Linus Torvalds Explains How Linux Was Born

HardOCP News

[H] News
How Linux was born, straight from the horses mouth. :cool:

Linux was my working name, so in that sense he didn't really name it, but I never wanted to release it as Linux. Linux was a perfectly good working name, but if I actually used it as the official one people would think that I am egomaniac, and wouldn't take it seriously. So I chose this very bad name "Freax," for "Free Unix." Luckily, Ari Lemmke used this working name instead. And after that he never changed it.

Linus Torvalds said:
. Linux was a perfectly good working name, but if I actually used it as the official one people would think that I am egomaniac

...and throwing temper tantrums and berating people you disagree with on kernel mailing lists proves you aren't :p

Zarathustra[H];1041816592 said:
...and throwing temper tantrums and berating people you disagree with on kernel mailing lists proves you aren't :p

Steve Balmer & Steve Jobs are both guilty of the same transgressions.

I read an article by him some time ago where he berated OSX calling it worst operating system out there.....because....it didn't use case sensitive file system. It was such a completely off base argument. I couldn't believe that how could even make a big deal out of it.

Really put a dent in whatever thoughts I had about him.

http://www.itworld.com/article/2868...s-is-probably-the-worst-file-system-ever.html

I read an article by him some time ago where he berated OSX calling it worst operating system out there.....because....it didn't use case sensitive file system. It was such a completely off base argument. I couldn't believe that how could even make a big deal out of it.

http://www.itworld.com/article/2868...s-is-probably-the-worst-file-system-ever.html

Its a big deal to programmers and the like. Its not as trivial as you might think. IT restricts the OS from being as specific as it can be. You lose a whole layer of specificity and granularity.

Uhmm.. did you read the article? Linus didn't call OSX the worst operating system out there, just HFS+, the file system OSX uses. He's ranting about HFS+ in particular because instead of correcting them, it repeats and worsens bad design mistakes learned in previous file systems.

His focus on good design foundations is what made Linux a lasting success today (though not overnight - good design takes many iterations and time).

Uhmm.. did you read the article? Linus didn't call OSX the worst operating system out there, just HFS+, the file system OSX uses. He's ranting about HFS+ in particular because instead of correcting them, it repeats and worsens bad design mistakes learned in previous file systems.

His focus on good design foundations is what made Linux a lasting success today (though not overnight - good design takes many iterations and time).

Except that the option for case sensitive has been there for many years (I have no experience prior to OSX).

How_to_format_drive_for_Mac_I_thumb.jpg

And yet he makes excuses for Microsoft....which has never offered case sensitive....AND it's the most use file system in the mainstream.

Case sensitive is nice for SOME users, but the majority of normal people I've seen use computers do not even think case when dealing with a computer.

Case sensitive is nice for SOME users, but the majority of normal people I've seen use computers do not even think case when dealing with a computer.

Some might even argue that case sensitivity causes more problems than it is worth.

If file.tar.gz is different than File.tar.gz it can cause necessary confusion up to and including resulting in data loss.

The three people that should be celebrated, always, are Dennis Ritchie, Gary Kildall, and Steve Wozniak.
Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Linus Torvalds... they are all not what they seem.

Not to bash on Linus, as he has actually done a lot, but the guy has obvious mental issues.
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were thieves of their time and built their success purely on others' hard work, inventions, ingenuity, and were basically glorified salesmen and bullshit artists.

The three people that should be celebrated, always, are Dennis Ritchie, Gary Kildall, and Steve Wozniak.
Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Linus Torvalds... they are all not what they seem.

Not to bash on Linus, as he has actually done a lot, but the guy has obvious mental issues.
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were thieves of their time and built their success purely on others' hard work, inventions, ingenuity, and were basically glorified salesmen and bullshit artists.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Difference being that Bill Gates was actually pretty technical. He could program, he could do the dirty work. And he did it when he had to. But, most of the time, he was a bullshit artist.

Ballmer was a car salesman. His old commercials show it, but it showed it when he was running the company, too. I didn't like him as CEO. Cool guy outside of work, apparently.

Jobs is different. He took credit for Woz's work at Atari & Apple. He was a salesman, and a great one at that. But, he didn't do anything more than that... IMO.

We will need to all embrace Linux at some point just to stand against Microsoft's "Rent Seeking" behavior, as they want to make us all rent Windows/Office/etc rather than buying a product. I'll pass.

I agree on Dennis Ritchie, Gary Kildall, and Steve Wozniak, and there are others.

Gates is technically competent but MSoft was boosted by a very questionable, possibly fraudulent deal with IBM .... and IBM's engaging in literally the Worst Business Fuckup in Human History, not buying but licensing PC-DOS. It left open the door to clones that eventually put them out of the PC business they made plausible.

Jobs was visionary, but also a user and abuser of people. It's a shame, I think far more could have been accomplished had he not been a dick.

Both MSoft and Apple engaged in all manner of anti-trust and anti-competitive criminal behaviors over the years. They should have been stopped decades ago by government, but we haven't had a functional government since Ronnie Raygun was elected.

So they are what they are.

Kildall was the real visionary, he knew that the potential was and rather than trying to own it and control it, he let it free to hopefully make the world a better place. He could have lawyered up, as could Xerox, and tossed a monkey wrench into the entire computer industry evolution ... instead they gave to the greater good.

We will need to all embrace Linux at some point just to stand against Microsoft's "Rent Seeking" behavior, as they want to make us all rent Windows/Office/etc rather than buying a product. I'll pass.

I agree on Dennis Ritchie, Gary Kildall, and Steve Wozniak, and there are others.

Gates is technically competent but MSoft was boosted by a very questionable, possibly fraudulent deal with IBM .... and IBM's engaging in literally the Worst Business Fuckup in Human History, not buying but licensing PC-DOS. It left open the door to clones that eventually put them out of the PC business they made plausible.

Jobs was visionary, but also a user and abuser of people. It's a shame, I think far more could have been accomplished had he not been a dick.

Both MSoft and Apple engaged in all manner of anti-trust and anti-competitive criminal behaviors over the years. They should have been stopped decades ago by government, but we haven't had a functional government since Ronnie Raygun was elected.

So they are what they are.

Kildall was the real visionary, he knew that the potential was and rather than trying to own it and control it, he let it free to hopefully make the world a better place. He could have lawyered up, as could Xerox, and tossed a monkey wrench into the entire computer industry evolution ... instead they gave to the greater good.

No Stallman? WE owe a lot to that man and his quirks often override the respect he should get. Not sure why people are shitting on Linus, he is sane enough to do what he does very well. We are more because of their contributions.

Come on, I hear he is a really nice guy.

article_img.jpg

oops, or maybe not all the time...

Zarathustra[H];1041817306 said:
Some might even argue that case sensitivity causes more problems than it is worth.

If file.tar.gz is different than File.tar.gz it can cause necessary confusion up to and including resulting in data loss.

I really liked how there was both a pulseaudio and a PulseAudio directory on my computer. One is for plugins, the other is for the stock stuff that comes with it; can you guess which one is which?

(Of course, anything by Lennart Poeterring sucks ass).

I like how the name was created by someone else hosting Linus's code.

Back