MIT Develops Robot With Human Reflexes

Wow, for once they really are trying to teach them how to kill us all. :D

That's an interesting way of approaching the problem. Basically they send stimuli back to a human to see how he would react and have the robot record his responses so that it "knows" how to react to various events and feedback.

This isn't anything that would really kill us, it's kind of a way to mimic human muscle motions to try to emulate how a human would do certain types of actions...

The problem is sensors are all usually analog scalar values. You could have a lookup table of exact stimuli and responses, but to make this useful you'd probably have to do some kind of vectorized approach in order to generalize stimuli and their responses. Otherwise it would only react to a very specific event happening again. And when all is said and done I don't think they've actually gotten much done here in that department. All they have is essentially a remote controlled toy.

I might not know karate... but I sure do know c-razy! ... You can't teach a bot c-razy!

This isn't anything that would really kill us.

They edited out the parts where the robot is taught to hit at the base of the skull, which ribs to stab between, how to break knees and elbows, etc. :p

So, they're slowing the robot's reflexes down by about a thousand times?

Back