Windows XP Still Going Strong In Eastern Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's astounding how Windows XP just keeps going and going and going. :eek:

A year and a half after Microsoft stopped supporting it, Windows XP is still heavily used by both small and mid-sized companies across Eastern Europe, as well as by the public sector, an analysis conducted by security company Bitdefender shows.

XP 64 is pretty much my favorite windows. since then it went downhil with work efficiency on windows and more and more a toyentertainment OS.

only reaosne i dropped XP 64 was to get higher DX support and Trim.

Suits' bullshit aside, that isn't the case in Poland.
The XP machines are have been mostly retired now and are seldom used for anything useful. Virus ridden, with worn out hard drives and toast PSUs.
Most people and their cats have some kind of kiosk like interface to facebook, many have Vista/7/8 laptops and don't use their XP laptops. I'm one of the few it seems.
Bitdefender also can't have that info because no one really pays for antivirus software here. It's all Avast free or something.

Die hard XP users are retail outlets, point of sales, ATMs, hospitals.
I'll worry when I catch something. Until then I've got stuff to do.

The public sector does actually avoid XP because it's illegal to use an unsupported OS for processing personal info.

You just filter out stuff like what OS you're using when you're in a downward spiral and can't even afford an i7 class laptop. We're waiting on Microsoft to push the dagger KB - as It had with 2000, and that's when we'll get around to it.

I do run Windows XP in a virtual machine at home and at work. Sometimes, I might need access to something that only works in XP. Or perhaps I need to troubleshoot someones XP computer, rare as it is nowadays. I would run 98, ME, 2000 and OS/2 in virtual machines if I could do VMWare guest additions in them.

What pisses me off is that Microsoft are providing security patches to the US military for XP but won't make them available to anyone else just so they can force people to get Win10 spyware.

Only copy of XP I still run is an old VM at work.

Still have some old equipment/tools that only run on XP. Until they are retired, I'll still have to fire up the old XP VM to make changes.

What pisses me off is that Microsoft are providing security patches to the US military for XP but won't make them available to anyone else just so they can force people to get Win10 spyware.

The US Military are paying for the patches? Are you willing to spend at least $1000 a year to patch a single XP machine? They have a support contract that they pay for, do you expect to get those things for free?

The US Military are paying for the patches? Are you willing to spend at least $1000 a year to patch a single XP machine? They have a support contract that they pay for, do you expect to get those things for free?

I don't use XP but seeing as the military is paying for the patches with tax payers money, yes, I do think the patches should be provided to the public for free. It's no sweat off their arse so why not?

And that's the reason everyone hates microsoft and the dirtbags that run it. They have to write the patches anyway, FOR PUBLICLY OWNED MACHINES. But they publicly tell everyone that it's all unavailable. Nice people to do business with. That's like going to a diner to get a cheeseburger, and they tell you they don't have cheese. Then the cop comes in and gets his cheeseburger. so you ask again, and again they tell you there's no cheese. Would you go back to that diner, ever? What a bunch of pricks.

Eastern Europe is broke yo (poor economies), that's why they're still on XP.

XP 64 is pretty much my favorite windows. since then it went downhil with work efficiency on windows and more and more a toyentertainment OS.

only reaosne i dropped XP 64 was to get higher DX support and Trim.

64-bit XP hardware support absolutely sucked (hurting both compatibility and performance in my testing) and it doesn't have the privilege escalation and other security features Vista introduced. Not to mention all the other new features Vista brought to the table like prefetching or the improved audio stack. The glass GUI is lovely, too.

One of the great things about 64-bit Vista was that Microsoft started requiring hardware manufacturers to write 32 and 64 bit drivers to claim Windows compatibility. In my testing I actually found 64-bit Vista ran games better on supported hardware than 64-bit XP did. There's a lot of bullshit and FUD on the internet about Vista, but it was actually a really good step forward from XP. A lot of the complainers never even used Vista as far as I can tell, and the fact that hardware companies used Vista as an excuse to drop support for older hardware didn't help with public perception.

And that's the reason everyone hates microsoft and the dirtbags that run it. They have to write the patches anyway, FOR PUBLICLY OWNED MACHINES. But they publicly tell everyone that it's all unavailable. Nice people to do business with. That's like going to a diner to get a cheeseburger, and they tell you they don't have cheese. Then the cop comes in and gets his cheeseburger. so you ask again, and again they tell you there's no cheese. Would you go back to that diner, ever? What a bunch of pricks.

Just because it was purchased with tax payer money does not make it publicly owned.... MS would be happy to have everyone move off of XP so they didn't have to support it at all, but if large companies want to pay a TON of money to keep supporting it, they aren't going to say no. But that doesn't mean they need to publicly release it, nor does it mean 10 is the only other option available....

Everyone should be far more concerned with the hospitals/insurance companies still running XP machines, who don't have extended support contracts with MS. I have seen some that are still running Windows 95....

There's a lot of bullshit and FUD on the internet about Vista, but it was actually a really good step forward from XP.

