Post Office Tests Drone For Parcel Delivery

HardOCP News

[H] News
Using drones to deliver packages to remote locations is kinda neat. Too bad for everyone in the U.S., the post office in question is in Helsinki, Finland.

The Finnish postal service has begun tests with drones to deliver online purchases. According to Posti Group, it is the first company in Europe to experiment with unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) for mail delivery in an urban area, with a flight path that is partially obstructed.

Ah man! The neighbor just blasted down the drone carrying my new video card! Son of a!!! ;)

While I am certainly not against using newish tech like this to solve a problem, improve service, or reduce costs, I don't see where a drone costing thousands with a 15-20 minute flight envelope does any of that. Is there a legit reason to try this that I am missing?

While I am certainly not against using newish tech like this to solve a problem, improve service, or reduce costs, I don't see where a drone costing thousands with a 15-20 minute flight envelope does any of that. Is there a legit reason to try this that I am missing?

Organs?

Offer a same day service for a higher cost. Next-Day is huge these days. Same day is available but rarely used. Bring drones into it, and you can have documents sent across town easily.

I don't know. That's the best I can come up with right now.

CNN News 2017: Today a USPS drone attempting to deliver an eBay package from Chine, crashed into a resident's window knocking the gas pilot out on there stove. When the family came home and turned on the lights, the entire house exploded. USPS was not available for comment.

Back