Apple Patches Nine Vulnerabilities In QuickTime For Windows

HardOCP News

[H] News
While it is nice of Apple to patch its products, does anyone even use QuickTime for Windows?

Apple has patched a total of nine vulnerabilities with the release of QuickTime 7.7.8 for Windows. According to an advisory published by Apple last week, the update addresses a series of memory corruption issues that can lead to the unexpected termination of the application or arbitrary code execution.

I used to get so pissed when I had an iPhone, and was forced to use iTunes to manage it.

Installing it would result in that Quicktime garbage installing itself on my computer.

That, and every single time I opened iTunes which admittedly wasn't very often, as I only used to back up and restore my phone) there was another god damned update to it. Was really annoying.

I was so happy when I got my Galaxy S3, and never looked at another idevice again. No more junk apple software on my computer! :)

Thought I recently went back to an old install and found - gasp - a copy of Bonjour left on it.

Well, from the consumer PoV QT probably ranks 2nd worst thing crapple did after itunes, I definitely agree with that.
But for professional video production there aren't good alternatives. It's either QT with a pro codec or deal with image sequences.

Believe it or not, some older PC games use Quicktime for video. I used to install Quicktime Alternative so I didn't have to install that Bonjour server crap, which has had security vulnerabilities in the past.

That is good it hear :)

I remember using the quicktime player years ago (forget version or platform) and it would play videos in windowed mode, but in order to play full screen it wanted me to buy the Pro version or some BS like that.

it may even have been on my Exes MacBook pro.

I rolled my eyes, and downloaded VLC.

Zarathustra[H];1041817518 said:
That is good it hear :)

I remember using the quicktime player years ago (forget version or platform) and it would play videos in windowed mode, but in order to play full screen it wanted me to buy the Pro version or some BS like that.

it may even have been on my Exes MacBook pro.

I rolled my eyes, and downloaded VLC.

I remember that too! Quicktime Player only looks good in comparison to Real Player.

Quicktime was useful on my 486 and original Pentium. Now? It's an ancient technology. Needs to be removed completely...

Apple releasing security vulnerabilities onto the Windows platform...can MS sue them for anti-competitive behavior?

I remember that too! Quicktime Player only looks good in comparison to Real Player.

I always thought it was a billion times stupid of the computer industry to have so many utterly junk-tastic media playback programs with their associated stupid file format requirements that other junk-tastic programs didn't understand. Real Player and Quicktime are both awful stupid, dumb, terrible, ick-badness that needs to go away forever along with other crapware like Flash, PDF readers and PDF documents in general, Java (because it makes programmers dumber AND is a security nightmare), pretty much any off brand of Soft Soap, the publication company Pearson, Del Monte, iTunes, those creepy Furby things, and printed newspapers along with anybody who still buys and reads them! :mad:

Seriously, Real Player? Is that like supposed to be better than Fake Player or Imaginary Player or Phantasmal Player or Fictional-Ala-Bakastan-Disney-Ragu-Old-World-Style Player?! It just perpetuates the STUPIDLY STUPID tendency of people to say "I want a real xxx!" or "LOL, that's not a real yyy!" or something like the alternative is something that doesn't exist. They do it ALL THE TIME when they're talking about video cards and integrated graphics by saying, "Oh girlfriend, joo needs urselfs a real GPU to run that shizznicklepennydime at real HD resolutions on a real power outlet. For REALLY-rizzle-wizzle-real ya'll!" *head desk*

I blame that on Real Player mostly and Quicktime partly just because when people think about Apple, they think about Quicktime and they end up thinking about Real Player too just because it's another awful media playback program that no one needed in the first place and should never have ever been created to be foisted off on a world of unsuspecting people that end up calling everything "real" or saying "It's called blah, blah, blah," where the blahs are just some random thing.

some of my old games require it, because it was the wave of the future like real player... Bahahaha