Indeed. Generally the bulk of the ideas that go into any version of Windows make sense and aren't controversial. It's like that 20% that generate the noise. And often it's not even the idea but the execution of that idea that's real issue.

I am from Lithuania and recently I decided to sign up with Outlook.com mail since the Outlook Express no longer is available. There I found out that actually residents of Latvia, Lithuania, Georgia, Eritrea and a few more countries around the world are unable to use Outlook.com since these countries are not listed under Microsoft's security page, whatever it was. Well, with a little help of MS support I was able to sign up, but they never explained to me why a high income European country is not listed in the drop down menu. Would be wonderful to hear your opinions on that matter.

Here's more about it:

Today I decided to sign up for an Outlook.com email account. I've already had a Microsoft account, so all I had to do just choose an alias for my new email address @outlook.com and to verify it TWICE (not sure why twice) by code sent to my back-up email address. I did everything correctly and I decided to send a test email message from my new Outlook.com email address to my existing email address at another provider. That's where trouble began: I was asked to verify (again!):

"Please verify your account to help us stop spammers."

I selected the button VERIFY (clicking on CLOSE button does not allow me to progress further in order to send my email message) and I was sent to a drop-down menu list of countries, with the following text above it:

"Help us fight junk email Most junk comes from automated programs, which can't solve puzzles like this. (Sorry we have to ask you to prove you're a person.) Send a code to this phone number."

There I have to select my country and to enter my phone number. No other options, - do that or you won't be allowed to use Outlook.com. That strict! What if I do not have a phone number? But the problem is larger than that. Since I am from Lithuania I started looking for my country on the drop-down menu... to no avail... there is NO Latvia and no Lithuania, but there is Estonia, Finland, Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Sweden, all the surrounding countries, but not Lithuania or Latvia. etc. There is Zimbabwe, Albania, Saudi Arabia, even Saba (unknown country to me) but NOT Latvia and NOT Lithuania! That probably means that if you are living in one of those countries, you can not have an Outlook email account. I am sure they will sell you a Microsoft Windows software... but you can't use their email. Makes a lot of sense, does it?

ATTACHED please see the screenshot, as a proof.

bg7bpggez

I am from Lithuania and recently I decided to sign up with Outlook.com mail since the Outlook Express no longer is available. There I found out that actually residents of Latvia, Lithuania, Georgia, Eritrea and a few more countries around the world are unable to use Outlook.com since these countries are not listed under Microsoft's security page, whatever it was. Well, with a little help of MS support I was able to sign up, but they never explained to me why a high income European country is not listed in the drop down menu. Would be wonderful to hear your opinions on that matter.

Well, bottom line is that European countries love to make laws regulating what various American companies (such as Microsoft) can or can't do. Often those laws do not correspond with the existing laws in other countries. Faced with the choice of changing their entire software just for the sake of a bad law passed in a small European country vs. simply ignoring that country, it often makes more sense to simply ignore that country. Stop passing bad laws.

Also, you posted this in what was an old thread about Windows XP. Your post has nothing to do with Windows XP so I'm not sure why you posted here.

ATTACHED please see the screenshot, as a proof.

Your image is broken because you posted it as "http://postimg.org/image/bg7bpggez/", but forgot to include the actual filename of the image at the end of that URL.

Phhht XP was the OG toyentertainment OS.

Win2000 was -the- work OS. Stable, simple, and ran well on shit tier hardware just fine. Still used in many hospitals today and for lots of infrastructure (elevators, electrical control, Pyxis cabinets, etc.). So long as the system isn't hooked up to the internet all those systems will probably run Win2000 until they die.

To answer Gotnorice:

Perhaps the laws passed in some countries benefit those countries and not the corporations that are trying to take over the world. Yet Microsoft should have explained this to me instead of ignoring a long time customer.

Regarding attaching a photo, it asked to enter a URL. That is what I did. I am not a programmer or coder. If this forum is for PC professionals, then I apologise. Otherwise pls. make it easier to attach photos. Thanks for explaining this issue, but also for disrespecting "small countries". Every country to me is equally respectable, unlike some arrogant entities.

Again, apologies for posting in a wrong forum. I saw Eastern Europe, Microsoft, Windows and decided to post. Lack of time to read everything. So much info on the internet, it is overwhelming. Am an average user, one could say, someone to be ignored, like a small country... I feel if am not welcome, so you can please delete this post and delete my account as well. Sorry for disturbing your peace.

P.S.: I am using Windows XP, although I have also a PC with 8.1. My favourite scanner and a very expensive one only works with Windows XP and I am a fan of Front Page Express. The changes are too fast, too inconvenient, at times ugly and too expensive. Take a look at MS Paint past XP. It's ugly, you can't open two Paints at a time. I prefer XP, especially that it is low on spying on your PC.

I would love to see OS usage data for POS terminals at places grocery store. I saw a local crashed / rebooted register this summer and it looked like Windows 98 icons were sitting on an 800x600 desktop.

