Does Junk Food Shrink Your Brain?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Put down those Big Macs and Twinkies; new evidence suggests that junk food shrinks the brain and could increase the risk of mental disorder.

The results of the study, now published in the international journal BMC Medicine, suggest that older adults who eat more unhealthy foods, such as sweet drinks, salty snacks and processed meats, have smaller left hippocampi. It also shows that older adults who eat more nutrient-rich foods, such as vegetables, fruits and fish, have larger left hippocampi. These relationships existed over and above other factors that may explain these associations, such as gender, levels of physical activity, smoking, education or depression itself.

Or they interpret the correlation backwards, and it is actually:

People who are smarter tend to avoid junk food and tend to eat healthier foods.

But what of I like both? I'm healthy, skinny and I eat vegetables like they are going out of style, but don't put that bag of chips past me some days. :) I'll nom the hell out of some Doritos or tostidos.

Its all the garbage additives/preservatives in the foods that makes them "junk".

Or they interpret the correlation backwards, and it is actually:

People who are smarter tend to avoid junk food and tend to eat healthier foods.

I know it has to be this.

There needs to be a study done on a correlation between IQ and obesity, if there hasn't already.

I'm sure there is some solid information to be found instead of us speculating.

I do not know if it shrinks your brain. However, it does have the capacity to expand your gut. ;) That is why I do not eat it anymore plus I am an amateur competitive runner. (Junk carbs had to go.)

Eating nutrient-rich foods, such as vegetables, fruits and fish doesn't make you live longer, it just feels like it :)

When compared to my siblings, I've always eaten the worse diet (too many sweets, processed foods, etc.), plus I'm the most over weight. Yet, I've had also had the least health problems.

I'm getting a bit old, but I can still run and lift weights significantly better than the average for my age.

As long as you eat within reason, you should worry more about your level of physical activity than the actually amount you weigh.

Eating nutrient-rich foods, such as vegetables, fruits and fish doesn't make you live longer, it just feels like it :)

When compared to my siblings, I've always eaten the worse diet (too many sweets, processed foods, etc.), plus I'm the most over weight. Yet, I've had also had the least health problems.

I'm getting a bit old, but I can still run and lift weights significantly better than the average for my age.

As long as you eat within reason, you should worry more about your level of physical activity than the actually amount you weigh.

Not when it comes to competitive running. The more you weigh, the slower you go. Also, eating junk carbs does not help at all. It is a combination of running, fitness training, proper daily physical therapy and rest. That junk will catch up to you sooner or later.

Also, I am pleased that you can run better than the average but, the average might not be all that great. I think you would have fun if you became a regular runner and ate better. :)

"I've gotten really lucky in my life and I have no idea so I'm going to just say everyone else is an idiot and that I must be doing something better"

I can tell you the stuff they sell in the grocery store like every Doritos have MSG in them I'm not sure if they always had MSG so does Beef Jerky ect processed food is just a experiment on the human race to make money.

"I've gotten really lucky in my life and I have no idea so I'm going to just say everyone else is an idiot and that I must be doing something better"

Spot on. I don't know what it is about the overweight, but they all seem to have to feel special or better than everyone else. I think it comes from neglectful parenting. The same can be seen in virtually any other low income community... Black ghetto, white trash trailer park. The kids, and later on adults, have serious issues regarding needing attention at all times from everyone, needing to be constantly reassured that they are good and special, and needing free hand outs because mom taught me that those rich bastards who actually work for stuff in life; are evil. Why should I have to goto school? Fuck education and fuck responsibility I'm getting loans for shit I can't pay back, then bitching about life being hard when the bill collectors want their money. Alcoholism, obesity, poverty, and smoking all go hand in hand. Not always, but usually. People who want something for nothing and immediate gratification.

Back