I always thought it was a billion times stupid of the computer industry to have so many utterly junk-tastic media playback programs with their associated stupid file format requirements that other junk-tastic programs didn't understand. Real Player and Quicktime are both awful stupid, dumb, terrible, ick-badness that needs to go away forever along with other crapware like Flash, PDF readers and PDF documents in general, Java (because it makes programmers dumber AND is a security nightmare), pretty much any off brand of Soft Soap, the publication company Pearson, Del Monte, iTunes, those creepy Furby things, and printed newspapers along with anybody who still buys and reads them! :mad:

Seriously, Real Player? Is that like supposed to be better than Fake Player or Imaginary Player or Phantasmal Player or Fictional-Ala-Bakastan-Disney-Ragu-Old-World-Style Player?! It just perpetuates the STUPIDLY STUPID tendency of people to say "I want a real xxx!" or "LOL, that's not a real yyy!" or something like the alternative is something that doesn't exist. They do it ALL THE TIME when they're talking about video cards and integrated graphics by saying, "Oh girlfriend, joo needs urselfs a real GPU to run that shizznicklepennydime at real HD resolutions on a real power outlet. For REALLY-rizzle-wizzle-real ya'll!" *head desk*

I blame that on Real Player mostly and Quicktime partly just because when people think about Apple, they think about Quicktime and they end up thinking about Real Player too just because it's another awful media playback program that no one needed in the first place and should never have ever been created to be foisted off on a world of unsuspecting people that end up calling everything "real" or saying "It's called blah, blah, blah," where the blahs are just some random thing.

I mostly agree with you, except when it comes to PDF.

PDF is very useful as a universal document format that can be viewed whether you have the expensive authoring software used or not.

In a way it does the opposite of the others you mention.
Rather than fragmenting formats, PDF has the opposite impact, creating a universal format for viewing.

I would prefer if that format were an open standard built into operating systems for free, rather than requiring an adobe reader, but you can't always have what you want.

Anyone who has ever worked in an office with documents knows how useful it is.

Want to send someone a document with pages from different sources? Some from Word, others printed drawings from aolidworks, others tables from excel, so.E drawings, there really isn't a ything else that does that well.

You could try to do it in word by importing objects page by page, but since it is an editable format, you open it on another computer with a different printer that has different margins, and everything goes to hell, page numbers are different, page breaks in the middle of content, etc. etc.

Zarathustra[H];1041817748 said:
I mostly agree with you, except when it comes to PDF.

PDF is very useful as a universal document format that can be viewed whether you have the expensive authoring software used or not.

In a way it does the opposite of the others you mention.
Rather than fragmenting formats, PDF has the opposite impact, creating a universal format for viewing.

I would prefer if that format were an open standard built into operating systems for free, rather than requiring an adobe reader, but you can't always have what you want.

Anyone who has ever worked in an office with documents knows how useful it is.

Want to send someone a document with pages from different sources? Some from Word, others printed drawings from aolidworks, others tables from excel, so.E drawings, there really isn't a ything else that does that well.

You could try to do it in word by importing objects page by page, but since it is an editable format, you open it on another computer with a different printer that has different margins, and everything goes to hell, page numbers are different, page breaks in the middle of content, etc. etc.

Well the only reason why I included PDF is because its really, really painful to put the stuff in a PDF back into some other format. But yeah, you can take PDFs off the list, but Del Monte stays. Their canned pineapples are terrible.

and printed newspapers along with anybody who still buys and reads them!

Newspapers? If the price of newspapers hadn't gotten so expensive, I'd still have one delivered every day. I still rather read a physical paper than star at a tablet.

besides, ever try lining a bird cage with old tablets, or wrapping a fish in an iPad?

Newspapers? If the price of newspapers hadn't gotten so expensive, I'd still have one delivered every day. I still rather read a physical paper than star at a tablet.

besides, ever try lining a bird cage with old tablets, or wrapping a fish in an iPad?

Well, I would never have a bird. They make a lot of noise and have no control over when they poop so they're pretty much disgusting except inside a sandwich.

I have no idea why you'd want to wrap a fish in anything though. I can't imagine that newspaper is healthy for them and you can just buy a little net to catch them to move them to a smaller tank when you're cleaning their main one.