I will try to provide an image, see if it works. There is no preview option, so I hope it comes out good.

outlook2.jpg

outlook2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Uhhhh. The U.S. Military is part of our government. Paid for by OUR tax money. So yeah, we paid for it. It's not like they have to do any additional work. It's already done. What Microsoft wants, is more $$$$ for every single machine that's running XP. They're the ones who wrote a crappy program that has security breaches in it, they should fix it. Buy a product, oh, wait, you have to buy it again or we won't even tell you about the defective stuff we made it with holding it together which will slowly fall apart. Why did we use defective parts? We had them left over from the last defective product we made. Didn't tell you that when we advertised it as the greatest thing ever. Sorry. Now your Visa card, please. Why? Because we can.
Microsoft sucks. So do most big companies.

It is a fact that Microsoft / Bing HATES Eastern Europe. Looking at the (beautiful) images they display on Bing.com home page, I never saw a single image from any Eastern European country. Once I think I saw something from Bulgaria and that is it. Never from the ex-USSR etc. Most images come either from Western Europe., North America and some exotic countries. Why the discrimination?

It is a fact that Microsoft / Bing HATES Eastern Europe. Looking at the (beautiful) images they display on Bing.com home page, I never saw a single image from any Eastern European country. Once I think I saw something from Bulgaria and that is it. Never from the ex-USSR etc. Most images come either from Western Europe., North America and some exotic countries. Why the discrimination?

Yes, a US company that doesn't use pictures of eastern europe OBVIOUSLY means they hate them.... I think you are confusing this forum for tumblr. Should head over there if you want to invent discrimination theories to get offended by.

Uhhhh. The U.S. Military is part of our government. Paid for by OUR tax money. So yeah, we paid for it. It's not like they have to do any additional work. It's already done. What Microsoft wants, is more $$$$ for every single machine that's running XP. They're the ones who wrote a crappy program that has security breaches in it, they should fix it. Buy a product, oh, wait, you have to buy it again or we won't even tell you about the defective stuff we made it with holding it together which will slowly fall apart. Why did we use defective parts? We had them left over from the last defective product we made. Didn't tell you that when we advertised it as the greatest thing ever. Sorry. Now your Visa card, please. Why? Because we can.
Microsoft sucks. So do most big companies.

MS should charge money for supporting a nearly 15 year old operating system. I think the ~10 years of good support they offered for everyone with XP was already going above and beyond. They have offered people numerous good chances to upgrade or move on, supporting ancient code running on old systems becomes very expensive very quickly. If you take Windows 10 as it is right now, then go forward 15 years into the future, that will likely be hacked to pieces as well. The best security is constantly evolving and improving over time, not trying to release a one and done piece of software with zero flaws.

No. It's more like you couldn't afford a cheeseburger, so you went without cheese. Cop bought a cheeseburger, and you're bitching because they won't just give you the cheese. He bought it, and that should be enough for everyone to get some. You want a handout, and that's not going to happen with business.

Besides, if they gave the patches away after charging others, wouldn't that really piss off those that did pay? Or is this some "rich man, poor man" argument that they can afford it (afford to cover your ass) and they need to pay their fair share?

MS should charge money for supporting a nearly 15 year old operating system. I think the ~10 years of good support they offered for everyone with XP was already going above and beyond. They have offered people numerous good chances to upgrade or move on, supporting ancient code running on old systems becomes very expensive very quickly. If you take Windows 10 as it is right now, then go forward 15 years into the future, that will likely be hacked to pieces as well. The best security is constantly evolving and improving over time, not trying to release a one and done piece of software with zero flaws.

The 10 years support on XP part is understandable and yes, I would be ready to pay for continued support for XP since I am using MS FPX and I do not like the new software that they release. It's riddled with spying gadgets and very much driven by Planned Obsolescence. It's not that I can not afford the new PC, new printer every 2 years, but I don't want to support something that I don't like or is unfair. It's like loving to listen to the good 1970s music while hating the (c)rap. Cheers.

Eastern Europe is broke yo (poor economies), that's why they're still on XP.

Xenophobe traitor is kicking a fallen comrade. First you sold EE to the poor communist devil, then after 50 years when you became rich you are kicking your comrade screaming why don't you stand up and be like myself?! Very fair I would say. Your turban is all full of fleas.

Xenophobe traitor is kicking a fallen comrade. First you sold EE to the poor communist devil, then after 50 years when you became rich you are kicking your comrade screaming why don't you stand up and be like myself?! Very fair I would say. Your turban is all full of fleas.

I think you dislike the guy you quoted but I can't tell...

3AE7A2DA-A29E-497B-86B0-AC94F1569257.jpeg

3 year necro. He must have finally got his old XP machine booted again.:ROFLMAO:

I still have XP machines at work, they do not touch the internet/intranet ever...
specialty equipment? I still see tire shops, cnc/mech and engraving shops with ancient old specialty stuff quite often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back