Google's OnHub Smart Router Pre-Order

I think that I'll be sticking with the Edgerouter Lite as my go-to router for the time being, along with a few WAPs.

Nothing against google, but... I'll wait until I see the benchmarks and reviews before considering their OnHub model.

I seem to have problems with every wireless router I've ever tried so I think I might give Google's OnHub smart router a shot. Anyone else interested in this?

If it's going to auto update itself then there's a back way in for them to do the update, and god knows what else, so that's a big NO from me.

Have you tried a Buffalo router with Tomato or DD-WRT on it?

There's some good routers out there. They are hit or miss. DD-wrt and Tomato can be lifesavers too for stability, but DD-wrt has had major performance issues with some newer routers. I had to revert back to stock firmware as DD-wrt couldn't handle anything over 100Mbits and god forbid you try to download anything torrent related like a War Thunder update. Instant lockup. :( It's been a few months, but I'm reluctant to try it again.

On topic though, I'm not sure I'd trust a google router.

As someone else posted. I am a Ubiquity user and I'll never look back. I have the ERPoE-5 and one of the UniFi AP-AC and I couldn't be happier.

Consumer routers are just crap compared to Ubiquiti's cheaper prosumer gear.

That was the worst commercial I've ever watched!

As others have said, I can't wait for the benchmarks. I might be slightly interested.

I use an edgerouter lite and a UniFi LR-AP, it's easily better than any consumer setup available.

So the point of this is "LOL you guys, this router will work for real, we swear!"

We're streaming and sharing in new ways our old routers were never built to handle.

Interesting to know that my old routers weren't meant to handle streaming low bit rate Netflix even though they all worked fine.

Meet On Hub, a new router from Google and TP-Link that's built for all the ways you Wi-Fi.

With TP Link and Google on board, this is sure to be as successful as Google TV! Oh wait that died... Also Wi-Fi isn't a verb...

On Hub provides smooth streaming and speedy downloads for all of your devices, speaks in a language you understand, and keeps getting better.

I can't think of a single time I ever wanted a router to speak to me. Also this glosses over the fact that 99% of people are likely more limited by their internet service than any AC speed router...

"AC1900 for Wi-Fi speeds up to 1900Mbps"

I guess cause it's Google/TP-Link, the new max speed of AC1900 is 1900Mbps and not 1300 like every other AC1900 router.

I can't think of a single time I ever wanted a router to speak to me. Also this glosses over the fact that 99% of people are likely more limited by their internet service than any AC speed router...

Until you are running backups over your server or streaming to 5 devices at once.

I'll stick with my pfSense router and Ubiquiti ACs, thanks google. That thing looks like a trash can with LEDs - not a router.

Until you are running backups over your server or streaming to 5 devices at once.

Still hasn't been an issue... For heavy backups, those are almost always running over LAN cables which is significantly more reliably at high throughput than any WiFi connection.

I wonder if this means I'll actually get AC speeds? My router (netgear blackhawk). The best I get is 287 Mbps and that's logging into the 5ghz link.

Ocellaris, AC/N speeds aren't generally needed for the WAN, but if you've got a file server, the faster your connection, the closer it is to feeling like a local drive.

The google hub has 21 antennas...interesting.

And I like the idea of updates. Do you know how often Cisco/Linksys update their home routers to fix security issues?

There's been a small handful of security flaws over the last two years. Thankfully Cisco/Linksys put in a patch...6 months AFTER the vulnerability was disclosed.

You also have to go looking for those flaws.

Imagine a router that checks for viruses BEFORE they reach your computer.

I will never even consider this just because they used a noun as a verb. I stopped shopping at Newegg because of that. :p

Oh wait... Did they mean a new way to wifi? Or, a new way to wifi? Too confusing... I bet the router is confusing too.

I think by wifi they meant "a new way to spy on you"

19 antenna's?

If this is true, I'll be sold on it just for that

Given the saturation of neighborhoods with WiFi Routers, I can't get a decent signal in any home I set one up unless its got at least 4 antenna's

TP-Link doesnt have the best (or worst) reputation in the market.

