AMD Radeon R9 Nano, Worlds Smallest - Most Power-Efficient Enthusiast Graphics Card

HardOCP News

[H] News
[URL="http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/27/amd_radeon_r9_nano_video_card_paper_launch]AMD continues to push the boundaries[/URL] of graphics card design, today announcing its category-creating AMD Radeon™ R9 Nano, the fastest Mini ITX graphics card ever designed to enable 4K gaming in the living room through ultra-quiet, ultra-compact PC designs. First previewed to gamers around the world during the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles in June 2015, the AMD Radeon R9 Nano graphics card is based on the graphics chip codenamed “Fiji”, and is the third “Fiji”-based product to launch this summer alongside the AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury and R9 Fury X graphics cards. The AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury graphics family, based on the “Fiji” chip, marks a turning point in PC gaming with the implementation of High-Bandwidth Memory (HBM) to deliver extreme energy efficiency and performance for ultra-high resolutions, unparalleled VR experiences, smoother gameplay, with the Radeon R9 Nano revolutionizing form-factors for enthusiasts everywhere.

With 30 percent more performance and 30 percent lower power than the previous generation AMD Radeon™ R9 290X card, the 175W AMD Radeon R9 Nano is the world’s most power efficient Mini ITX enthusiast graphics card. The six-inch long, air-cooled board represents a new class of graphics card, enabling gamers, PC modders, and system integrators to build compact, unique, ultra-small form factors that have never before been possible, opening the door to new, sleek PC designs that are no bigger than a home DVR or videogame console, and look every bit in place beside them. The AMD Radeon R9 line of graphics cards offers a spectrum of products ranging in price from $199 – $649 SEP. Delivering stunningly powerful graphics for unparalleled 4K gaming experiences in their class, the AMD Radeon R9 Series meets virtually every need and budget for anyone who demands a premium gaming experience.

Our PreView - http://hardocp.com/article/2015/08/27/amd_radeon_r9_nano_video_card_paper_launch

Last edited:
Here we go again with AMD & their insistence that these cards can handle 4K gaming. Yeah, maybe for League of Legends... ;)

I love AMD, always support them but am extremely worried they are burning their own followers with the false advertisements lately and with a near bankrupt company, could get sued for false advertisements. Not good.

$649? Holy hell that is to much in my opinion. Will be sitting out on this card until it drops $100 or $150 preferably.

I love AMD, always support them but am extremely worried they are burning their own followers with the false advertisements lately and with a near bankrupt company, could get sued for false advertisements. Not good.
AMD has lots of problems, but false advertising isn't one of them (that I'm aware of). If Nvidia can sell the 970 with false ROP and L2 cache numbers and misrepresent the memory usage, AMD can claim "4k gaming" just fine. All it has to do is run a game at 4k. Hell, my current 670 can do THAT. Nobody has a "4k gaming" single-GPU right now anyway. I consider 4k gaming a card that can run 90% or more of modern games at high settings and have an average higher than 60fps. We're going to have to keep waiting before that happens.

If it came out for $150 we would all be rushing to buy it. At $649, about 500 people on tech forums will buy it and AMD will complain about 300 million loss quarter.

Kyle, that is awesome!!

Here we go again with AMD & their insistence that these cards can handle 4K gaming. Yeah, maybe for League of Legends... ;)

There are lots of cards that can do 4K these days. Not [H] 4K, where you turn everything up to max and dock points for every dip below 60fps. The [H] doesn't visit market reality very often, that's not what hardocp is about. Except, of course, when it comes to the best PSU reviews there are.

Surely $649 is the Fury X, not the Nano?

But at this stage it seems to me that consumers aren't the real market: they're after the console manufacturers.

lol, i know it's the full Fury X chip just clocked lower... so i guess if you add some other cooling solution you could probably get a lot more out of the card... but was fully expecting it to be between the X and Fury (if not a lot closer to the Fury).

Steve your title is just as misleading as AMD's stats. I was hoping AMD made a car based on the power of the R9

"$649"
0wxKkkk.jpg

Steve or Kyle, Your first link in the post is broken. "AMD continues to push the boundaries"

Back