Twitter Gives Companies Access To Its Full Archives

HardOCP News

[H] News
What is that old saying again? Something about if it's free, you're probably the product.

Twitter has just launched a new tool called "Full-Archive Search API," which gives brands access to every public tweet ever made from the microblogging site's inception nine years ago. If you recall, the company also opened up its archives to research institutions last year. That project was launched for science, though -- this one was obviously created for business.

Duh... Big Data doesn't go away...

Now when for Google.... Facebook... ?

I am not sure what the issue is here ... all of these services like Twitter, Facebook, Google, Hotmail, etc are free ... if a little personal information is all these free services cost you then that is great ... if Twitter were a paid service I might have some expectation of privacy ... I assume that all free services are using my information somehow ... as long as they provide sufficient benefit to me then great ... if they don't then I don't use them (and there is no information on me to sell)

I am not sure what the issue is here ... all of these services like Twitter, Facebook, Google, Hotmail, etc are free ... if a little personal information is all these free services cost you then that is great ... if Twitter were a paid service I might have some expectation of privacy ... I assume that all free services are using my information somehow ... as long as they provide sufficient benefit to me then great ... if they don't then I don't use them (and there is no information on me to sell)

It should not matter if it were 'Paid' or a 'Free' service. Distributing Personally Identifiable Information is strictly against privacy laws, regardless of a services ToS/EULA, but no one upholds the laws set in place, or cares to because the information makes money.

It should not matter if it were 'Paid' or a 'Free' service. Distributing Personally Identifiable Information is strictly against privacy laws, regardless of a services ToS/EULA, but no one upholds the laws set in place, or cares to because the information makes money.

If it were "strictly again privacy laws" then I guarantee that someone would be suing or prosecuting them ... do you think the States sued the cigarette companies because they were worried about smoker's health or because they smelled a payday ... since most laws of this nature involve financial penalties I am sure that lawyers would be lining up to sue these companies if they were actually breaking a law or contract ;)

Back