Bourne 5 Will Be About “A Post-Snowden World”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I thought the last Bourne film was okay, but it was sorely missing Matt Damon’s titular character and Paul Greengrass’s direction. Luckily, the sequel will be reuniting the two, and the star teases what the film might be about and where it will take place.

“Without giving too much of it away, it’s Bourne through an austerity-riddled Europe and in a post-Snowden world,” Damon said. “It seems like enough has changed, you know? There are all these kinds of arguments about spying and civil liberties and the nature of democracy.” Snowden has become a powerful figure in the debate over security versus privacy, from Washington to Europe to Asia to the Academy Awards. Sen. John McCain even said in 2013 that Snowden was seen by young Americans as “some kind of Jason Bourne.”

You mean they're making a 4th Bourne film right? If Jason Bourne isn't in it it's just a spin-off.

Awesome, love the first 3 films (and Legacy wasn't bad). Didn't know about this so thanks for posting this, now I'm excited :D

You mean they're making a 4th Bourne film right? If Jason Bourne isn't in it it's just a spin-off.

The article says it will be the forth film featuring Jason Bourne. I thought Legacy was ok, but just didn't have the same impact as the trilogy.

Semantics aside, I thought the best quote on coming back after the original trilogy was:
“We always looked at those movies as really about the Bush presidency, and so we kind of had to wait for the world to change,”

Now I'm really curious to see which way they take it.

Bourne better start doing some sit-ups

kD8sNgv.jpg

The article says it will be the forth film featuring Jason Bourne. I thought Legacy was ok, but just didn't have the same impact as the trilogy.

Semantics aside, I thought the best quote on coming back after the original trilogy was:
“We always looked at those movies as really about the Bush presidency, and so we kind of had to wait for the world to change,”

I'm just messing around. I didn't even see Legacy because I couldn't bring myself to after reading the book. The Bourne Legacy (book) was a terrible pile of crap that didn't ever need to exist, a complete insult to Robert Ludlum (it was written by another writer after Robert Ludlum died) that kills off most of the characters and introduces a new main character that has functionally no reason to exist and barely any connection to the story.

It's not very well written either, I literally sawed my copy in half and threw it out in two different recycling bins half way across the city from each other. I don't think I've ever read such an aggravating novel in my life. Seeing as the other movies deviated so much from the books, it's fully possible that the movie could be ok on it's own. I just can't get that book out of my mind.

Semantics aside, I thought the best quote on coming back after the original trilogy was: “We always looked at those movies as really about the Bush presidency, and so we kind of had to wait for the world to change,”

Almost 7 years later and I don't see the world as all that much "changed". We have all levels of government debt rising faster than ever. We have troops in all the same countries we did before. We still have government(s) listening in on our every thought. Income inequality keeps getting worse while wages stagnate. The American people are back to building up massive personal debts as if 2007 never happened..............................

Mr. Damon makes more than almost all of the CEO's he cries about (~$10 million / movie) and yet he stumps around whining about income equality. Hollywood is full of serious hypocrites.

Of all of the Bourne movies the third one of the trilogy was the best one. Strange, usually the sequels suck but the Bourne trilogy is an exception to the rule.

Paul Greengrass is a no talent hack that can't shoot an action scene so he has his actors fight the camera man. If you want to see some decent action, watch John Wick. Bourne 3 was a travesty of an abortion of a movie.

trparky,

are you kidding.. the first one is the best by far (nothing beats not knowing what a movie is about, with a lame tittle you've never herad of like Bourne Identity, then see the guy kick major ass in super well dont-and-not-lame fight scenes. it was epic!

I really liked Legacy, mainly because I like Jeremy Renner so much. I think he brought a good level of charisma to the role. He has a swagger and charm that Damon doesnt. In fact I find Damon to be a pretty damn boring actor overall.

I really liked Legacy, mainly because I like Jeremy Renner so much. I think he brought a good level of charisma to the role. He has a swagger and charm that Damon doesnt. In fact I find Damon to be a pretty damn boring actor overall.

Your opinion is wrong

:)

Huge Renner fan as well. Serious man crush going on.

I think they both did each of their rolls very well. Can't knock either in this series. I just enjoy the great smack-downs and a bit of that old-school-movie mystery/coolness. Don't see that often lately, just over done, crap CG!

Is it actually going to be watchable? Or the same as the last piles of garbage of 1/2 second clips strung together for 90 minutes... It feels like I'm going to have a seizure watching that crap.... But hey at least you can make the film with no acting/choreography....

Yea the action film sequences in the second and thrid of the trilogy were very hard to follow. And John Wick freaking did it right. (They are making a sequel to that one too btw. )

The Bourne trilogy movies were amazing; at the same time, the storyline in the book is so goddamn good, not sure why they needed to change it?

Anyway, more Bourne movies with Damon = better. The 4th wasn't bad, but it wasn't near the level as the Damon ones.

Which Bush presidency?

I hated Matt Damon until Bourne Identity. Couldn't stand him. Those movies changed my mind.

Renner, though. I like him. Always thought he did great.

Of course I'll watch the new one. Excellent series. Even Legacy was good as long as you knew it was a separate movie (not part of the original series, more of a spinoff).

I remember reading up on if they were going to make another one (hopiong they would, and that Matt would be back, and being puzzled as to why he was completely gone in the spin-off ;)). Only to be disapointed in reading that Matt wasnt interested unless a certain guy wrote the script or directed it or some such. And that guy said he was out.. didnt want anything to do with it. Or something. So i was pretty well set on the chances of another awesome Bourne Identity being zero, and wrote it off.

So to hear he's back and they're doing one... fffffkkkk yeah. hopfully its more of the first, as that one rocked. I'll have to find them and have a session on the Teev's!

Back