Teenage Girls Play Video Games Quietly Or Alone

HardOCP News

[H] News
Statistics are great and all but the rest of the world just wants to know who IS TO BLAME FOR THIS INJUSTICE!?!? ;)

Here are the numbers. Almost 60 percent of the girls in the study (more than 1,000 teenagers of both sexes, surveyed last fall and this winter) say they play games on a computer, console, or cellphone. Of those girls, 47 percent say they never play online. Another 27 percent say they never even play with someone else in the same room. Not even 10 percent of teenage girls open their mouths and speak in public video game spaces.

Well, someone should broaden the scope of their test population.

My old lady, (over 50, but don't tell her I told), settles in at night for her alone time with a glass of wine in one of the kids' abandoned bedroom, and she plays cell phone games alone mostly, with the door shut, and if I intrude she will put up with it only so long before she banishes me from the room.

I can't get my daughter to shut the hell up while gaming and screaming into the mic.

Anomalies exist :D

Please don't tell her I called her an anomaly. She may not take it well.

Mario Kart with my wife is fun. She's a real shit talker. She's not a hard core gamer, but she likes those multiplayer competitive games. Only single player one she likes is Burnout Paradise. Well, and a ton of mobile apps.

Kyle, what would the odds be that your family would NOT be an aberration from the norm?

LOL! :)

My wife played through Doom 3, Quake 4, and Half Life 2+eps when we were dating and poor and I didn't have an office. I think the fact that the PC was setup on my coffee table in the only living area in our 1 bed apartment she thought she would give it a whirl - never in front of the public though (hah).

She plays L4D2 once in a great while with long time friends or my family (I hardly play it tho), but would never play any game with random online assholes. She's heard me playing with "online friends" and thinks its ridiculous. If I asked her I'm sure she would validate why young gals want nothing to do with the dbags online.

So basically women are bad communicators in online games and will get you killed. We need to fix this problem NAO!

Kyle, what would the odds be that your family would NOT be an aberration from the norm?

LOL! :)

Yeah, there are some DNA issues there for sure......on my wife's side.

My daughter ask's Siri to "Open My Little Pony videos please!". I'm sure when she grows up she'll be a gamer, seeing as she plays Diablo and WoW with me.

Cellphone games....

How is this really anything? It's like saying 50% of the people who play games are women. Sure it might be true, but there's a lot of farmvilles in there.

Cellphone games....

How is this really anything? It's like saying 50% of the people who play games are women. Sure it might be true, but there's a lot of farmvilles in there.

Yeah, and Sims, Candy Crush, etc.

So basically women are bad communicators in online games and will get you killed. We need to fix this problem NAO!

Lol, ive played competitively w/ chicks. They talk every now and then. When im in a public server, once they talk....all the horn balls come out "is that a girl? A/S/L"....which is probably why majority of them dont care to talk. Either that or they get the, "thats not a chick, its a 12 year old boy"

Anyway, girls hack...nuff said. :D

Lol, ive played competitively w/ chicks. They talk every now and then. When im in a public server, once they talk....all the horn balls come out "is that a girl? A/S/L"....which is probably why majority of them dont care to talk. Either that or they get the, "thats not a chick, its a 12 year old boy"

Anyway, girls hack...nuff said. :D

Yeah, I've played lots of games with female gamers over the years who have no problem using voice communication... within guild/clan/etc. but will not say anything in public for basically those reasons. Honestly? I don't blame them. But I rarely bother to use any sort of public voice chat either because I don't want to hear the 12 year old squeakers yelling random profanities they can't properly string together.

Daughter is 13 and lately has been exclusive playing Counter Strike: Global Offensive. She is damn good too from what I can tell.

Actually I think the simple problem is the guys you hear in games are using their "online persona". It's like watching a youtube playthrough from any of the top 10 people out there. Do you think thats how they speak and behave in real life? No, it's all an act. Well shit talking and wisecracking and all of that stuff is also an act. It's aggressive and it's fast. Girls are intimidated by that.

Link in OP points to Kotaku "article."
Well, there's your problem. Turning innocuous data collected without bias into something controversial. And it cites the discredited Wiseman and Burch "study" that was performed with no control using SurveyMonkey. They really can't seem to get over their chronic case of soggy knees.

Yeah, I've played lots of games with female gamers over the years who have no problem using voice communication... within guild/clan/etc. but will not say anything in public for basically those reasons. Honestly? I don't blame them. But I rarely bother to use any sort of public voice chat either because I don't want to hear the 12 year old squeakers yelling random profanities they can't properly string together.

I'm a guy, and I rarely say much on public games. But, get with friends or other people I regularly play with, and I talk a lot more. It's a better response, you know what to say and what not to say (different communication techniques, etc.), and you're not going to get that attack from the 12 year old.

Girls today are way too isolated I can tell this from work then when they get older they hook up with a creepy guy and tell them everything is fine.

The fact they added "cell phone" games into that study throws the entire thing off.

As someone who identifies as a 40 something year old guy, I am surprised to learn that apparently I might actually be a teenage girl.

As someone who identifies as a 40 something year old guy, I am surprised to learn that apparently I might actually be a teenage girl.

Yeah me too... part of the reason I stay away from online is because of all the loud obnoxious twats that tend to populate multiplayer games. If it didn't sound creepy (and it will... trust me), I would rather play with nothing but teenage girls (told ya so)

Back