New Tool Reduces Smartphone Battery Drain By Suppressing Background Activities

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Purdue University has introduced HUSH for improving the battery life of Android smartphones. The tool was designed to address the finding that apps drain nearly 30 percent of battery power while the screen is off.

The key insight behind the proposed solution, HUSH, is that background activities of individual apps are not equally important to individual smartphone users. For example, frequent Facebook updates during screen-off may be useful to a user who checks Facebook feeds and reacts to notifications often, but they are much less useful to another user who rarely checks such updates. The HUSH system dynamically identifies app background activities that are not useful to the user experience on a per-app basis and suppresses such background app activities during screen-off to reduce the battery drain.

So basically like doze from android 6? Wish they would of released an app rather than a link to github.

I guess it is easier to do that than to make batteries that last longer.
^^Asinine post of the day.

This tool is for those of us that like to take control of the hardware we own and make it perform as best as it can. Clearly not for you though, besides nothing is stopping you from buying a battery that lasts longer on your own dime. :)

I guess it is easier to do that than to make batteries that last longer.

:rolleyes:
Well, i didn't know that we only had to wish *really really hard* for technology to improve itself.

I guess that we don't have full on phosphorene based chips on production because not enough people is wishing hard enough for it. Similarly i guess that porous aluminum batteries haven't been made public because it hasn't been wished hard enough.

http://phys.org/tags/battery/
^^
All those research's achieving only baby steps on the public? yeah i bet that it is only because they aren't working hard enough... :rolleyes:

There's apps that do this, except they lack the learn feature. With those, you have to manually set the apps you want to keep working in the background.

most of my battery drain is due to the screen according to my settings screen, I like to have a bright screen as it makes it easier to read. I live with it the lower battery life (and in the grand scheme of things it's not horrible) for my added comfort.

:rolleyes:
Well, i didn't know that we only had to wish *really really hard* for technology to improve itself.

I guess that we don't have full on phosphorene based chips on production because not enough people is wishing hard enough for it. Similarly i guess that porous aluminum batteries haven't been made public because it hasn't been wished hard enough.

http://phys.org/tags/battery/
^^
All those research's achieving only baby steps on the public? yeah i bet that it is only because they aren't working hard enough... :rolleyes:

It's one thing to come up with a new technology and quite another to mass produce it. Add to this the concept that factories always have to retool for such things and if they have a lot of life left in the old tooling then they won't be in a hurry to do so.

When it makes sense from a production point of view to change over and leverage the new tech they will. Keep your pants on.

Besides, my wife is a data hog, maybe this app would have a side benefit of slowing down her consumption a little. I can hope right?

i just stop the services i don't use/want running, problem solved.

many of them will start again on their own. I had skype on my phone, then ditched it because evern after signing out from Skype, and "stop" the processes, 5 min later i am getting notifications..

Yahoo, Facebook, WhatsApp all run even after you stop them, they auto start again.

many of them will start again on their own. I had skype on my phone, then ditched it because evern after signing out from Skype, and "stop" the processes, 5 min later i am getting notifications..

Yahoo, Facebook, WhatsApp all run even after you stop them, they auto start again.

^ You have illustrated the reason why I refuse to use a phone that does not allow "root" capabilities (whether, rooting, jailbreaking or whatever the windows phone equivalent). Apps like Greenify (which only work properly via root access) allow the user to disable unruly apps from autostarting.

Also why I gave up on Samsung phones (although I love their hardware) and switched to pure Nexus Android.

^ You have illustrated the reason why I refuse to use a phone that does not allow "root" capabilities (whether, rooting, jailbreaking or whatever the windows phone equivalent). Apps like Greenify (which only work properly via root access) allow the user to disable unruly apps from autostarting.

Also why I gave up on Samsung phones (although I love their hardware) and switched to pure Nexus Android.

Nice, i rooted my Galaxy S4, but i could never find a decent app to stop the auto starting crap!

Nice, i rooted my Galaxy S4, but i could never find a decent app to stop the auto starting crap!

Oh man, I had the S4, which I rooted, and absolutely loved as a phone and had Google Play Edition ROM on it (managed to root it before the update that locked the bootloader). Then upgraded to Note 4 on AT&T, hoping for root at some point. Still hasn't happened, 1 year later, so it ended up being a hand-me-down phone, and I side-graded to the Nexus 6. Very happy with it, although miss the stylus a bit, and the screen staying-on detection feature. It does put the Note 4 to shame responsiveness wise, though. Overall it feels snappier, faster switching and with better memory management.

OK, now I'm veering off topic...

It's one thing to come up with a new technology and quite another to mass produce it. Add to this the concept that factories always have to retool for such things and if they have a lot of life left in the old tooling then they won't be in a hurry to do so.

When it makes sense from a production point of view to change over and leverage the new tech they will. Keep your pants on.

Correct, which is why i was eye rolling at the poster who tried to dismiss this and implied that new improved batteries were easy to mass produce... even the part of coming up with the product takes a crapload of research, to then do the retooling that you noted takes quite a good deal longer depending of the complexity of said retooling (and in between there must be economical studies to see if the retooling is actually viable or not and well... things aren't easy).

Back