Apple’s Ad Blockers Rile Publishers

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Apple is pissing off other companies again. Will the crew from Cupertino stick to its guns or bow to pressure from publishers?

Apple Inc.’s move to make it easier to block ads on iPhones and iPads is troubling publishers and heightening tensions with its Silicon Valley neighbors. The next version of Apple’s mobile-operating system, due out as early as next month, will let users install apps that prevent ads from appearing in its Safari browser.

Is it deliberately ironic that the linked article is blocked by a paywall?

Is it deliberately ironic that the linked article is blocked by a paywall?

I wasn't blocked by their paywall for this article.

I don't mind most text based ads or some with images, but the animated one's are annoying. You have limited space on a smartphone screen and tons of ads make it an unpleasant browsing experience.

I wasn't blocked by their paywall for this article.

I don't mind most text based ads or some with images, but the animated one's are annoying. You have limited space on a smartphone screen and tons of ads make it an unpleasant browsing experience.

The ones that pop up over most/all of the screen, but have a really tiny x in a random corner are the most annoying. My fat fingers always end up clicking something I don't want to click instead of the x...

I don't mind ads but it's those crappy animated and/or badly written javascript ones that cause laggy scrolling on mobile devices.

What I get when I attempt to read the article is the first four lines that fade to light grey, then "To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Sign In", not a popup. Maybe subscribing is free so it isn't a paywall, I don't know, but I'm not going to subscribe.

What I get when I attempt to read the article is the first four lines that fade to light grey, then "To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Sign In", not a popup. Maybe subscribing is free so it isn't a paywall, I don't know, but I'm not going to subscribe.

If you have a plugin that strips referrals that's why. put the link in google and click from there or try in incognito.

If you have a plugin that strips referrals that's why. put the link in google and click from there or try in incognito.

Even starting Firefox in safe mode (which disables all plugins and some other things) didn't work, but visiting the page in a Private window did. Good to know that.

Back