Fallout 4 Has No Level Cap

HardOCP News

[H] News
As a huge fan of the Fallout franchise, I can't tell you how much this announcement makes me happy. Hopefully this signals the end of level caps and having to buy DLC for cap increases across the entire gaming industry (not likely). :cool:

To our fans who’ve asked: Fallout 4 doesn’t end when the main story is over and there is no level cap. You can keep playing and leveling.

Perhaps it will be like pac-man and once you reach a certain level the game glitches and locks up. In fallout 4 I'm guessing this will be 'level 1'.

Perhaps it will be like pac-man and once you reach a certain level the game glitches and locks up. In fallout 4 I'm guessing this will be 'level 1'.

That is true of any Bethesda product. In fact, I wait a year for the GOTY edition hoping most of the really bad bugs are fixed.

they are stating that they learned a ton from skyrim bugs and are going to try not having game breaking bugs from the get go. we will see! all games of this size have bugs but major game breakers like fov originally had are never good. being optimistic.

they are stating that they learned a ton from skyrim bugs and are going to try not having game breaking bugs from the get go. we will see! all games of this size have bugs but major game breakers like fov originally had are never good. being optimistic.

They learned a lot from the Skyrim bugs, I'm sure.

you know what that means:

ALL NEW BUGS!

Bethesda is the only company I can tolerate when it comes to terrible code. At least Bethesda bugs are damn hilarious, like FIFA animation bugs.

That is true of any Bethesda product. In fact, I wait a year for the GOTY edition hoping most of the really bad bugs are fixed.

But the bugs are the best part of any Bethesda game!

I wonder if they need to change the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. / skill system for this, or if they'll just let you max out your character.

Although the no cap idea sounds good (on the surface), it will make play balance more difficult and more critical ... hopefully Bethesda is able to provide suitable end game content, appropriate play balance, and a complicated skill tree that benefits from the additional levels ... otherwise those extra levels will be like the old joke about married men living longer (it just seems longer :p )

translation as you lvl up the rats do to and at lvl 99 the rat can still kill you

translation as you lvl up the rats do to and at lvl 99 the rat can still kill you

Yeah, that's honestly been one of the crappiest things in games. Yeah, I get it. You want everything to level up with the player so they're on equal ground no matter what part of the open game world they happen to be in. Unfortunately that means in a game like skyrim what should be low level garbage I can just look at and have it fall over still somehow manages to pose somewhat of a threat because they're scaled up to my level. And at the same time what should be tougher encounters aren't, because they're scaled down to my level.

Sure that's not the end of the world, but it also means that I'm not going to ever run across some enclave of super badass enemies that are higher level than I am, manage to barely fight my way through it, and get rewarded at the end. It just turns out kinda "meh".

I really hope they don't do to Fallout 4 what they did to skyrim regarding the scaling.

I hope Sneak is just as ridiculous.

Corporeality was of no concern to my 100 sneak. My goofy ass could walk between sunbeams and kill with near impunity as I slunk unnatural wavelengths that no mortal creature could hope to discern. So many curious cases of people being torn asunder in a crowded room with nary a clue.

Would be cool to have post game contents (such as ultimate bosses, etc) but I don't think Bethesda will do that. Those are usually found in JRPG only.

I hope Sneak is just as ridiculous.

Corporeality was of no concern to my 100 sneak. My goofy ass could walk between sunbeams and kill with near impunity as I slunk unnatural wavelengths that no mortal creature could hope to discern. So many curious cases of people being torn asunder in a crowded room with nary a clue.

A more ridiculous case is when a pair of NPCs engage in a scripted conversation, then suddenly for one of them, his/her head explodes in a spectacular fashion, the other participant just stops talking and resumes his/her patrol routine.

Didn't know PTSD could take effect that quickly...

That being said, if there are ultimate bosses in FO4, I wouldn't mind Frank Horrigan (or some form of him) being one of them. That boss was really something in FO2

I think you meant Molerats :p ... They can also deal with it by scale ... instead of one Mutant Overlord you can encounter a squad of them ... but something has to give or there is no challenge for a level 80 character

Is it going to take forever to beat? I like these games, and finally started new vegas, but 40+ hours in, IDK its starting to drag.

Is it going to take forever to beat? I like these games, and finally started new vegas, but 40+ hours in, IDK its starting to drag.

You're kidding, right? That is kind of the raison d'être of these epic open world games (lots of stuff to do that takes hundreds of hours to complete) ... the bigger question for FO4 I think is this new crafting/city building mechanic ... if they make that a reasonable game in itself I suspect they will attract the Minecraft/Simcity crowd who might spend the entire game building cities ... the crafting will be all about balance (if the crafted items are too overpowered they will skew the game mechanics, especially if the level balance is out of whack)

YAY?????

In a single player RPG, I can only see unlimited levels as just a perk that appeals to the same people that love trophies, achievements and some unlock systems.

These are the same people that stop playing a game because there are no more "rewards" or ding sounds being played telling them they are apparently doing something special with their time.

I used to play games for hours because it was fun, usually PC games had custom maps etc to keep things fresh. Now they have gotten rid of mods and replaced them with badges, achievements, trophies.

While at a certain point I think achievements can add some flavor to a game that might be getting repetitive. Get you to play a little differently, try something new. It seems imo that people have taken it sooo far as to make it some requirement of enjoyment to a game. Maybe its true since there are few games with fun active custom mods/content.

Anyways back to topic.

