one of those "You xxxx-hardware history list" threads for CPUs. I've chimed in on the GPU ones, but never a CPU one. :D

I remember Miro actually. If I remember correctly they also had some PowerVR based cards. I had a couple of different Voodoo 1 cards. The Canopus, an Orchid, and a Diamond. I had Creative Labs for Voodoo II and later TNT/TNT2 cards.

Nice on the earlier overclocking! I had a 286 16MHz with 4MB of RAM. I had heard that you could run that one at 20MHz, but I never tried it back then. :D This all makes me want to start one of those "You xxxx-hardware history list" threads for CPUs. I've chimed in on the GPU ones, but never a CPU one. :D

I think the post would read like a 30-year product roadmap though. :D

This all makes me want to start one of those "You xxxx-hardware history list" threads for CPUs. I've chimed in on the GPU ones, but never a CPU one. :D

I think the post would read like a 30-year product roadmap though. :D

I started this one a while back.

I tried to take a new approach and list both CPU's and GPU's in the same chart, so we can see peoples CPU/GPU matchups over time. Very few followed in that direction though.

Zarathustra[H];1041862812 said:
Nice!

Mine was actually not branded Canopus Pure 3d, but I usually call it that, because that's what people on here are familiar with.

The exact same 6mb card, manufactured in the same plant was sold in Europe as the "Miro Hiscore 3D". I lived in Sweden at the time I got it (Back in US now)

In college I was always amused that my Pentium with a voodoo1 ran circles around my friends much newer PC's in our little impromptu Dorm Quake2 tournaments. Everyone scratched their heads about that. They all had high end PII desktops their parents had bought them for college, and my ancient "communist beige" beater of a computer ran circles around all of them :p

Oh my P150 was by no means my first.

Towards the very end of having my 286 I discovered the jumpers that could allow me to change the clock speed on it, and had some moderate success.

When I got my 486 sx25, all I had to do was add a heatsink and fan, and I could clock it at double the clock, at 50Mhz!

It's amazing these days to think about how those old CPU's didn't even have a heatsink or fan in their original configurations.

The Voodoo cards were the best. Ahhh, the days of OpenGL.

PresHOTT cpu's in sff boxes were absolute garbage. So much hardware failure in those toasters.

P4s were the hottest freakin chips ever. You could switch from a P4 to a curling iron and come out ahead :cool:

A curling iron is a lot more useful too if you're one of those people with terminally straight hair :( and you'd prefer some volume and bounce. :)

Back