Theres a simple reason they have gotten more expensive (and thinner).

Dropping readership has been a double whammy. Not only do they have fewer readers to spread the subscription income over (just because fewer people read a paper doesn't mean it costs less to produce) but they also become less attractive to advertisers and thus lose advertising income.

If they want to stay in business they need to make up for that somewhere, and thus the subscription costs go up. This in turn reinforces the cycle, because the higher prices drive more readers away... Rinse and repeat.

Personally I grew up with papers, but I don't miss them much (or at all).

To me, everything about the screen experience is better. It's searchable, easily sharable with others if I find it interesting, I can bookmark stories for later, I find out about interesting stories when friends share them, etc. etc.

The nostalgia in me made me re-read a newspaper a while back, but I found it so frustrating that I stopped.

Apple releasing security vulnerabilities onto the Windows platform...can MS sue them for anti-competitive behaviour?
Haha... yeah. I have often thought that. I also wonder if Apple intentionally put their worst programmers on the iTunes PC bundle. It is such a mess, clunky, slow, and not storing album images in a format other players can use.

Glad to see Quicktime has finally dropped from the compulsory bundle, but there is still all the Bonjour, Apple Update, Apple Application Support, and other junk set to always be running on the PC. Oh - and now they also try and force iCloud onto the PC with its tendrils sticking add-ons into Outlook causing problems there too :rolleyes:

Bonjour has been the cause of so many of my client's PC problems...

Almost wonder if the crapware iTunes is designed to drive people off of PCs and onto Apple Macs.

Irrespective of the facts on this... a lot of people are using Qucktime in Windows 10 because Groove stinks and many are having problems with Zune player (but not us). I'm not a "fan" of Quicktime, I was just surprised at how many people are turning to it in Windows 10.

Doesn't iTunes install Quicktime by default? Didn't reinstall it after I reinstalled windows.

Irrespective of the facts on this... a lot of people are using Qucktime in Windows 10 because Groove stinks and many are having problems with Zune player (but not us). I'm not a "fan" of Quicktime, I was just surprised at how many people are turning to it in Windows 10.

Windows Media Player? :p

Personally I don't want a database based media library application, just a simple file player.

Zarathustra[H];1041818217 said:
Windows Media Player? :p

Personally I don't want a database based media library application, just a simple file player.

+1 for that stuff. I'd much prefer a media player thing-y that just plays junk back from some file folder on my computer. I don't need it to stream stuff or to pull file information from someplace on the Internet to tell me what it's playing. That's just stupidness.

Well, from the consumer PoV QT probably ranks 2nd worst thing crapple did after itunes, I definitely agree with that.
But for professional video production there aren't good alternatives. It's either QT with a pro codec or deal with image sequences.

Outside of those with a desire to make known their personal bias, I think you will find that lots of consumers are using iTunes just fine.

But I'm sure whatever application you are using is better and providing loads more features and value then that nasty iTunes made by those dimwits at Apple.

+1 for that stuff. I'd much prefer a media player thing-y that just plays junk back from some file folder on my computer. I don't need it to stream stuff or to pull file information from someplace on the Internet to tell me what it's playing. That's just stupidness.

http://mpesch3.de1.cc/1by1.html

1by1 is a small, fast and handy audio player which is not only small: it provides a smart and versatile environment to handle your file collection and listen to your tracks - with no need for playlists or databases.

Directory Player: directly plays your folder contents

I don't install Quicktime malware plus no site uses the codec except for Apple's site.

Ahhh I remember the days of Quicktime Videos running in a little 2" by 2.5" frame. Hmmm around 1997?

Outside of those with a desire to make known their personal bias, I think you will find that lots of consumers are using iTunes just fine.

But I'm sure whatever application you are using is better and providing loads more features and value then that nasty iTunes made by those dimwits at Apple.

I would kind of agree with him in that iTunes is one of the most horrid abominations of software of all times.