I don't see how unlimited levels will add that much to a FO game. They either will scale levels/power of enemies which makes levels almost meaningless (other then skill points etc) or you could be a situation where you do every little thing early on and get ahead of the level pacing of the story and than its pretty easy form there on out. In the later if levels were endless you could literally insta-gib your way through the story.

But the bugs are the best part of any Bethesda game!

I wonder if they need to change the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. / skill system for this, or if they'll just let you max out your character.

they are changing the SPECIAL system and leveling system. its not 100% clear yet but skills/perks are tied to STATS now... which is kind of cool because you could level up from gear?

http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/24/fallout-4-dogmeat-perks-pc-ps4-xbox-one/
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/f...etails-fans-need-to-know-about-fallout-4.aspx

Reminds me of Skyrim, Day 1. Nothing like getting 6fps in Xfire and 9fps without...

I let the game sit for 6 months and, when I came back, it was fine. (well..."playable")

YAY?????
These are the same people that stop playing a game because there are no more "rewards" or ding sounds being played telling them they are apparently doing something special with their time.

No, Bethsoft understands in a video game, the fun isn't the end cut scene, its the journey to get there. Level Caps and Map Boundaries are two ways the fun comes to an end. Removing one of them means people can keep leveling up, it gives people more of a reason to keep playing, even after they've found all the places to explore.

While at a certain point I think achievements can add some flavor to a game that might be getting repetitive. Get you to play a little differently, try something new. It seems imo that people have taken it sooo far as to make it some requirement of enjoyment to a game. Maybe its true since there are few games with fun active custom mods/content.

I have no idea how you get Trophies and Achievements have somehow crippled the modding scene.........the complexity of the engines and the intellectual property costs are what have frozen-out the modding community...we aren't building simple Counter Strike or Duke Nukem maps anymore. The tools to build a level today may require classes and an NDA agreement.

I don't see how unlimited levels will add that much to a FO game. They either will scale levels/power of enemies which makes levels almost meaningless (other then skill points etc) or you could be a situation where you do every little thing early on and get ahead of the level pacing of the story and than its pretty easy form there on out. In the later if levels were endless you could literally insta-gib your way through the story.

This is why people are complaining in this thread about the level-up requirements, bethsoft needs to re-think how their enemy scaling happens, nobody wants to stumble upon a new area and get their level 50 asses handed to them by a pack of mole rats.

Unlimited levels means people will "oh man I can level up to 87...I wonder what perks are left?"....gives them something to chase, and keeps them in the game.

I think you meant Molerats :p ... They can also deal with it by scale ... instead of one Mutant Overlord you can encounter a squad of them ... but something has to give or there is no challenge for a level 80 character

Hopefully so, with emphasis being that the squad number increases as you level.

It might not have a level cap, but it had better have a bottle cap. :mad:

pipboy300.jpg

I just wait for the GOTY edition for nearly every game that has paid for DLC. My library is packed full of games and there's no reason to spend $60+DLCPRICE when for $39.99 you get the game with everything.

I can be patient for games that I'm meh about such as Fallout 4. New Mass Effect? DAYWUNOMGBUYNOW!

I played the game at launch and never once experienced any of those issues. Honestly, my first playthrough of Skyrim was pretty much bug free.

Same, didn't have any issues other than the alt tab mouse thing; which was fixed by exercising common sense and not alt-tabbing.

I, for one, enjoyed the bug with the Giants when sky rim first came out, the one where they would send you into orbit.

YAY?????

I used to play games for hours because it was fun, usually PC games had custom maps etc to keep things fresh. Now they have gotten rid of mods and replaced them with badges, achievements, trophies.

It's the quick fix of the multi-screen over stimulated generation. That is the extra content... as long as there isn't too much variety/change for that achievement Finding mods/maps/content and then reaping the rewards was half the fun as a kid. And it all disappeared right before our eyes before we even knew it. :(

Dang no edit... Should be a period between achievement and Finding ^

Yeah, that's honestly been one of the crappiest things in games. Yeah, I get it. You want everything to level up with the player so they're on equal ground no matter what part of the open game world they happen to be in. Unfortunately that means in a game like skyrim what should be low level garbage I can just look at and have it fall over still somehow manages to pose somewhat of a threat because they're scaled up to my level. And at the same time what should be tougher encounters aren't, because they're scaled down to my level.

Sure that's not the end of the world, but it also means that I'm not going to ever run across some enclave of super badass enemies that are higher level than I am, manage to barely fight my way through it, and get rewarded at the end. It just turns out kinda "meh".

I really hope they don't do to Fallout 4 what they did to skyrim regarding the scaling.

I agree, because I want to fear a Super Mutant at level 5 and at level 45 I want low level Raiders to flee before their master :D

Wait it won't have mod support?

Yes it will, they have stated so in interviews ... mods will be available for both PCs and consoles ... the mod support will not be available at launch (based on the interviews) but in early winter (probably Jan or Feb)

Yes it will, they have stated so in interviews ... mods will be available for both PCs and consoles ... the mod support will not be available at launch (based on the interviews) but in early winter (probably Jan or Feb)

That's probably because Bethesda expects to have buggies to squash right away and they probably don't wanna those bugs to get lost among all the broken stuff that can happen with mods.

For me it doesn't matter though. As excited as I am about the game, I'll probably wait until there's a GOTY edition since I don't wanna pay full retail price AND I don't currently have a computer that can run it. By the time the re-release with all the DLC and bug fixes is out, there'll hopefully be lots of good mods and an inexpensive computer will be able to run it well.

Back