Coding, Community, Cruising: The Complete NVIDIA Intern Experience

HardOCP News

[H] News
Our University Recruiting team creates a strong intern community through events such as paintball, an art contest and a weekly speaker series with company executives, including CEO Jen-Hsun Huang. Our interns also got into the NVIDIA spirit of community service by building skateboards for kids from the local Boys and Girls Club. Anna Hankinson came to NVIDIA from the University of Toronto because of the deep learning and social impact applications of our technology. She got her biggest project by asking her manager for more to do. “Just ask and see what you can get,” she advised future interns. “An internship is what you make of it.”

Sounds like summer camp.

“An internship is what you make of it.”

According to glassdoor, nVidia pays their interns like $35+/hr. At that rate the interns' managers need to be damn sure that they're making something of their time there. If they're not, they need to kick em out and free up the spot for somebody else. Plenty of people around would kill for an opportunity to intern at nVidia for half that pay.

Does nVidia's stockholders know they're paying people $35/hr to play paintball and do drawrings?

$35 / hour is not an unusual pay rate for engineering interns at large, successful tech companies. If you want to bring in great talent you had better be willing to pay for it.

Sounds like summer camp.

According to glassdoor, nVidia pays their interns like $35+/hr. At that rate the interns' managers need to be damn sure that they're making something of their time there. If they're not, they need to kick em out and free up the spot for somebody else. Plenty of people around would kill for an opportunity to intern at nVidia for half that pay.

Does nVidia's stockholders know they're paying people $35/hr to play paintball and do drawrings?

Nvidia pays low compared to top startups, interns at nvidia needs to foster a fun environment to be competitive with other companies if they want to attract actual top talent. Paintball and drawings are on the low end of perks.

$35 / hour is not an unusual pay rate for engineering interns at large, successful tech companies. If you want to bring in great talent you had better be willing to pay for it.

Also true. Honestly, $35 an hour is pretty low-end money these days. I have really limited expenses, no phone, cheap-o rent, no cable TV, and stuff and I'd feel pretty pinched trying to do pretty much anything at $35 an hour. That's good entry-level money for interns who can still sometimes be partly supported by parents and stuff, but as a career income, it'd be really hard to save anything meaningful for later while also paying bills. I mean really, some burger flippers are making close to half of that in crappy part time jobs depending on the area.

Also true. Honestly, $35 an hour is pretty low-end money these days. I have really limited expenses, no phone, cheap-o rent, no cable TV, and stuff and I'd feel pretty pinched trying to do pretty much anything at $35 an hour. That's good entry-level money for interns who can still sometimes be partly supported by parents and stuff, but as a career income, it'd be really hard to save anything meaningful for later while also paying bills. I mean really, some burger flippers are making close to half of that in crappy part time jobs depending on the area.

Are you kidding me? 35/hour is plenty to have money to pay expenses, phone, nice place to live and all the goodies and still have plenty of money to enjoy yourself, yes even in large cities. Obviously if you are going to do all of that you will not be putting away much if at all but that is quite a good hourly wage considering that the average wage in the us is something like 25$ / hour.

Back