Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance

HardOCP News

[H] News
TechSpot has pitted Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 in a three-way deathmatch to decide which OS is the performance king.

Looking beyond benchmarks, Windows 8 appears more polished than Windows 7, even if you plan to live on the desktop and aren't too fond of the Start screen, general usage is smoother and appears to be faster on Windows 8, which I found most noticeable on our somewhat underpowered Athlon II X4 system. If anything, it's a great start. Now the Metro/Modern style will have to prove itself as a cross-platform OS that marries desktop, laptop and tablet PCs.

About as expected. Nothing major. A good upgrade, but not for any speed or performance reasons. But, it also shows that an older Windows 7 machine can still benefit and not have any slow down when upgrading to the new OS like some of the older Microsoft OS's and Apple's iOS.

From what I see there is NO compelling reason to upgrade and WHY in the world did they use a disk bench that wasn't win7 compatible in this shootout?

I see MS once again making the latest DX API a OS upgrade only will turn a lot of people off.

As many seem to forget, it's free. If you do not like it, you can uninstall it. If you do, you did not pay a penny to keep your operating system patched for years to come.

dad's old desktop (core 2 amd): about 300% faster in everything. he is amazed. websites load faster than win7 even when it was freshly upgraded

my old laptop i5: seems about the same. diablo 3 stuttering is gone but sometimes the o/s still freezes opening websites.

my xeon desktop: speed wise it is the same. however required driver updates with iobit's driver booster app.

it seems to bring new life into old hardware.

As many seem to forget, it's free. If you do not like it, you can uninstall it. If you do, you did not pay a penny to keep your operating system patched for years to come.

But, but, its windows 10. I hate it, because... you know its 10, it should be Windows 9.5 or 9.8, I want XP start menu back, and Aero :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As expected, thunder in a bucket. Anything that actually matters shows the same or better performance on W7. W10 is faster in synthetic benchmarks boohoo, I smell fish.

The browser loads 1 tenth of a seconds faster. We should do a blind test to see who notices that difference. That can even come from the difference in window animations.

As expected, thunder in a bucket. Anything that actually matters shows the same or better performance on W7. W10 is faster in synthetic benchmarks boohoo, I smell fish.

The browser loads 1 tenth of a seconds faster. We should do a blind test to see who notices that difference. That can even come from the difference in window animations.

But isn't that the essence of performance increases to just keep bumping it up? I mean how many people have compared benchmark scores from their pc's just for fun and bragging rights? But,how many people in a blind test actually notice a cpu overclock? Does that make it pointless? Where are the launch month windows 7 and 8 benchmarks?

I found that NVidia's drivers on Win10 are slower than 8.1 or 7. (3D Mark tests) I blamed it on 10 being a project in the works. 980Ti, Asus Sabertooth 2011, 5930.

I found that NVidia's drivers on Win10 are slower than 8.1 or 7. (3D Mark tests) I blamed it on 10 being a project in the works. 980Ti, Asus Sabertooth 2011, 5930.

Blame Microsoft for nvidia's shit drivers...makes sense.

A little premature to test Win 10 so soon after the initial launch. Still I figured it would do much worse in its first few months.

There are a lot of new security features in Windows 10 vs Windows 7. Device Guard, etc... Some of it does require new hardware.

Well, given the privacy or lack of in w10 and looking at these results, I'm going to install W7 again.

I only need windows for gaming and hopefully, devs will get their act together and target vulkan instead of dx12.

i have a question though, why the ssd test failed on w7?

does this means that W7 cannot use NVMe drives?

My HP was slower with Win10. Folders opened slower, right clicking on My Computer and going to properties was slower. The apps opened slower.
Specs are Phenom II X3, 8GB DDR3 Ram, 120GB SSD.

Installed it twice and had to take if off due to the lack of driver for the GPU's.

So.. Windows 10 is ever so slightly quicker than its predecessors and Internet Explorer is a gigantic, steaming pile of crap.

Film at eleven.

This is interesting considering many have had improved overall gaming experience going from 7 to 10. What was once choppy and stuttering is now a lot smoother and simply plays better on Windows 10. It is not relevant whether you agree with me because fact is fact.

Just to add my $.02: I did a clean install of Win10, upgraded from Win7, a few days after launch, and aside from the UI changes, nothing 'feels' better or worse. Programs open the same, close the same, goes to sleep and wakes up about the same. Games feel the same (BF4 and Skyrim so far). Internet browsing on Chrome feels the same, but i havent given Edge a real using yet either. I was sure to disable/deny all the information gathering during the install, so i'm not toooo concerned about that for the time being. Overall i'd say it just feels... smoother. Not faster, not slower, just more smooth. And if there is some crazy reason i feel Win10 isnt adequate, i still saved a system backup image of my fresh Win7 install on a spare drive i can fall back on if necessary.

But does it run Crysis... ok, i see it does.

Smoother too. :D I have not played many games lately but, Crysis 3 seems to be doing better. The only thing is, because it is loading off a hard drive and I am playing a 4k resolutions, I have to wait a few seconds for everything to load before I can play it. (I am referring to after I get to the playable part.)

