Philadelphia Sues, Fines Uber $300K For Operating Illegally

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Uber will be spending more investors' money on attorney fees and fines.

“Uber knew or should have known that the service they offer and provide by connecting passengers with drivers using the smartphone application is subject to regulation by the Authority,” the suit states. “Since the launch [of the service] at least one million unauthorized trips occurred using the smartphone application.”

Translation:

Cab mafia: Dude, here is a bag of money, do something about that damn Uber.
Philly government crooks: Sure, Uber we are suing your ass!!

"at least one million unauthorized trips occurred"

Big Brother, Big Government...

I'm all for Uber winning as much of these cases as possible.
Thankfully, I don't need to rely on taxi service, but the rides that I've taken have stung the pocket book quite a bit. I'm all for an upstart like Uber to replace the "taxi medallion" nonsense.

I don't understand why I am not free to choose how I am transported. I know the risks associated with using someone who isn't "licensed". However, a private individual shouldn't need one. Also, how can you make under illegal? It's like having a pay-to-play web forum, where you can request a ride.

It's Philadelphia - corruption capitol of the USA. Just look at what the article says - they are exempt from state laws and set their own rules for public transportation. Would be nice to just cede that corner of the state to Delaware, the rest of us in PA would be much better off.
Remember the show Parking Wars? That's the WONDERFUL Philadelphia Parking Authority. A law unto themselves. Although the Reading Parking Authority may be worse - they were offered an opportunity to be featured on the show and they turned it down, I guess not wanting people to see the corrupt gangsters they really are.

There needs to be a decentralized version of Uber. No one to sue.

There will be one eventually. It is inevitable.

This is all about maintaining the status quo and destroying innovation. I'm sure this move by the city is backed by taxi unions.

Back