Minecraft Creator Is Unhappy Being A Billionaire

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
“The problem with getting everything is you run out of reasons to keep trying, and human interaction becomes impossible due to imbalance.” Can someone please let Notch know that if his money is bothering him that much, my bank account is currently accepting very large transfers?

Persson certainly looked like he was having a blast, living the big life. He bought a $70 million mansion, completed with a massive wall of candy, and has been hosting wild parties ever since. But he's really bored and deeply lonely, he revealed in a series of tweets.

Nothing stopping him from giving all the money away...except his desire to hang on to it, that is.

If he has run out of things to do he could join up with Bill Gates or start his own foundation

freemoney.jpg

Money can't give you a sense of purpose. Maybe if he used the money to enrich other peoples lives he would find himself.

oh boo hoo -- young billionaire is so lonely and sad.

Grass is always greener on the other side -- as someone who lost their job earlier this year, lost my woman, among other things, fuck this guy. I'm bleeding money, alone, lonely, and watching all my friends get married and have kids. Where's my pity party? Oh that's right I'm not a billionaire so nobody cares.

I'm broke as shit - but even I've already learned the big life lesson that money or not, humans can be pretty mean.

He will go buy himself a new garage full of ferrari's and forget he ever felt bad. At least he has that luxury.

Cut the guy a little slack, sounds like he is at least being honest. Can't say the same for most in the public eye. Reactions are also very telling.

I can totally see someone coming into that much money falling into the party+spending trap then realizing everyone around you is pretty much there for the money. One has a list a mile long of stuff they would buy... I would guess most would get bored of having more crap after about a year or 2.

While yes monetary problems are basically gone, at a certain income/popularity level your problems DO rise. I would suspect that they are worse in some respects. Quite honestly happiness and financial freedom is probably a lot lower than people would think as long as you keep value of things in perspective and prioritize. AKA don't buy a 70 million dollar house just cause you can, buy one just big and comfortable enough 90% of the time.

His comments about equality in income is true at that level, money does weird shit to people around you. I have seen 4 siblings literally wreck their relationships over 10k in inheritance... AFTER they all got 300k. If you ran into Notch's kind of money it wouldn't surprise me if over 50% of family and friends would have to be dropped just due to trust/money issues.

Money doesn't make you happy but it enables you to do things that make you happy. My wife and I want kids but cannot afford an apartment big enough to have them because we have just one bedroom and then the kids cost a lot in deipers clothes and food, daycare etc. I'd be happy just to make the average salary in my country. I make just a bit more than minimum wage and she doesn't have a job.

I hope he finds happiness I am not wishing him I'll just because he is rich. But he never needs to worry about money. If I loose my job then my wife and I are in serious trouble for example.

Just sounds like he's coming down from a sugar high, In hindsight maybe that wall of candy wasn't such a good idea.

He needs to go find something to do that gives him a purpose in life.

We all can envy him for money, but I'm sort of glad he's sharing a glimpse of what going on with his post mojang life, instead of just reading about him throwing grand parties and buying stuff in the trade rags.

Hope he finds something fulfilling to occupy his time, and rebuilds a decent social circle.

Top ten things to do when you're a guy with too much money.

#1 But tons of coke and hookers.

Forgot the other nine.

Every AGDQ or SGDQ he donates anywhere from 6-15k for the charities. That's nice of him. He's done in 3 years running now.

Forget about the money. Just live normal, not lavish. But, he needs to sit down and do something. Create another game, just for fun. Do something productive.

When I was out of work, the lack of money was one thing. The lack of doing something productive is what hurt the worst. That's what made me feel bad. Looking for work is one thing. Actually working is another. I take pride in working, but it's also something I enjoy. Working (at least my career choice: IT) makes me happy. Even when it's stressful, I'm busy and I'm doing what I enjoy and I'm learning.

If I had tons of money, I'd stop my current job. But, I'd go to work on my own. I'd work with computers and help people.

Some of you really show why people rarely like to share things like this.

"oh boo hoo, rich boy bored blah blah."

You don't have perspective, there's a reason the saying, "Money can't buy happiness" is true.

Think about it, you have all the money but no purpose, no need to "acquire" wealth anymore or a job or anything to work for. You have friends but a lot of them probably like you becaues you're rich and/or want something from you, rather then being your friend because they actually like you and want to hang out and have fun with you.

He constnatly gives to charities and has helped people out, hell he helps a ton of people on kickstarter (or at least used to), donating 10k+ to many projects to help them get funded.

Some of you are really quick to throw stones.

I dunno if I ever won the lottery I think id be having a lot of holidays, theres so many beautiful places to see

He should devote time to finding new challenges as being happy attracts happier people.
He has the opportunity to do what few people have the good fortune to, he ideally needs to be among people in a similar situation.
Its a different mindset. If the people around him dont give inspiration or if they arent interested in what he does, its not so easy and you can lose your drive and purpose.

He might feel he needs different people around him but who can you trust really is a friend in his situ?
There wont be many people you feel can be trusted in a short space of time.
He is no doubt bored and this will make his loneliness more apparent.