This is interesting considering many have had improved overall gaming experience going from 7 to 10. What was once choppy and stuttering is now a lot smoother and simply plays better on Windows 10. It is not relevant whether you agree with me because fact is fact.

And many don't know how to compare apple's to apple's and think that a fresh install of 10 is the same as a year's old install of 7. Outside lower end hardware which does favor 8+, decent hardware will perform exactly the same from a user perspective of all 3 are clean installs. Those claiming its noticeably better on decent hardware are put frankly, full of shit.

That aside I have few issues with 10. It's on my laptop currently and will likely remain only on there for the time being. Vastly better than 8, but I want to wait until at least the first service pack for my desktops. At present I would tentatively have no issues dropping it in a corporate environment barring I encounter some unforseen problem.

Good OS, not perfect but don't let people bullshit you.

windows 10 "we gave it away free and people still felt that it wasnt good enough"

i love windows 10 so far, directx12 cant wait! :)

Those claiming its noticeably better on decent hardware are put frankly, full of shit.

Ah, I see you are the all experienced, no one knows better than you technician, ok, got it, thanks. :D Your experience does not equal everyone else's experience.

I'm actually a bit surprised to see some performance declines in a few areas. Interesting. I'm running Win7 and planned to stay for a while, after seeing this that pretty much makes that choice a slam dunk.

One thing strange, the timings they had on the returning from sleep state are very slow. My rig returns from sleep immediately.

So, it takes double the time to wake from sleep as it does to boot? Then why use sleep at all? Just shut down. Should be faster!

I was most interested in the Storage Performance...

"Note we were unable to get the SM951 NVMe working in Windows 7."
So uh.. why did you (techspot) not use something that did work on all 3 platforms? Plenty of free options to bench I/O.

:eyeroll: :rolleyes:

I like TechSpot, really, but their methodology here by doing things with respect to the storage benchmark knowing that they couldn't get the storage device to work properly with Windows 7 just ruins the entire thing for me. They should have used a plain old run of the mill SATA SSD to do the testing, all of it, and not some newfangled tech - it's a slap in the face to Windows 7 because of its age and hardware manufacturers not giving a damn enough about it to make proper drivers anymore.

So as far as I'm concerned the whole test was slanted to begin with by not providing a level playing field for all three OSes.

Shame on you, TechSpot, shame on you.

They should have used a plain old run of the mill SATA SSD to do the testing, all of it, and not some newfangled tech - it's a slap in the face to Windows 7 because of its age and hardware manufacturers not giving a damn enough about it to make proper drivers anymore.

While I can understand the point of having all three OSes tested against things that worked on all three OSes, Windows 7's best days are behind it. Not saying that it's anywhere near on its last legs but for consumer users I think over the next year it's probably going to start declining pretty fast as both more new Windows 10 PCs come online combined with upgrades. So the Windows 7 support situation is just destined for decline.

Ah, I see you are the all experienced, no one knows better than you technician, ok, got it, thanks. :D Your experience does not equal everyone else's experience.

No, just tired of people making exaggerated performance claims when a new is rolls out. Read my post again if you missed what I said. I never implied 10 didn't perform better, simply that on a decent setup where all things are equal very few are going to see it.

I was most interested in the Storage Performance...

I like TechSpot, really, but their methodology here by doing things with respect to the storage benchmark knowing that they couldn't get the storage device to work properly with Windows 7 just ruins the entire thing for me.

Hey guys, realizing this obvious shortcoming of the original article we updated it with results for the Samsung SSD 850 Pro in addition to the Samsung SM951 NVMe that didn't work on Windows 7.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1042-windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7/page4.html

Thanks for your feedback.

No, just tired of people making exaggerated performance claims when a new is rolls out. Read my post again if you missed what I said. I never implied 10 didn't perform better, simply that on a decent setup where all things are equal very few are going to see it.

I agree, the faster the hardware the less difference it makes. But I do think that 8.1/10 do better on lower end hardware than 7. It would be interesting to see how 7 fares on something like a BayTrail/CloverTrail Atom tablet with 2 GB of RAM but I've never come across any benchmarks.

Seems like all 3 are pretty close and nothing somebody will really notice.
The one real win for 10 is sleep/wake. I clearly noticed that 10 does this really quick even using
just a old Samsung F3 it's snappy.

All 3 of my Windows 7 machines are running their original installs from 2009.
Never had to reinstall at all.
win-install-dates.jpg

My HTPC and Garage PC (HAL-X100) have the same install date since the Garage PC OS is a clone of the HTPC, just had to put a new key in the Garage PC.
Who else is running a 6 year old install of Windows with no issues at all?

Seems like all 3 are pretty close and nothing somebody will really notice.
The one real win for 10 is sleep/wake. I clearly noticed that 10 does this really quick even using
just a old Samsung F3 it's snappy.

Sleep/Wake on my HTPC with an old 500GB WD Green and it's replacement 128GB SSD is instant on from sleep.

Back