Cross-Platform Co-op Added To Win10 Minecraft

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft just announced cross-platform co-op multiplayer support for Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta.

The upcoming 0.12.1 update is, in a word, awesome. For the first time ever, up to five friends can play cross-platform multiplayer on a local network between Minecraft: Pocket Edition and Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta. The Windows 10 Edition Beta also now allows up to five friends play together over Xbox Live. And no matter what edition you’re playing, you’ll be able to buff up your equipment with special effects from enchanting tables.

My son will be so stoked for this. Now he can set up a little home server and when there are more friends over than have MC-capable laptops, they can all still play together. Or all play on tablets without it being peer-to-peer only.

Zarathustra[H];1041844629 said:
I thought the Windows 10 version of Minecraft essentially was PE.

I think it is an updated version of it. Which is sad, I would have liked to instead seen a none java version of the PC edition, or at the very least the console version which is pretty close to the PC version now.

he Windows 10 Edition Beta also now allows up to five friends play together over Xbox Live.
Except Billy's friend using Xbox Live have to pay a monthly fee.

200_s.gif

I think it is an updated version of it. Which is sad, I would have liked to instead seen a none java version of the PC edition, or at the very least the console version which is pretty close to the PC version now.

I thought the intention was to either integrate the necessary code or migrate everything to .NET with the Windows 10 Edition? I know they changed the launcher a while back so that it will automatically download any necessary Java versions when you launch the game. To be honest, since then I have not paid enough attention to see whether or not the current Windows 10 Edition Beta is doing the same thing or not.

Has Xbox controller been made native yet or will I still have to use the Joystick Mod?

Also will I have to buy this new Microsoft version, or will it be an upgrade from my "standard" Windows version?

Has Xbox controller been made native yet or will I still have to use the Joystick Mod?
It's been native since Day1. It's the wireless part that is not. They are supposed to be releasing a wireless receiver for it. For now, plug it in via USB and it downloads drivers from windows update.

Zarathustra[H];1041844629 said:
I thought the Windows 10 version of Minecraft essentially was PE.

It's not essentially the mobile version. It IS the mobile version.

It's been native since Day1. It's the wireless part that is not. They are supposed to be releasing a wireless receiver for it. For now, plug it in via USB and it downloads drivers from windows update.

I think he means within the game. Minecraft on PC didn't support an XBOX controller without using something like XPadder. I'm pretty sure it works natively within the Windows 10 Edition Beta.

I thought the intention was to either integrate the necessary code or migrate everything to .NET with the Windows 10 Edition? I know they changed the launcher a while back so that it will automatically download any necessary Java versions when you launch the game. To be honest, since then I have not paid enough attention to see whether or not the current Windows 10 Edition Beta is doing the same thing or not.

You're confused. Microsoft has no interest in overhauling the real PC version. This is simply about the mobile version. They're trying to capitalize on the confusion with this Windows 10 Edition marketing gimmick.

Also will I have to buy this new Microsoft version, or will it be an upgrade from my "standard" Windows version?

If you own the standard PC version, you just have to login to your Mojang account at the Mojang website and receive a key to put into the Windows 10 Store.

You're confused. Microsoft has no interest in overhauling the real PC version. This is simply about the mobile version. They're trying to capitalize on the confusion with this Windows 10 Edition marketing gimmick.

That is disappointing. I was really hoping for an eventual release that didn't require Java. It is the only remaining software on my PCs that needs Java to function properly. Everything else I can live without.

I think he means within the game. Minecraft on PC didn't support an XBOX controller without using something like XPadder. I'm pretty sure it works natively within the Windows 10 Edition Beta.
Oops. Completely misread his post.

Back