10 Amazing Science Tricks Using Liquid!

That was pretty neat.

I need to try that corn starch one some time, I've seen it before, you can do all sorts of weird things with different frequencies.

Most important thing I learned from that vid: Keep a Pom bottle filled with water with you at all times.

Near stuff. Wish I had kids to do them with. As far as I can tell in the last one the food coloring is put in a viscous liquid (corn syrup) so the particles stay pretty much embedded in it so if you can reverse the direction the fluid flows the particles will come back with it (albeit somewhat more dispersed, still looks good).

Was anyone really "amazed" ?

I really hope not.
I'm pretty sure a lot of people understand the concepts of why the things in this video happen, but it is neat to see those concepts in action. Not all of us have the time to play around with science every day. And these are experiments that would be fun to duplicate if you have kids.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people understand the concepts of why the things in this video happen, but it is neat to see those concepts in action. Not all of us have the time to play around with science every day. And these are experiments that would be fun to duplicate if you have kids.

Yeah, and that is my point; this is kids stuff. Much of this I remember from grade school science books.

I don't know. Home computers and the first consoles didn't happen until I was a teen in high school.

As a kid I did all kinds of experiments with lenses, parabolic mirrors, etc. I would bet my friends I could start a fire with water. And then do the "water lens" thing with a sheet of plastic wrap a wooden frame made from glued together paint stir sticks.
Pour a couple oz of water onto the plastic and it naturally forms a convex lens. Take it out in the sun you have a giant magnifying glass. Taa Daah, fire from water. Now Gimme that pack of gum you bet me. :D

looks like I have some fun experiments to do with my daughter over labor day.

Okay, so this being "kid stuff" makes it automatically "not amazing"?

You must be fun at parties.

YES, it is NOT amazing. The properties of WATER should be well understood by adults by now.

And no, I'm usually not the life of the party. I'm not the loud mouth telling some self aggrandizing story of his exploits.

I'm the guy in the corner engaged in a intellectual conversation with a hot chick. :p

Since you understand it, explain the last one.

Thanks

Good grief it is simple..
The water/food coloring is injected into a gel against the inside glass.
This is a "bubble" The side of the bubble that is against the glass sticks as the glass is rotated and it is stretched as it rotates. It is just making a thin elongated bubble. Turning the glass the opposite direction cause the bubble to return to it's original shape.

Good grief it is simple..
The water/food coloring is injected into a gel against the inside glass.
This is a "bubble" The side of the bubble that is against the glass sticks as the glass is rotated and it is stretched as it rotates. It is just making a thin elongated bubble. Turning the glass the opposite direction cause the bubble to return to it's original shape.

Actually ponder it again; it is the gel itself that is elastic, the outside of the gel is sticking to the inside of the outside container. The inside of the gel is sticking to the outside of the inside glass. When you rotate the inside glass the gel stretches and this is the elongated bubbles see. Turn it the other way, it un-stretches, and back to it's original shape.

I'm not gonna be (or rather I don't mean to be; this just my honest opinion) all Buzzkillington the 2nd about it, but I really expected something a bit more 'amazing' than this. It's all kind of mundane...
The cooler ones to me were where they were playing around with refractive indices (or at least that's what it looked like). Most of the other ones were just liquid density (and/or viscosity). Like the one with hot water and cold water with food coloring... probably just this:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fluid-density-temperature-pressure-d_309.html
As the temperatures equalized and the solution came to steady state, they probably would have mixed.

I mean this is great for getting kids interested in science. The experiments are quick, easy, and safe. It's just that when you've gone through an engineering degree, you've had to do crazier things than this firsthand (though it's like drudgery when doing for a grade), throughout introductory physics and chemistry classes (not counting those circuit courses and digital design labs and dsp labs). I guess I just didn't realize it when I saw that other people think of this as "amazing" because my perspective has been warped.

I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, feel free to enjoy it. Just my wall of 2 cents. >_>;

Thanks for your admiration.
Actually that has been my "screen name" for 20 years; since the dial up BBS days.

It's origin? STYX Kilroy was here album.

The story of your name origin has me sitting on the edge of my seat. Tell me more about your BBS days. Radical.

The last one is an example of laminar flow. For that particular experiment best results are achieved when acceleration events are kept to a minimum in duration and quantity. I've yet to see someone use a rig with a well controlled motor to have it come back really sweet.

The story of your name origin has me sitting on the edge of my seat. Tell me more about your BBS days. Radical.

LOL!!

Sure, I downloaded the DOOM demo from the Apogee BBS the night it became available.
That was in 1993.

Beat that for nerd lore. :p

Na,
Kinda how I met my wife.
She was taking some computer classes; that is that sparked the conversation.

I hope you realize these folks are calling you out for being, more or less, narcissistic. It's good to see that you are happy in your life, but most people don't like it presented in the manner it might have come across to these folks.

I like seeing/learning things as much as the next person on the hard forums, but there are quite a few self absorbed posters here.

And, yes, these are amazing experiments. Anything that can stimulate thought process is good - to the young, old and everyone in between.

I was actually amazed how he made the water flow around the bottom edge of the pan with out having to keep moving the pan.

I display the leidenfrost effect when I train new cooks, always fun to do!

I hope you realize these folks are calling you out for being, more or less, narcissistic. It's good to see that you are happy in your life, but most people don't like it presented in the manner it might have come across to these folks.
Of course and I'm yanking their chain for all it's worth.
I really don't find others cutting remarks to me so "cutting".

Also there is a big difference in a narcissist and someone that is passionate about ideas or beliefs. Narcissist usually expect and seek everyone's approval and act out when they don't get it.
I like seeing/learning things as much as the next person on the hard forums, but there are quite a few self absorbed posters here.
And, yes, these are amazing experiments. Anything that can stimulate thought process is good - to the young, old and everyone in between.
Yeah, understood; but I wouldn't categorize most of that video as "amazing" and that was my point. Interesting yes; amazing no.
I just have a different perspective. So is a different perspective not tolerated?
And I would bet that nobody was really AMAZED by that experiments in the video. Interesting YES. AMAZED?? How many called their friends and said "I'm going to send you a link to an AMAZING video! You won't believe your eyes!!"
I'm betting 0.0% did that.

Back