Build It Yourself With DOOM SnapMap

Awesome. I'll never forgive Activision for killing Radiant after the first Modern Warfare. I loved making maps for that game.

Do these guys remember that you could build your own maps from scratch and then hold them on your own servers? Oh yeah this is a consolized version of Doom so they have to dumb everything down for the consoles

Do these guys remember that you could build your own maps from scratch and then hold them on your own servers? Oh yeah this is a consolized version of Doom so they have to dumb everything down for the consoles

Were you even paying attention to the video? That interface is awesome in its simplicity but you can still make levels as detailed and as complex as you want. That looks like a mapper's dream to me.

I used to spend hours and hours in UeD, seeing this really makes me wanna get back into content design again. Having an easy to learn difficult to master editing suite will give the game a lot of life.

I remember dicking around in Unreal Editor 99 and 2k4. It was not particularly hard, but it was definitely challenging. And just making a map, and making a map that works for a particular game type can be quite hard. This seems to make it a lot easier from the technical aspect, which would likely make for a lot more maps. Though I suspect it will really make for a lot of really poorly thought out maps. Good with the bad I suppose.

Almost every game developer and publisher has had a hard-on for killing the modding community so they can sell their shitty DLC.

Bethesda and ID remain one of the few companies and publishers left that don't. Their game engines have had their quirks, but they still create games that are out of this world and allow the community to keep on developing new content from them.

Bravo Bethesda, bravo.

Almost every game developer and publisher has had a hard-on for killing the modding community so they can sell their shitty DLC.

Bethesda and ID remain one of the few companies and publishers left that don't. Their game engines have had their quirks, but they still create games that are out of this world and allow the community to keep on developing new content from them.

Bravo Bethesda, bravo.

I would make the argument that dlc is literally destroying the game industry.
Cod black ops3 already has a $50 dlc pack and the game isn't out yet. Destiny has had two days and the next one is 40$

Dlc for consoles is truly a rip off.

I would make the argument that dlc is literally destroying the game industry.
Cod black ops3 already has a $50 dlc pack and the game isn't out yet. Destiny has had two days and the next one is 40$

Dlc for consoles is truly a rip off.

I was just talking about that the other day. How diablo3 (yes it is a taboo subject) just dropped a new patch that gave some new fun things to do in the game and it was just a "here you go, keep playing" kind of thing. No DLC cost, just a random patch that added a small amount of content that at least coulda nabbed $3 but chose not to.

I miss expansions. I miss never expecting more from a game but enjoying my purchase, and then one day they announce they are making an expansion and it will add such and such content to it for $20-40. Most times it was worth the purchase as well.

Now, I feel call of duty is the biggest guilty party of this. Knowing exactly what and how many maps will be released as DLC from before game launch. So they charge a season pass which really is just 4 more map packs -%20 off. and you pay way too much for so little content, just a few map packs which used to sell in the gaming world for $5 bucks a pack or free if from community. They also killed the excitement of expanding a game.

Done rambling with incoherent thoughts.

Cant wait for this doom release for sure! Never did much with doom maps in the day. Mostly made Duke3d maps. Used to be fun doing eachothers houses or school (back before we turned sensitive to this) and would just play them on LANS.

you can still make levels as detailed and as complex as you want
My impression was it's a collection of pre-set bits you can connect together and configure along with some game logic mechanism. Can you import custom 3d meshes, animations, decals/decorations, music? In other words, can you create a total conversion?

Doom 4 = Doom 3 taking advantage of the powerful PC's today and forget any performance optimization that existed making it run on hardware a tenth of the power.

It's a poorly optimized rehash, id isnt really id anymore, it's bethesda stealing IP due to lack of creativity

Looking forward to D4.
Played the lot of them and love them all in their own ways.
D4 looks like it combines elements from all of them, although I hope they have the foreboding feel of D3 game start in there somehow. Textures look like they could do with some more work in some cases though.

I can't believe more people aren't talking about this. Doom Basketball. Double speed deathmatch. Remembering game. Piano in maps. Doom Harvest Moon.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Awesome. I'll never forgive Activision for killing Radiant after the first Modern Warfare. I loved making maps for that game.

Ah Radiant! I remember that tool! I made maps with Radiant for Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Outcast. Actually was a pretty bad ass level editor back in those days :)

Snap Map actually looks really cool, didn't think it'd be that flexible... except no custom textures/models or outdoor environments?

Back