Deepcool Assassin II Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
The fellas at Overclockers Club say that, if you are looking for a cooling solution that is a head and shoulders above stock cooling, the Deepcool Assassin II could be the cooler for you.

The load temperatures for stock and overclock were excellent. That monster base and eight heat pipes give the Assassin II the ability to keep the heat down, and the spread between stock and overclocked load performance was a rather narrow four degrees Celsius. The overclocked load temp of 74 °C is well within the range of liquid cooling and in fact the Assassin II performed better than two of the liquid coolers I have tested. It is also quiet under a load. The fans spool up, but the sound is not annoying or excessive. Deepcool definitely has the right combination with the Assassin II.”

I have to wonder why they are using the NH-D15 with one fan when it is supplied with two.
And why is the NH-D14 5c warmer when other review show it only a couple degrees warmer?

I wonder how it stacks up vs the Cryorig R1 Ultimate. I have it on a bench and it's definitely a beast for an air cooler. It can almost give my Kraken a run for its money.

Simple, adding that 2nd fan blocks the entire 4 memory slots, and looks like the Patriot modules they used for the test, have tall heat spreaders.

I think the D15S helps with the compatibility with modules with tall heat-spreaders and it won't block that first PCIEx16 slot.

And from a review, adding a 2nd fan makes no difference. I also had the same experience with my heat-sink, I bought an extra fan (because it came with an extra set of clips for mounting a 2nd fan) and it made no difference at all.
I respectfully disagree.

Case, NH-D15 cooler, RAM and NF-A15 fan will all fit with no problem. Fan would be mounted higher(188mm total) but would bottom of fan would still be about even with bottom of fin pack.

Assassin II center CPU to front of cooler is 65mm plus 25mm for fan.
NH-D14 from center CPU to front of cooler is 66mm plus 25mm for fan.
NH-D15 from center CPU to front of cooler is 67.5mm plus 26mm for fan.
NH-D15 is only 3.5mm more than Assassin II and only 2.5mm more than NH-D14

The Assassin II has 45mm from top of CPU to bottom of fin pack and NH-D14 has 44mm.

NH-D15 has 49mm, 67mm and 69mm from before notch to two levels in notch.

Enthoo Primo has 207mm CPU clearance .. so definitely not a clearance problem.

So why didn't the NH-D15 have it's 2nd NF-A15 over the RAM?

To me they are unfairly handicapping the NH-D15 and I can think of no rational explaination.

And from a review, adding a 2nd fan makes no difference. I also had the same experience with my heat-sink, I bought an extra fan (because it came with an extra set of clips for mounting a 2nd fan) and it made no difference at all.

Interesting, I have an NH-U12s waiting for a I7 6700k, I will have to test the 1 fan 2 fan thing and see if it matters.

As a general rule the performance difference between one and two fans is 2-3c at full speed. At lower speeds it is usually more. Reason is stacking fans increases their static pressure, meaning the P-Q curve will show more airflow at lower speed where single fan loose more flow rate because it can't overcome the resistance as well. Hope that makes sense.

So many of these reviewers are using room ambient as baseline air temperature when they need to be using the temperature of air going into the cooler .. and believe me the room ambient is cooler than the cooler intake 99.99% of the time. Using room ambient instead of cooler / radiator intake is like monitoring the thermometer in your bedroom to know how warm your lounge is. Much more accurate to look a thermometer in the lounge. :D

Back