Google Starts Rolling Out Android Pay

HardOCP News

[H] News
By a show of hands, how many of you guys that have NFC-enabled Android phones plan on using Android Pay?

Today, we’re beginning to roll out Android Pay -- the simple and secure way to pay with your Android phone at over one million locations across the US. Android Pay also stores your gift cards, loyalty cards and special offers right on your phone. We’ll be rolling out gradually over the next few days, and this is just the beginning. We will continue to add even more features, banks and store locations in the coming months, making it even easier to pay with your Android phone.

I've never once used any NFC features. It's the first thing that I turn off when I get a new device. I tried using it once to move data over between devices. I couldn't get the "bump" to work, shrugged my shoulders, and moved on.

I've been using Google Wallet and NFC to pay for things for years (started with my Nexus S 4G) and I love it. Will probably continue as it switches over.

It all depends on the merchants who accept it. Has MCX/CurrentC died a horrible and nasty death yet?

Have an iPhone, and I've never used Apple Pay. I guess it'd be useful if lots of places accepted it (esp the grocery store) and I forgot my wallet.

Use Apple Pay all the time. Use it to buy from vending machines, walgreens, actually I try to use it everywhere I can just like Google Wallet.

Personally, I trust NFC payment systems in general about as far as I can throw an elephant.

Phone based systems *may* be secure enough to be fairly safe if the authentication is handled properly, but the fob and smart (chip) card based NFC/RFID readers/cards I won't touch (e.g. PayPass, etc).

My credit card already supports NFC, so I'm not going to bother.

Not here.

It's a communications device (phone, email and texting), that lets me waste time playing games when I'm bored.
It's easily lost or stolen, and it's not going anywhere near my bank account. I don't even have a credit card setup in Google play.

i thought they launched this in 2012 with the nexus 4 android phone?

I love Google Wallet, and think it should be a standard everywhere. I started using it on my Galaxy Nexus way back in the day. Quite awesome and convenient. I make sure my phone has it and that it works.

Zarathustra[H];1041848583 said:
I have a credit card and paypal already. I don't need anything else.

Google Pay isn't a credit card. You can get one, but you don't have to.

I've been a relatively long time user of Google touch-to-pay services (currently Wallet). It's fast, secure, and convenient and is my preferred payment choice if available. I'll have no problem switching to Google Pay but I don't know why it's necessary since Wallet works fine as it is.

So is this any different than google wallet?

The NFC payment options of Wallet are being removed and put into Pay. The new Google Wallet will not have NFC payment capabilities and will act purely as a wallet (common noun wallet).

NFC payments are hit and miss. 90% of the time I try to use them the machine has the feature disabled or it doesn't work. So even if I did lose/forget my wallet, I still have to make sure the store I go to actually accepts the damn thing and has it working.

NFC payments are hit and miss. 90% of the time I try to use them the machine has the feature disabled or it doesn't work. So even if I did lose/forget my wallet, I still have to make sure the store I go to actually accepts the damn thing and has it working.

It also tends to cause the cashier to freak out.

And it takes too long. Turn on phone, enter unlock password (I turned off my fingerprint reader because fingerprint readers aren't secure), enter wallet PIN, hold device to NFC reader and hope it catches. It's like paying with a check.

The other day I went to Target and this was my experience because my credit card has an NFC chip.

Cashier: That will be $13.27
Me: *swipes card* -Error chip detected.-
Cashier: Insert into the chip slot.
Me: What?
Cashier: *points at bottom of machine to tiny nearly invisible slot below*
Me: *put card in and pull out* -Error please leave card.-
Cashier: You have to leave it in. Try again.
Me: *put card in slot* -Error please wait.-
Cashier: Wait not yet, take it out, ok put it in, wait take it out again.
Me: *put card in slot, leave it there for 10 seconds* -Card authorized.-

Holy fuck, I could've just swiped and it took 3 seconds what's the point of the fucking slot? And why so long to read? I've never had so many issues using tap and pay.

The other day I went to Target and this was my experience because my credit card has an NFC chip.

Holy fuck, I could've just swiped and it took 3 seconds what's the point of the fucking slot? And why so long to read? I've never had so many issues using tap and pay.

If your credit card has NFC, why did you have to put it in the slot? The whole point of NFC is to "tap and pay". Not stick in the slot or swipe.

He's confusing the chip part of chip and pin with NFC.

Yeah, that's what I thought. As for me, the reason why I love Google Wallet is that it's so freaking easy. Unlock phone, tap, done. Also, there is that coolness factor. :D All the cashiers and people behind me are like "IS THAT AN IPHONE!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!" I'm like, no, Google Wallet, which was around 3 years before you guys ever knew that Apple did this.

Some implementation difficulties are to be expected with any new technology.

Target's implementation of terminals that accept chip based cards appears to have been particularly rough, judging by the people I've wound up in line behind.

IMHO, introducing another platform into the payment chain (Apple Phone, or Android Phone, or even PayPal) is just a matter of introducing another point of failure that could be compromised.