As stated earlier, a visit to Bill might do him the world of good.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for super rich guy?

Money is a major worry for the majority of us and cause of much stress. I can't even imagine not having to worry about it.

If a person was unhappy before, after the initial shine of money wears off they'll be unhappy still. Might take a few months, or a few years, but the end result will be the same.

I'd do the same.... buy a megamansion and fast cars, invite a bunch of bitches to an orgy.

Does floyd mayweather jr look unhappy?

the minecraft dude looks socially awkward, so I don't think money's the main issue.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it sure as hell can rent you some!

Seriously though, that statement of money and happiness while somewhat true is different for everyone, if you're a social wall flower that can't interact with people at all, and you thinking buying a fancy house and throwing parties for people who wouldn't give you the time of day is going to make you happy then there's your problem, chances are huge parties were not a source of happiness pre-money so why would you think they would after you hit the lottery? Some people simply were not happy before with anything, and it really comes as no shock when they can't find anything to be happy with after. This is when you hit the shotgun approach, do lots of shit and see if any of it makes your happy, go camping, go hiking, have *A* party, go travel, take a cruise, chill in a tropical paradise, donate to some groups, help out at a soup kitchen, find something that fulfills your life and do that.

He just needs to sell that stupid mansion and leave Beverly Hills behind. That place and those people are a collective of acidic maniacs. Go live somewhere normal like San Bernardino or Long Beach.

You don't have perspective, there's a reason the saying, "Money can't buy happiness" is true.

Think about it, you have all the money but no purpose, no need to "acquire" wealth anymore or a job or anything to work for. You have friends but a lot of them probably like you becaues you're rich and/or want something from you, rather then being your friend because they actually like you and want to hang out and have fun with you.

He constnatly gives to charities and has helped people out, hell he helps a ton of people on kickstarter (or at least used to), donating 10k+ to many projects to help them get funded.

Giving to charities is a good start for something to do.

If I every had this kind of money (more than I could ever spend), I'd start up my own charity that would look for stories on hard working people who ran into unexpected hardships (like a death in the family, major medical expenses, etc.) and find a way to help them, like pay off their bills, give them a monthly check for a few years to get them back on their feet, etc.

To all these people saying they would buy a bunch of expensive cars, or spend it on drugs, that's a good way to end up losing it all, just like all those lottery winners that end up broke after a few years.

He's basically learned that simply buying a big expensive place and hiding out there isn't what he wanted to do.

He'd have been better off with a smaller, more modest place, somewhere closer to people he knows.

Unless he was an unmitigated social recluse previously, most people, even those who describe themselves as "asocial" or "antisocial" are surprised to see how truly, interactively social they were before they bought their ego-cave.

Hell, he might have been happier having something BUILT to his specifications. Rather than picking up some multi-million dollar "art piece" that just doesn't fit his life.

that statement of money and happiness while somewhat true is different for everyone, if you're a social wall flower that can't interact with people at all, and you thinking buying a fancy house and throwing parties for people who wouldn't give you the time of day is going to make you happy then there's your problem, chances are huge parties were not a source of happiness pre-money so why would you think they would after you hit the lottery?

That's the problem with most people that come into a large amount of money. They end up spending it on what others want or what they think might make them happy, instead of that has made them happy in the past.

I'm not sure what I would do with that kind of money, but it wouldn't be buying a huge mansion or throwing huge parties.

Maybe a nicer house, with a great view, in a private gated community (to keep out the riff raff)
A gardener and a housekeeper to make life easier.
Early retirement so I could travel, and much nicer travel accommodations like flying 1st class or paid private tours.

Just 1/2 of one percent of his billion dollars would make my dreams come true (hint-hint)

If I won the lottery, I'm sure I would be euphoric quite a long while, but eventually I'd come back down to my usual emotional baseline once I got used to having all that money.

Having money just makes you a potential target for extortionists.
No doubt having that sort of money comes with a number of problems that we plebs can't appreciate. When we think about having that much money, we just think about all the cool toys we could buy and all the cool things we could do.

Didnt he divorced just right before he sold minecraft to microsoft?

And he's telling us he's lonely ....

Didnt he divorced just right before he sold minecraft to microsoft?

And he's telling us he's lonely ....
Think about it: if you had that sort of money, could you trust that anyone you met liked you for who you are? If I was filthy rich (and without fame), I would keep up modest appearances for that reason alone.

Use the money for a new venture that gives you purpose, notch. Otherwise, just give some to me, I have bills to pay.

He Actually met the girl way before minecraft. The one he divorced.

No doubt having that sort of money comes with a number of problems that we plebs can't appreciate. When we think about having that much money, we just think about all the cool toys we could buy and all the cool things we could do.

Bill Gates has about 10-20 times more than Notch and he never had any problems finding stuff to keep him occupied (including marriage and family) and fruitful ways to spend his money ... Notch is either trying too hard or not hard enough ;)

Back