Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Tech Report gang has posted a review of the Cooler Master MasterCase 5 today. If you are case shopping, this review should be of interest.

The MasterCase 5 is a big, hefty case with some equally big ideas behind it—and they mostly work. The FreeForm system is more flexible than competing modular setups from Fractal Design, for example, especially for 3.5" storage. I found the family of add-on parts that builders can buy for their MasterCases to be well-built and well-integrated with the rest of the case.

I dunno. The Phanteks are really impressing me.

Even if your wiring skills/patience are sub-par, the Phanteks design will make you look like fucking Superman.

Can't outperform the Define S, which is 40 bucks less (windowless version). I can only imagine the ass whupping this case would have received if Tech Report had actually had a Define r5 to test it against.

Proof once again that Cooler Master has no idea how to design a case. But idiots will continue to pay them a premium for their hunk of junk. :(

Anandtech also called it an overpriced hunk of steel.

http://anandtech.com/show/9560/the-cooler-master-mastercase-5-review/5

I have my secondary build in an Fractal Design R4, and based on that case, I'm sold on Fractal Design. The fit, finish, and overall quality of the case surprised me for the cost. It was something I hadn't experienced since my last build on a Lian-Li case, and a like case from them would cost at least twice as much. Even then, Fractal Design beats Lian-Li on design features hands down.
Edit: As an FYI, my Define R4 Titanium Grey - Window was $69.99 after rebate and came from Newegg.com :D

Last edited:
Lian-li made their name on aluminum, the case designs are poor. They have been left in the dust like a few other once popular names.

Lian-li made their name on aluminum, the case designs are poor. They have been left in the dust like a few other once popular names.

Lian-Li makes some of the custom cases for a few of the high end builders, and they have a few good cases. But yea, some of their design choices make you wonder what they were thinking. My last build on a Lian-Li was a full tower with front filters that couldn't be removed without unscrewing about 10 (I don't remember exactly how many) very small and very easily cross threaded screws, and taking apart much of the front of the case. Who in their right mind thought that was acceptable? On the other hand, every Lian-Li case I've built on has been top notch when it comes to quality. In fact my first Lian-Li case is still in service after being given to a friend. It's ancient in computer years, but it's an ATX case, so Game On!

Back