Why Security Experts Are Using An Ancient Email Format In 2015

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While everyone else is shooting their messages off in Outlook or Gmail, many security experts are sticking with simpler and more secure command-line email clients like mutt.

“Simplicity is security,” said Marek Tuszynski of the Tactical Technology Collective, an NGO that trains activists and reporters to use digital privacy and security tools. “Command line tools are generally characterised by much simpler design, much fewer lines of code, and the non-existence of vulnerable code (Java, Flash etc)—all of which generally means better security (less bugs, more stability).”

How many security experts use SquirrelMail with JavaScript disabled? Maybe it doesn't count since it's web-based.

I decided Orwell was paranoid and it isn't all that big of deal. I do understand people desirous of privacy though.

(and I think we'll get around to establishing privacy laws before too incredibly long..)

Why even bother with a mutt client when you can telnet/openssl via command-line.

Simplicity is security

But it's not though. A simple program can possibly be less secure than a more complex one. It's all a matter of what the program is and how it works and not how much of it there is or how complicated it is.

Nothings truly secure on a computer. If there's root access due to a chip or some sort of bios virus, how the hell can you guard against that?

Now using gmail is giving google access to whatever you have. If your doing secretive work, DON'T USE EMAIL. DON'T USE A TXT!

loose lips sink ships.

This is talking removing factors that can effect security and it's mainly comparing to web based email.

This is talking removing factors that can effect security and it's mainly comparing to web based email.

Ya, but plain text emails are so restrictive. Try detailing a section of code using plain text....blah! Or explaining something in a paragraph that could easily be shown with a picture and an arrow.

And how am I supposed to explain this using just text??? HOW!!!!!

dancing-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif

Ya, but plain text emails are so restrictive. Try detailing a section of code using plain text....blah! Or explaining something in a paragraph that could easily be shown with a picture and an arrow.

And how am I supposed to explain this using just text??? HOW!!!!!

dancing-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif

I for sure wouldn't use it, if I thought I needed to go that route for email I wouldn't use email.

Back