Video Games Are Actually Good For You

HardOCP News

[H] News
More research showing that video games are good for you.

Video games could actually be good for you, according to experts speaking to BBC’s Horizon programme. The programme spoke to experts who believe that games - and not just so-called ‘brain training’ titles - can actually improve people’s mental performance.

If you can succeed at vintage XCOM you are prepared to manage any small business......

I interviewed at a company of nerds and they asked me about gaming. I said I had quit a while back to focus on my career. They said they actually are gamers and have video game consoles at the office as it improves synapses and reflexes. I fired up Counter Strike when I got home without shame. :D

Although I disagree with the folks who consider games universally bad, these broad general statements of gaming benefits are also equally bad ... some games can clearly benefit some people but it is unclear where the cutoff is ... wine is healthy in moderation but dangerous in excess ... games are likely the same ... for certain people it is probably beneficial to spend a little time gaming ... for others there could be no benefit and if gaming progresses into excess then it could be unhealthy for all people ... they would be better served recommending a daily limit (like they do for wine) and testing a wider variety of games across a wider range of cognitive skills :cool:

I would say some yes, some no. RTS games? Yes good for your brain. Flappy Bird, or other click phone games? Fuck no.

have they seen kids these days? so dumb they don't even know how to fix anything. everything is handed to them and easier then it was 20 years ago. pretty soon starbucks will be a strip club and the top tv channels would be about bating, kicking a dude in the ball and smashing stuff.

have they seen kids these days? so dumb they don't even know how to fix anything. everything is handed to them and easier then it was 20 years ago. pretty soon starbucks will be a strip club and the top tv channels would be about bating, kicking a dude in the ball and smashing stuff.

Starbucks strip club? I'm in.

Idiocracy will come to fruition. :D

Those darned kids these days! The whole world is going to fall apart because of this next generation and unlike the time the last generation said that, or the generation before that, or any of the other countless times this was uttered by people who are getting older and say that stuff as means to make themselves feel better about the process of aging, it'll actually come true this time!

Those darned kids these days! The whole world is going to fall apart because of this next generation and unlike the time the last generation said that, or the generation before that, or any of the other countless times this was uttered by people who are getting older and say that stuff as means to make themselves feel better about the process of aging, it'll actually come true this time!

i am 12 years older then my brother, we're both adults now. I got him some new inner tubes for his bike and he couldn't figure out how to remove the wheel. i didn't want to do it and just tell him how. i made suggestions on what he may need and then he did the same with the inner tubes. i old him how to replace them and it ignores a few parts and removes the whole tire....... damn noobs.

i am 12 years older then my brother, we're both adults now. I got him some new inner tubes for his bike and he couldn't figure out how to remove the wheel. i didn't want to do it and just tell him how. i made suggestions on what he may need and then he did the same with the inner tubes. i old him how to replace them and it ignores a few parts and removes the whole tire....... damn noobs.

Your little brother's inability to replace an inner tube on a bicycle is the reason why the world is going to collapse upon itself. It'll have nothing to do at all with any of the other billion or so people that are under 25 that you haven't personally met yet, but MUST also lack the same vitally important inner tube replacing skillz...

Yeah, that seems reasonable.

Yeah, certain aspects of video games can turn into very good training for real world skills.

I find after playing hundreds of hours of open-world games where I constantly read a map and find the location, that I am much better in real life than most people I know at reading maps and navigating to where I need to be.

It's funny to see someone freak out and think I'm lost, then I have to explain that we just need to keep going south-west or whatever 'till we get there. Doesn't matter which road as long as we're going the right direction...

It seems like the same technology has also spawned a bunch of lazy morons who can't get anywhere without the GPS giving them step by step directions. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Your little brother's inability to replace an inner tube on a bicycle is the reason why the world is going to collapse upon itself. It'll have nothing to do at all with any of the other billion or so people that are under 25 that you haven't personally met yet, but MUST also lack the same vitally important inner tube replacing skillz...

Yeah, that seems reasonable.

You need to stop this Creepy.

You're exceeding your 100:1 troll post to good post ratio. We need someone else to quickly come and take over the replies from here on out, Creepy needs to get back to troll posting!

I'd hate to see him have to make real repairs. When I was a kid we'd build our own bikes from spare parts and repair them, even the brakes (I'm talking inside the rear hub) ourselves. And that was most kids I knew. I bet most kids today couldn't replace caliper pads if they had to. I agree with you about kids not having many basic, yet necessary skills. One day there's no one to repair things; the next there's no one to make replacements.

You need to stop this Creepy.

You're exceeding your 100:1 troll post to good post ratio. We need someone else to quickly come and take over the replies from here on out, Creepy needs to get back to troll posting!

B-but I thought I was trolling! >.< Dammit, why does my job have to be so complicated?!

Back