Jail Gets Online Fresh Food Ordering Program

HardOCP News

[H] News
What could possibly go wrong with ordering fresh food online for inmates? I'm sure all the other robbers, rapists and murders won't mind being stuck with jail food while you eat a Philly cheesesteak with fries in front of them. :eek:

“We are proud to offer an option for friends and family members to send meals to their loved ones in jail, and at the same time, the new online cafe will generate revenue for the Norfolk City Jail,” said Sheriff Bob McCabe. “In tight budget times, we are always looking for ways to cover our expenses without using additional tax dollars.”

It doesn't sound like inmates are kept there too long, and are basically holding cells:

Norfolk City Jail is a City Jail used by the jurisdictions of Norfolk to confine inmates for short periods while awaiting trial or processing. As inmates are staying for only a short period, it has fewer amenities than a jail or prison. Inmates do, however, have access to bathroom facilities and are provided with meals during their stay. Norfolk City Jail may also have a common area in which inmates can socialize.
Bathrooms and meals. I like the sound of those features.

I used to work across the street from that Jail.

Bathrooms and meals. I like the sound of those features.
Yeah it's a prison, it's not a waiting room at a doctor's office. There should be no TV, no magazines, just sit and wait your time until you go to another prison or are released.

Sorry --- it's a prison, fuck em. One of the reasons it's called prison is because it's supposed to be shitty. No food from mom, no cable TV, if you rob/rape/kill, the only things you should be allowed to do is read, stare at the wall, and get raped.

Part of my comment is in jest -- but it's mostly serious.

Jail and prison are different. Jail is for those who are awaiting trial or convicted of minor crimes. Prison is for those convicted of serious crimes. There are other differences but that's the main one. Just wanted to clear that up for those calling the Norfolk City Jail a prison.

Someone might get stuck in a jail's drunk tank for a day or two but they're not going to be sent to prison.

First off, yeah, that's a jail, not a penitentiary. Someone doing time in a jail is doing so for a short period of time for a relatively minor offense. The murderapists are going to a prison, not a jail.

Second, 'grr arr let's put them in a cement box and make them eat sawdust' sounds great on paper, but putting that into practice has resulted in prisons that were too dangerous to staff. Who'd have guessed that locking someone into a cage with nothing to occupy their time makes them insane and violent? TVs and stuff aren't there because the government wants the prisoners to have a fun time, they're there so the prisoners don't go crazy and murder each other and the guards. Additionally, if a prison has no amenities, prisoners have literally nothing to lose, but if it has a TV and some books, you can threaten to take the TV and books away if they misbehave. A certain base level of recreation is essentially required for a prison to function.

Some guy told me all you get is Bread and Water in Jail and he wasn't kidding this detours people from going to jail just to get something to eat.

Sorry --- it's a prison, fuck em. One of the reasons it's called prison is because it's supposed to be shitty. No food from mom, no cable TV, if you rob/rape/kill, the only things you should be allowed to do is read, stare at the wall, and get raped.

They haven't been convicted in some cases, so their rights are still not forfeit. IF, and only IF, they are already convicted and awaiting transportation to another facility, should it be completely shitty.

However, shitty, in your eyes, is not reality. 3 hots a cot cable TV (sometimes in the cell if they buy a tv) radio, board games, basketball, soccer, baseball, football, all sorts of wonderful things are in store and available to you once you are a convicted felon. Nick the convicted Rape-O? Yea, hes watching BET after playing baseball... while getting ready to goto late rec and watch Sons of Anarachy with the fellas, and maybe even talking to his mom for awhile before bedtime!... meanwhile Tom the drunk is stuck in a cell with nothing to do, and hasnt even gone to trial yet, much less been convicted.

Aint life grand?

All thanks to prison rights organizations, sponsored by tax payer dollars and dirtbags families, decrying the abuse that happens in prisons to wonderful human beings! Got a problem with it? Start a non profit to lobby the state government, maybe you too can bribe to get Tom the drunk his cable TV and sports options, or, to take away Nick the Rape-O's. A bribe still goes a long way, i mean lobbying.

You don't have to worry, "Rape-O's" have a shitty time in prison.

Murderers don't have such a shitty time, but they're there for pretty much their adult lives so it's not like you need to make it shitty for them to be punished or for them not to come back for the few that leave.

Sorry --- it's a prison, fuck em.....
Its a jail not prison. That means it generally holds people who aren't convicted, its temporary holding before court/sentencing, and innocent until proven guilty still applies.

Also the idea of using prison as a place of punishment instead of rehabilitation over the last few decades hasn't accomplished anything other than to make the prison population explode and increase the costs to the state/govt.

Recidivism rates are through the roof so its pretty clear that the 'punish them' mentality isn't working even if it might be emotionally satisfying.

Can't have a thread on the criminal "justice" system without John Oliver!

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Prison -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pz3syET3DY

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Mandatory Minimums ->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDVmldTurqk

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Bail -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS5mwymTIJU

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Municipal Violations -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjpmT5noto

Kinda totally removes the luster on America's "justice" system.

First off, yeah, that's a jail, not a penitentiary. Someone doing time in a jail is doing so for a short period of time for a relatively minor offense. The murderapists are going to a prison, not a jail.

Second, 'grr arr let's put them in a cement box and make them eat sawdust' sounds great on paper, but putting that into practice has resulted in prisons that were too dangerous to staff. Who'd have guessed that locking someone into a cage with nothing to occupy their time makes them insane and violent? TVs and stuff aren't there because the government wants the prisoners to have a fun time, they're there so the prisoners don't go crazy and murder each other and the guards. Additionally, if a prison has no amenities, prisoners have literally nothing to lose, but if it has a TV and some books, you can threaten to take the TV and books away if they misbehave. A certain base level of recreation is essentially required for a prison to function.

So kill the violent prisoner in self defense and include mandatory independent 3rd party oversight. Prisons are private companies and they still have normal human rights. Add severe fines for any staff misconduct, but include a 50% cashout to the prison for whatever it would have cost tax payers to house that inmate until the end of his sentence. It frees up room, teaches discipline to both staff and prisoners, and eliminates violent prisoners that shouldn't be mixed in with society. Because when they get released and don't get things their way, their neighborhood shouldn't be subjected to their childish violent temper tantrums and police pursuits.

Yeah it's a prison, it's not a waiting room at a doctor's office. There should be no TV, no magazines, just sit and wait your time until you go to another prison or are released.
I was mocking the listing of features more than making a statement about the treatment of prisoners. I guess it was better than describing surly guards and escape resistant natural finish steel bars. :p

Back