Is Samsung’s Galaxy View A 18.4” Tablet?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
How big is too big for a tablet? For me, no size is too big, so long as it has a beautiful AMOLED display. Sadly, Samsung’s giant tablet is reported to use a TFT screen—but if you just want a big tablet, this might be right up your alley.

According to previous rumors, the Galaxy View will be a TV-sized tablet with a huge 18.4-inch display. Unfortunately, rumors claim that the display will be the TFC LCD kind, and not one of Samsung's more modern Super AMOLED panels. Other rumored specs include a resolution of 1920 by 1080 pixels, an Exynos 7580 chipset with a 1.6GHz octa-core processor, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of microSD-expandable internal storage.

Hope it's more than just a bigger size to deserve the hype. Give me 18.4" of SAMOLED, fanless Intel Skylake, Windows 10 x64 and pen.

Samsung is on a roll. Bought Note 5 and Galaxy Tab S2. Will buy Gear S2 watch and only thing left that I need is a 13"+ hybrid tablet.

Looks like this fall is going to see a number of large tablets. iPad Pro, rumors of a 14" Surface Pro 4 which I hope is true, this, another 12" Samsung Windows 10 device and Toshiba demoed a 12" Windows 10 at IFA though I didn't notice much distinguishing about that one. Guess we'll see if these larger tablets bring a boost to the market.

A 10" tablet is about the limit for me to be able to use comfortably. If I have to stand it on a desk to use it, I might as well get a touchscreen laptop.

Nah. 10" is the worst because it requires two hands but is too small for productivity and creativity. Even 12" is too small. I'd say 13" is bare minimum while ~14" is closer to the sweet spot.

~6" is best for pocketability
8" for one handed use
13"+ for two handed use

Isn't that low resolution for a tablet? I just looked up the latest iPad Mini resolution and it's 2048x1536.

That said, that $3k 4k tablet is a bit much.

hope to heck sammy support this better than they do with the note pro

A 10" tablet is about the limit for me to be able to use comfortably. If I have to stand it on a desk to use it, I might as well get a touchscreen laptop.

I think that's the point. These sized tablets are certainly meant to be laptop replacements or at the very least more than basic consumption devices.

Those could be handy for specific uses, not as a carry around device. :p It could double or triple duty if space is limited as a monitor for watching movies, as an Android PC with a keyboard added (obvs Android OS with a KB + mouse would be better) and/or as tablet. If data is synced between it and another Android device, it could be more convenient to use than a phone while at home.

If data is synced between it and another Android device, it could be more convenient to use than a phone while at home.

Interesting, people would freak out about this on Windows as some evil plot to steal everyone's personal information but on Android you're calling it a convenience. Which by the why I agree with you, this kind of syncing is very convenient.

lol, do you only have stupid ideas?

No, people didn't freak out about syncing bookmarks, contacts and documents between a handheld device or tablet and a PC, whether it's Windows (remember when ActiveSync was a thing), Android or OS X. Or even backing up data to a PC! Remember, we've been able to do these things since the 1990s!

lol, do you only have stupid ideas?

No, people didn't freak out about syncing bookmarks, contacts and documents between a handheld device or tablet and a PC, whether it's Windows (remember when ActiveSync was a thing), Android or OS X. Or even backing up data to a PC! Remember, we've been able to do these things since the 1990s!

How in the 1990's id any one "synch" data between disparate devices without a physical connection where a "synch" is just copying data over a local connection? How in the Android of iOS world would one normally edit a document on their phone and just have it synch over to a Chromebook or Mac?

My thoughts exactly, and the thing is just big it's not a more powerful tablet so it's not extra useful outside of just a physical size, which i suppose is easier time using touch screen with biggest pixels.

Up to 12" is a tablet, anything over that is a crippled laptop. Why a crippled laptop? Because at that size you could of had a laptop with a hell of a-lot more power and usefulness.

Up to 12" is a tablet, anything over that is a crippled laptop. Why a crippled laptop? Because at that size you could of had a laptop with a hell of a-lot more power and usefulness.

A hell of a lot cheaper sure. A hell of lot more useful is much more debatable. At 2.5 lbs. with the Type Cover I don't think there's a lot of laptops out there much cheaper that are more useful than my Surface Pro 3.

Not everyone wants or needs a laptop, or maybe they have a laptop and want something else. HP has an all-in-one 21" with Android that is billed as 10lb tablet. Maybe a new name is needed like fat-tablet or big-pad for these large "tablets".

Works for me as my next "laptop."

Using an ipad air right now. Screen is too small. Good for reading books though.

Why don't they just make a 40" touch screen tv and call it a tablet.

Dell's XPS 18 Touch is essentially an 18.4" x86 Windows 8 Tablet, that also is an All In One desktop. Been around for well over a year now.

A guy I used to work with had one.

It has some shortcomings, but it is actually pretty nice to sit down on a couch and use.

Not really my thing though.

I'd be tempted to get one that ran Windows instead of Android it iOS but when you break the 10" barrier they become absurdly priced.

Zarathustra[H];1041841627 said:
Dell's XPS 18 Touch is essentially an 18.4" x86 Windows 8 Tablet, that also is an All In One desktop. Been around for well over a year now.

A guy I used to work with had one.

It has some shortcomings, but it is actually pretty nice to sit down on a couch and use.

Not really my thing though.

A laptop that functions as a tablet is why I'd want an 18" monitor....but I think I'd want 3k or at least 1440p. Definitely would want a desktop OS.

Back