U.S. DoT Announces Up To $42M In Next Generation Connected Vehicle Technologies

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the Department of Transportation is actually starting to get the ball rolling on the national Connected Vehicle Pilot deployment program.

Today, U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx made a major announcement on the future of vehicles that will make driving safer, cleaner, and more efficient. At the New York City Joint Management Traffic Center, the Secretary revealed that New York City, Wyoming, and Tampa, FL will receive up to $42 million to pilot next-generation technology in infrastructure and in vehicles to share and communicate anonymous information with each other and their surroundings in real time, reducing congestion and greenhouse gas emissions, and cutting the unimpaired vehicle crash rate by 80 percent.

Until a solar flare disrupts communication and causes a bunch of wrecks.

Or until a hacker sends out fake data and causes a bunch of wrecks.

And increase traffic fines by 90%.

Just wait until they mandate that your car self report every time it's driving over the speed limit.

Same as above posts. It's one of these new things that end with what could possibly go wrong. When ever you network stuff together you make it easy for someone to mess it all up.

Like the above poster it'll get to that point. A computer will calculate how long it should take to get from point A to point B based on the speed limit and fine you. But instead of getting pulled over you'll just get a drivers bill. This bill will include any violations. Fail to pay bill after certain amount of time and your vehicle will fail to run till the bill is paid. I keep going back to the movie 1984. We're so heading towards this crap.

US government provides grants to develop technology that can monitor all vehicles in real time.

Sam is no longer my uncle... no... he's become much... closer. Now he's like a brother... a big brother that is always there, watching me, protecting me, and making sure I am on the right path and thinking the right thoughts...

Back