Google Ordered To Kill Links To 'Right To Be Forgotten' Stories

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess it is hard to be "forgotten" when everyone keeps talking about (and linking) stories about the right to be forgotten. :D

The whole point of the European Union's "right to be forgotten" laws is to remove links to irrelevant or outdated data about a persons life from Google, but a vicious cycle of news about the removal of links to news is making that impossible. Think about it: Google removes links about your sordid past from its search engine, but then adds a news story about that link removal that still includes your name and the old misdemeanor.

The "right to be forgotten" law doesn't work anyway. All you need to do is use a proxy anywhere else in the world and bam!, full Google results. Also, most smaller search engines don't even remove links.

I have a right to look it up. Glad this "right to forget" is easier said then done.

Reminds me of DMCA removal notices for certain google searches, just look at the notice and find all the sites that they wanted removed :D

The removals only apply to EU countries. So you can just go to Google's site in Japan or Hong Kong or Australia and pull the information up with not issues. It's a stupid law drawn up by idiots who don't understand that the internet is a global thing and that laws you make only apply in your country (and the few friendly countries dumb enough to allow that sort of thing). Anyone who is actually going to search thoroughly for you is going to pull up your "forgotten" info with no issues.

I still feel that this is ridiculous.

I agree with the right to be forgotten, but the fact that they are enforcing it on GOOGLE, is worthy of extreme ridicule. Google is simply an indexing and search service.

By all means, have old and no longer relevant personal information removed, but isntead of just removing the index entry, remove the ORIGINAL CONTENT, where it resides.

This just proved that the European laws are designed as protectionism to harm U.S. companies, making it difficult for Google, but not for their precious little local content providers....

We should give them a taste of their own medicine.

Google ordered to take down so many links all the time. I wonder if that;s why certain web browsers have switched to yahoo as their default search engine.

Eh, it's a good idea, just can't implement it. Whatever gets posted on the internet is forever.

I disagree... iirc, this law enables you to basically delete searches on you, like if you're a child rapist... or serial killer, etc. (Convicted, of course) I know they can technically be gotten from public records, but this seems like a way to stop easy access to possibly public vital information people. It seems like a weird thing to advocate for, but meh, just seems wrong to me.

While I hate corporations, I don't think the government should be able to tell them to do this and also a form of censorship. What if an office candidate was one of those things previously mentioned, and people can't find out about it?

Back