A good \GUI can go a long ways for helping with set up and many many routers have a GUI that sucks ASS!

I've been happy with buffalo routers.

You can use the Buffalo GUI which is pretty straight forward and easy or go full blown DD-WRT if you need more.

Nothing against google, but... I'll wait until I see the benchmarks and reviews before considering their OnHub model.

Just because I am curious, what kind of benchmarking have you seen on routers? I'd be curious.

Personally I use a pfSense install on my ESXi box as my router and a Unified LR wireless AP for WiFi.

I've been very happy with the combination.

With it being a Google product sitting between my network and the internet, I wonder what kind of data it would be collecting...

TP-Link doesnt have the best (or worst) reputation in the market.

A good \GUI can go a long ways for helping with set up and many many routers have a GUI that sucks ASS!

I've been happy with buffalo routers.

You can use the Buffalo GUI which is pretty straight forward and easy or go full blown DD-WRT if you need more.

I have a Buffalo at home. The Gui sucks ass. Can't find a single thing I like about it. I had a Netgear prosafe for 8 years, then a cisco/dlink with DDWRT. If it wasn't for a speed problem with DDWRT, I'd still be on it.

As someone else posted. I am a Ubiquity user and I'll never look back. I have the ERPoE-5 and one of the UniFi AP-AC and I couldn't be happier.

Consumer routers are just crap compared to Ubiquiti's cheaper prosumer gear.

Thanks for the tip re: Ubiquiti. Just ordered an AP-LR and will happily drop-kick my Asus when it gets here.

Zarathustra[H];1041802040 said:
Just because I am curious, what kind of benchmarking have you seen on routers? I'd be curious.

Personally I use a pfSense install on my ESXi box as my router and a Unified LR wireless AP for WiFi.

I've been very happy with the combination.

With it being a Google product sitting between my network and the internet, I wonder what kind of data it would be collecting...

Lol, that's supposed to be unifi

i donno it is basically a netgear nighthawk with 13 antenna and maybe more ram and os storage witch makes sense as it is likely android based os... it doesnt really boast any new features

it has 1 lan and 1 wan port which makes it more like an ap than a router to top it off it is at the high priced side of consumer routers

Ubiquiti works so well this product would have to be Jesus in a router to have me switch. But I like to see new things and look forward to some usage reviews.

Looks like one of those ugly D-Link AC cans. Let's hope for beamforming.

I think by wifi they meant "a new way to spy on you"
Yep. And it has "clouds". TP-Link too? Win-win. One ethernet port? Shazam. It can do the Wi-Fis? Great googly moogly. :rolleyes:

I have had good luck with Asus (Merlin) and Ubiquiti. PFSense would be the best, but hardware is always the issue. Fast and open equates to power hungry, from what I've seen.

I'll stick with my MikroTik CCS. It may only have two antennas, but the wifi is 1000 mW.

Oops.

The target audience for this device requires that it be affordable and not an eyesore (cord clutter).

It is painful to me that there are people out there that avoid wired Ethernet, when it is overwhelmingly superior to anything wireless.

I'd get rid of WiFi before I got rid of wired Ethernet, personally.

I'll stick with my pfSense router and Ubiquiti ACs, thanks google. That thing looks like a trash can with LEDs - not a router.

With ya there bro! You pretty much have an overkill enterprise Wifi setup already.

pfSense with QOS + gigabit wired LAN + shitty wifi-N AP (routing disabled) is enough to rock my 200/10 internet connection without breaking a sweat. I plan on getting Ubiquiti APs when my dlink DIR-855 puffs smoke (it will... had one die already).

I have a Buffalo at home. The Gui sucks ass. Can't find a single thing I like about it. I had a Netgear prosafe for 8 years, then a cisco/dlink with DDWRT. If it wasn't for a speed problem with DDWRT, I'd still be on it.

Guess I have a newer gui. Pretty clean and straight forward.

Back