In Case You Were Dumb Enough To Insert Your Note 5’s S Pen The Wrong Way…

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
…there is now an instructional video on how to get it out without damaging the sensor. All you need is, well, paper. I don’t think anyone with common sense is affected by "pengate," but it is really weird how Samsung’s engineers designed it so the pen could be inserted both ways—you couldn’t do this on previous Note models.

Note 1,2,3 and 4 owner here. No sd, smaller and non removable battery, no note 5 for me. WTF Samsung?

Note 1,2,3 and 4 owner here. No sd, smaller and non removable battery, no note 5 for me. WTF Samsung?

I don't know why all of a sudden Samsung decided they wanted to neuter their phones to be like Apple but I have no interest in any of their newer phones. I'll stick with my Galaxy S5.

I have a note 4 and I can definitely insert it backwards. I have gone about half way down and its not tight. I don't know if it has the same type of sensor so I haven't tried going all the way down but it seems possible to me to insert the pen completely backwards on the note 4. Definitely not possible on my note 2 because it has a lip on the back of the pen, you'd have to push really hard to get it in backwards.

Pointy end into the hole 1st and not the sacks. Not difficult boys. Should be able to do it in the dark.

I don't know why all of a sudden Samsung decided they wanted to neuter their phones to be like Apple but I have no interest in any of their newer phones. I'll stick with my Galaxy S5.

Not like Apple at all. Samsung made the mistake thinking their users were clever enough to not put things in the wrong way, and that the feeling of pushing on a nub would set some sort of alarm bells ringing that they're doing it wrong.

Explain please.

In the end paper wins! Can you imagine if the predictions of some people actually had come true, and paper had gone the way of the dodo???
Paper... all the way!

All Samsung has to do is design it so the pen can't go backwards. Maybe in a future version.

…there is now an instructional video on how to get it out without damaging the sensor. All you need is, well, paper. I don’t think anyone with common sense is affected by "pengate," but it is really weird how Samsung’s engineers designed it so the pen could be inserted both ways—you couldn’t do this on previous Note models.

That's because all those previous generations were discriminatory. This generation embraces all the possibilities that one can be. It doesn't limit you with the so called "traditional" role a pen should play. You want a pen that goes one way, buy it from one of those more conservative phone companies. That's not the Samsung Experience.

Am I doing it right?

All Samsung has to do is design it so the pen can't go backwards. Maybe in a future version.

2 things...

1. There are even pictures in the manual telling people not to be idiots and stick the stylus in backwards...

2. I've never seen a phone or tablet that you stick the stylus in backwards (ones that have a "locking" mech) so the only normal way to insert it is pointy end first like every other device so this is common sense.

Those 2 reasons alone are enough to prove that it isn't a design flaw but a problem with stupid people

2 things...

1. There are even pictures in the manual telling people not to be idiots and stick the stylus in backwards...

2. I've never seen a phone or tablet that you stick the stylus in backwards (ones that have a "locking" mech) so the only normal way to insert it is pointy end first like every other device so this is common sense.

Those 2 reasons alone are enough to prove that it isn't a design flaw but a problem with stupid people

The way the lock is allowed to clamp down on the pen cap and the pen cap isn't even tapered to prevent the pen from getting stuck points to design flaw. And the fact that almost no other device lets you slide a stylus in backwards... There is a reason they don't let you shove things in backwards, because people would do it.

And the fact that almost no other device lets you slide a stylus in backwards...
Yeah no...
I have a note 4 and I can definitely insert it backwards. I have gone about half way down and its not tight. I don't know if it has the same type of sensor so I haven't tried going all the way down but it seems possible to me to insert the pen completely backwards on the note 4.

Supposedly the note 5 has glass on the front and rear. I can't imagine dropping one.

Back