The Science Behind Our Obsession With Liking Things Online

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Am I the only one who can't relate to this article? I have never understood the appeal of the like button and have always thought of it as a mere experiment for testing interactivity during the early days of the social network that just happened to take off. Why do you think everyone feels compelled to give a trivial stamp of approval with the like button, regardless of how insignificant the content is?

Like has become much more than just a positive reaction toward a post or update -- it has evolved into feedback toward people. As a rule of thumb, the more likes you get, the more loved you'll feel. In fact, according to anthropologist Krystal D'Costa, the like button has become so influential as a tool that it can boost or shatter a person's ego.

Like means I agree or mostly agree, but don't have anything to add to whatever you posted.. Alternatively it means that made me laugh.

I have never "liked" anything online.

Ever.

No upvotes, not a single +1... Nothing.

Being a dick-head in the [H] comments section is my social media.

So what they really found out is narcissism is far more common, especially in women than previously thought.

Super impressive study there. Could of told them those results for a free lunch.

Ever.

This. I don't even have a Facebook account. I've never partaken of any other social media either.

Ever.

I approve of this message :)

Could like something even if I wanted to as I have no Farcebook account.

If someones ego is collapsed by a lack of likes the person has severe mental issues. Facebook or other social media is just a channel that triggers them.

Back