Chrome Will Automatically Pause Flash Content Starting Sept. 1

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Just another step toward the inevitable demise of Adobe Flash. Users will be able to toggle the setting, but Chrome will no longer autoplay Flash content starting next month.

Beyond improving battery life and browser performance, the wider move away from Flash may also bolster security. In early July, for example, an Italian spyware firm Hacking Team found “the most beautiful Flash bug for the last four years.”

I can't wait two days, how can I stop them from playing right now? :D

Just disable flash plugin

Type chrome:plugins in the address bar to open the Plug-ins page.
On the Plug-ins page that appears, find the "Flash" listing.
To enable Adobe Flash Player, click the Enable link under its name.
To disable Adobe Flash Player completely, click the Disable link under its name.

Just disable flash plugin

Type chrome:plugins in the address bar to open the Plug-ins page.
On the Plug-ins page that appears, find the "Flash" listing.
To enable Adobe Flash Player, click the Enable link under its name.
To disable Adobe Flash Player completely, click the Disable link under its name.

Fixed.

I already have a Flashblocker plugin installed, so won't be a change for me for Flash to not auto-play.

Now if there was an HTML5 video blocker as well, that'd be nice. Haven't found one for Chrome last time I looked (which was earlier this year).

Adobe has been given the message. Let's see if Adobe reads the contents or ignores the message entirely.

Oh damn it. My schools use flash apps in Chrome. The teachers aren't going to know they need to start it manually and the elementary kids are going to wonder what's going on.

These stupid browser companies just don't care for people supporting computers...

lol

for most part it will be the unspoken word that will be have placeholders for you to right click and run the plugin (if the item uses flash that is if not it show it or use HTML5 witch is not bad nomaly on CPU),

for other stuff like what you just posted it should still play automatically (or should any way, if not you can white list the site to allow plugins on that kids site..)

"Let me choose when to run plugin content"
ie "Click to play" from old opera.
Which should be the defult for all plug-ins for browsers.

click to play is default for me for a Very long time as i was a opera user for long time until they moved to Chrome no point using opera if its just chrome any way (they have made it slightly more annoying now as you have to Right click run plug in now where as before you could just click on it)

If they add a way to stop HTML5 from auto play I'd switch in a nanosecond.

If they add a way to stop HTML5 from auto play I'd switch in a nanosecond.
Yup. HTML5 content can be every bit as annoying as Flash, albeit without all the security concerns.

Oh damn it. My schools use flash apps in Chrome. The teachers aren't going to know they need to start it manually and the elementary kids are going to wonder what's going on.

These stupid browser companies just don't care for people supporting computers...

LOL, I am in the same boat as you, I put chrome on most of everything because so many teachers would wine about the adobe flash updates and if the plugin got outdated, Firefox blocked it they would not know how to temporarily activate or install the flash update. Gotta love schools job security!

Back