The best part of switching away from my iPhone4 to a Samsung Galaxy S3 a few years back was that I no longer needed to have iTunes installed. It was one of the best days of my life!

I have an iPhone, and I rarely use it. iTunes has a great reputation on the Mac and a horrible reputation on Windows. I use it for backup/restore and occasionally for upgrades, but that's about it. Then again, I'm not sure that iTunes can do vorbis or flac, so it probably wouldn't work for me.

I have an iPhone, and I rarely use it. iTunes has a great reputation on the Mac and a horrible reputation on Windows. I use it for backup/restore and occasionally for upgrades, but that's about it. Then again, I'm not sure that iTunes can do vorbis or flac, so it probably wouldn't work for me.

iTunes does neither Vorbis or FLAC.

There are plenty of third-party applications that do, most of which are seriously compromised in one respect or another (and that's speaking as a Mac user):

Amarra sounds "good" (if artificial), but it's extremely buggy and has a horrendous interface.

Audirvana works well, and the UI isn't horrible, but it requires exclusive DAC access.

Both are expensive and compromised compared to something like Foobar2000 on Windows.

Fidelia is cheap and sounds good, but, still, shouldn't be necessary.

I use "Roon", which is from the team that built "Soloos". It's an application and a service, and comes with a subscription fee that turns most people off, but it has a gorgeous and FAST UI, the best music discovery capabilities of any platform or service I've used, integrates seamlessly with your local library and TIDAL and does bit-perfect output with no nonsense.

Something like Roon is more suitable for serious music enthusiasts (tens of thousands of local high-fidelity files) that are interested in learning more about their music collection and finding new music.

It's $120 a year (I think, I'd have to look it up), but that's immaterial when you spend several times that a week on new music.

Only time I ever had Quicktime was back when I used to have an iPhone, due to the fact everytime iTunes had an update, the box to download QT was checked by default. All it takes is one impatient drunk moment and BOOM shitware.

yeah, my issue with Itunes is that it is big, bloated and tries to do everything for everyone.

It's not just a music player, it's also a music store... And a video player and store, and a backup and sync service for phone / tablet hardware I don't own, and... and...

That and every time Apple sees it fit to launch a new device, iTunes has to be upgraded, and adds new functionality I don't need that akes up space I don't have in order to support devices I don't own.

Ideally - to me - a music player should never have a database. It should be nice and dumb, and play the files I tell it to play, not try to add them to any kind of library, and keep track of them and grab metadata, etc. etc. As soon as these things try to get smart, they inevitably cause more problems than they are worth.

My favorite media player of all time? The original Winamp. Now I don't use it anymore, but I like that simple interface, no database, and the fact that it is a dumb player that can also handle playlists. That's all I want out of a media player.

If you qualify slower load times and fewer supported formats in the default player (QTplayer) as personal bias then I agree with you, I'm totally biased.
I use QT at work (sans iTunes) because there's no alternative for our needs; at home either VLC, MPC-HC or Kodi take care of all the media consumption needs.

Tip: sarcasm doesn't work when your statement is so close to the truth :p

Zarathustra[H];1041821889 said:
yeah, my issue with Itunes is that it is big, bloated and tries to do everything for everyone.

It's not just a music player, it's also a music store... And a video player and store, and a backup and sync service for phone / tablet hardware I don't own, and... and...

That and every time Apple sees it fit to launch a new device, iTunes has to be upgraded, and adds new functionality I don't need that akes up space I don't have in order to support devices I don't own.

Ideally - to me - a music player should never have a database. It should be nice and dumb, and play the files I tell it to play, not try to add them to any kind of library, and keep track of them and grab metadata, etc. etc. As soon as these things try to get smart, they inevitably cause more problems than they are worth.

My favorite media player of all time? The original Winamp. Now I don't use it anymore, but I like that simple interface, no database, and the fact that it is a dumb player that can also handle playlists. That's all I want out of a media player.

Yeah I'm not a fan of all the stuff it installs either. I also hate that it starts itself up when I plug my phone into the computer (to charge the phone).

Back