Chip based credit cards really are the best option, but the problem here is that U.S. requirements have gone with chip-and-signature implementations rather than "chip-and-pin" like the rest of the world. it is unclear to me if chip-and-signature is really any more secure than magstrip-and-signature.

The PIN bit of the chip-and-pin is really key.

So, prepare for more half-assed credit security for the foreseeable future, because our banks think we are too lazy to type in a pin.

Zarathustra[H];1041854892 said:

So, prepare for more half-assed credit security for the foreseeable future, because our banks think we are too lazy to type in a pin.

That's not really the case. You're still authenticating the CARD is legit since it has some cryptography going on, but with the signature vs the pin, you're just making it so that you don't have some sort of verification that the PERSON is making the purchase.

Its better than the magstripe (which can be duped), but a PIN would be better than a signature.

The point of the slot is that a credit card with a chip is able to conduct a credit card transaction without having to transmit the credit card number to the store's POS (Point of Sale) system. That way, even if the cash registers are compromised, an attacker wouldn't be able to get people's credit card numbers because the only thing the cash register sees is a single use token.

Zarathustra[H];1041854892 said:
Some implementation difficulties are to be expected with any new technology.

Target's implementation of terminals that accept chip based cards appears to have been particularly rough, judging by the people I've wound up in line behind.

IMHO, introducing another platform into the payment chain (Apple Phone, or Android Phone, or even PayPal) is just a matter of introducing another point of failure that could be compromised.

Chip based credit cards really are the best option, but the problem here is that U.S. requirements have gone with chip-and-signature implementations rather than "chip-and-pin" like the rest of the world. it is unclear to me if chip-and-signature is really any more secure than magstrip-and-signature.

Chip and signature still means the cash register doesn't ever see the actual credit card number.

Chip and pin is popular in Europe because Europe does not traditionally have "online" credit card systems where they can verify the status of the card in real time (e.g. whether it has been revoked or not).

Chip and pin is popular in Europe because Europe does not traditionally have "online" credit card systems where they can verify the status of the card in real time (e.g. whether it has been revoked or not).

I don't know about that.

I grew up in Europe (Sweden). We had electronic credit card / bank card terminals everywhere before even in the U.S, and they would definitely reject a bad card.

When I left Sweden in the late 90's, I felt like there were WAY fewer such electronic systems here than there were in Sweden. Even the freaking newsstands had electronic card readers there in the late 90's.

They abandoned the magstripe system when it was apparent that it wasn't secure, and moved on to the chip system though.

The only reason we don't have it here is because we are just as lazy and shortsighted as we always are.

He's confusing the chip part of chip and pin with NFC.

My chase card has or had NFC for awhile before this new chip system. I was able to easily tap on most card machines (that were active) and the transaction went through instantly. The instructions for using the chip on the machine were just unclear to me and I wasn't aware I had to leave the card in the machine while it proccesses the transaction.

My question is - how is this supposed to make my life easier or better in any way? So far I have not come up with an answer. Thus, I don't feel like being a tool for google just so they can better compete with paypal.

My chase card has or had NFC for awhile before this new chip system. I was able to easily tap on most card machines (that were active) and the transaction went through instantly. The instructions for using the chip on the machine were just unclear to me and I wasn't aware I had to leave the card in the machine while it proccesses the transaction.

But the part you were having problems with isn't NFC. NFC has nothing to do with why you were having problems.

Zarathustra[H];1041855088 said:
I don't know about that.

I grew up in Europe (Sweden). We had electronic credit card / bank card terminals everywhere before even in the U.S, and they would definitely reject a bad card.

When I left Sweden in the late 90's, I felt like there were WAY fewer such electronic systems here than there were in Sweden. Even the freaking newsstands had electronic card readers there in the late 90's.

They abandoned the magstripe system when it was apparent that it wasn't secure, and moved on to the chip system though.

The only reason we don't have it here is because we are just as lazy and shortsighted as we always are.

You can have an electronic terminal but that doesn't mean it is communicating in real time with the credit card company. Telecommunications costs in Europe have traditionally been much higher than the US making it less cost effective to use the phone line to call in each credit card transaction. Electronic online credit card processing in the US started appearing in the 70s; it didn't really take off in Europe until much later.

I know that, which is why I am wondering why they have to go with this slower technology.

NFC isn't slower (in phones anyway). Before I get to the register or as the cashier is scanning, I have unlocked the app. All I have to do is unlock the phone again (4 digit pin), hold the phone over the pad for a split second, and the transaction is done literally 2 seconds later.

For me, it is much faster than pulling my wallet out, pulling my card out, swiping, and putting everything back. This is doubly true for my GF that has to dig through the Bag of Holding for her wallet.

NFC isn't slower (in phones anyway). Before I get to the register or as the cashier is scanning, I have unlocked the app. All I have to do is unlock the phone again (4 digit pin), hold the phone over the pad for a split second, and the transaction is done literally 2 seconds later.

For me, it is much faster than pulling my wallet out, pulling my card out, swiping, and putting everything back. This is doubly true for my GF that has to dig through the Bag of Holding for her wallet.

I think you're misunderstanding the conversation. I was complaining about how the new card on chip technology takes longer to read than NFC.

Back