AT&T Helped The NSA Spy On The Internet

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Wow, this almost makes it sound as if AT&T was a subdivision of the NSA. From 2003 to 2013, the telecommunications company willingly helped the US spy on Internet traffic. This included wiretapping communications at the UN to installing surveillance equipment on many of its hubs on American soil.

While it has been long known that American telecommunications companies worked closely with the spy agency, newly disclosed N.S.A. documents show that the relationship with AT&T has been considered unique and especially productive. One document described it as “highly collaborative,” while another lauded the company’s “extreme willingness to help.”

Was there any doubt? Love that Snowden made this stuff known beyond all doubt, but the reality is we knew they were doing this back when Bush was in office. Hated it then...hate it now.

lauded the company’s “extreme willingness to make dirty money.”

Always nice to see "illusion of choice" research applied to governance.

I'm glad that at least one company is willing to stand up and assist the government in keeping us safe without having to be like, forced to do it. Those other more resistant companies have really short-sighted managers that don't understand that they need a stable and obedient society that works selflessly for the greater good of the company and its shareholders and government data collection is the best way to identify dissent and ferret it out before it becomes a major problem to the well-being of the rest of us.

I'm glad that at least one company is willing to stand up and assist the government in keeping us safe without having to be like, forced to do it. Those other more resistant companies have really short-sighted managers that don't understand that they need a stable and obedient society that works selflessly for the greater good of the company and its shareholders and government data collection is the best way to identify dissent and ferret it out before it becomes a major problem to the well-being of the rest of us.

Let the Hunger Games begin!

You should have packed a better lunch.

Well better means more calories and carbs and that's just as bad. Plus the guys here are always bringing in donuts or candy which makes it really hard to resist snacking. I don't wanna gain weight so I just end up hungry and grumpy all day. :mad:

All this time I've been trying to reason with people over this issue and then CUG comes along and erails the entire topic talking about food.

He's a genius :D

Amazon does the same. They have a complicit relationship with the NSA and federal government's spying programs, and have furnished them with the means to take a peek at any customer assets hosted in the whole of AWS. I can say with 100% certainty that after Amazon's transparency report revealed that "between 0 and 249 FISA requests have been answered", the number is actually zero. No need to leverage the FISA process when Amazon has supplied them with everything they need to look for themselves.

All this time I've been trying to reason with people over this issue and then CUG comes along and erails the entire topic talking about food.

He's a genius :D

Well, my lunch is far more important than anything that has to do with the NSA or AT&T (though that really should go without saying).

Was there any doubt? Love that Snowden made this stuff known beyond all doubt, but the reality is we knew they were doing this back when Bush was in office. Hated it then...hate it now.

Not really. Full-fledged domestic surveillance, as opposed to monitoring inbound communication, didn't take off until Obama assumed office.

Back