Facebook Should Pay All of Us

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wouldn't that be funny if a company like Facebook actually paid its users? Or, as the article suggests, let users pay to opt out of tracking? That's obviously not going to happen but it's still food for thought.

While every business has slightly mixed motives, those companies that we pay live and die by how they serve the customer. In contrast, the businesses we are paying with attention or data are conflicted. We are their customers, but we are also their products, ultimately resold to others. We are unlikely to stop loving free stuff. But we always pay in the end—and it is worth asking how.

i have an old facebook account which I never use anymore, but every now and then I log in and view old friends' posts.

Because I know facebook mines my data, and i dont use facebook to communicate with anyone, i like to post stuff that isnt true about me, or conflicting likes/dislikes just to mess with them.

cant say its entirely effective, but whatever. its fun.

I didn't give Facebook my real last name, my real birthday, any address at all, my real phone number, or an email address that is used for anything other than a dumping ground for Facebook's spam that I never check.

Seems like this is a free version of "paying to not track" me.

Sorry to give you bad news guys, but at the very best you only just made it just a bit harder for FB to track you.

Even if you never signed up for FB or signed up on FB with fake info, by now they most certainly has purchased info about you from some other place you guys signed up (sometimes even services you pay for are more than willing to make a bit of extra on the side by selling your info :( )

Also do not forget that your friends with active FB accounts are most likely doing their best to provide them with as much real info about you as possible (e.g. they will give details about you and activities in photo tags/description)

And finally install a privacy add-on in Firefox and see how many sites have FB trakers embedded.

Call me ignorant or whatever, but I don't understand how the hell any of it is even legal. No one actually provides consent to it, and the services provided merely exist to serve the ulterior motive.

Call me ignorant or whatever, but I don't understand how the hell any of it is even legal. No one actually provides consent to it, and the services provided merely exist to serve the ulterior motive.
Laws don't have any meaning if they're not enforced.

If you want to profit out of Facebook you can buy their stocks, hope it goes up, and sell them.

I just wear a tin foil hat. With it they are powerless.

Actually they do. They don't read the 300 page legal documents when they sign up, that's the "problem".

Actually they do. They don't read the 300 page legal documents when they sign up, that's the "problem".

Also if you do read it and don't agree you cannot use the service. What companies need to do is have a gimped version for those who don't agree.

Also if you do read it and don't agree you cannot use the service. What companies need to do is have a gimped version for those who don't agree.

Companies don't need to do anything. You don't want to agree to their terms, don't use their product, it's that simple. If you don't like Facebook, no one is saying you have to use it.

I didn't give Facebook my real last name, my real birthday, any address at all, my real phone number, or an email address that is used for anything other than a dumping ground for Facebook's spam that I never check.

Same here.

Back