Shadow of Mordor Performance: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu

HardOCP News

[H] News
The alternative OS gurus at Phoronix have posted a Shadow of Mordor Performance: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu comparison today that I think many of you will find interesting.

Last week Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor was released for Linux after this AAA game premiered for Windows last year. Following its release I ran some Shadow of Mordor Linux benchmarks (and part two). Today are results on the same system when comparing the performance of this game under Ubuntu 15.04 to that of Windows 10 x64 Pro.

Linux is seriously lagging Win10 in performance. Unacceptable. That's why I run Windows, and not another OS.

I suspect it will improve, this reeks of a missed code path.

But still, yes, if you really care about performance in games I think it would be silly to pick something other than windows at this time.

I think DX11 in Wine is probably longer off than predicted.

But let's look on the bright side here... at least nvidia showed the fastest performance.

The Nvidia drivers likely don't have a performance profile yet for Shadow of Mordor on Linux, cause otherwise this performance gap shouldn't exist. AMD drivers don't even work cause Catalyst sucks on Linux. According to this OpenGL 4.3 is a ways off for Mesa, but good news OpenGL 4.0 and 4.1 is now working with Open Source drivers. Bioshock Infinite now works on open source drivers.

As much as people want to praise Nvidia, the drivers on Linux aren't perfect. There's also likely a CPU usage issue since the game seems CPU limited on Linux. Intel relies on Mesa for OpenGL support despite they don't use mesa for their drivers. AMD is in driver purgatory as they can't seem to get Catalyst to be worth a damn and open source drivers are doing pretty good but don't have the features of Catalyst YET.

I'm guessing an update to the game and newer Nvidia drivers will get the game nearly as fast as Windows. When that happens who knows. AMD users will have to wait for Catalyst 15.8 cause it isn't working. Intel users will need to wait until Mesa has support for OpenGL 4.3. I don't have much hope for Wine cause it's been stuck on 1.7 for 2 years and a major feature called CSMT is not going to make release anyway. CSMT is a big performance boost and works fine but the developers threw it away to get DX11 going. I doubt DX11 will be implemented soon. At this point I have more faith from Gallium Nine developers to implement native DX11 for Wine. Gallium Nine works so well it's part of Mesa.

i can't use catalyst. I rather use a newer kernel and the AMD opensource drivers from the obiaf ppa

Heyyo,

Linux is seriously lagging Win10 in performance. Unacceptable. That's why I run Windows, and not another OS.

OpenGL is the main culprit tbh. It is lagging behind DirectX in what it can achieve... It sucks that there's no Vulkan release date... I bet Linux Gaming, namely SteamOS would get a good boost from Vulkan. C'mon Khronos Group!

I suspect it will improve, this reeks of a missed code path.

But still, yes, if you really care about performance in games I think it would be silly to pick something other than windows at this time.

Missed code path / optimization sure... but I still say Linux gaming is seriously hampered by OpenGL... heck, Multi-GPU doesn't even work on ID Tech 5 Engine on Windows with OpenGL... so many limitations. That's probably why ID Soft dropped OpenGL in favor of DirectX 11 only in The Evil Within. The first time an ID Tech Engine game has been DirectX only.

The Nvidia drivers likely don't have a performance profile yet for Shadow of Mordor on Linux, cause otherwise this performance gap shouldn't exist. AMD drivers don't even work cause Catalyst sucks on Linux. According to this OpenGL 4.3 is a ways off for Mesa, but good news OpenGL 4.0 and 4.1 is now working with Open Source drivers. Bioshock Infinite now works on open source drivers.

As much as people want to praise Nvidia, the drivers on Linux aren't perfect. There's also likely a CPU usage issue since the game seems CPU limited on Linux. Intel relies on Mesa for OpenGL support despite they don't use mesa for their drivers. AMD is in driver purgatory as they can't seem to get Catalyst to be worth a damn and open source drivers are doing pretty good but don't have the features of Catalyst YET.

I'm guessing an update to the game and newer Nvidia drivers will get the game nearly as fast as Windows. When that happens who knows. AMD users will have to wait for Catalyst 15.8 cause it isn't working. Intel users will need to wait until Mesa has support for OpenGL 4.3. I don't have much hope for Wine cause it's been stuck on 1.7 for 2 years and a major feature called CSMT is not going to make release anyway. CSMT is a big performance boost and works fine but the developers threw it away to get DX11 going. I doubt DX11 will be implemented soon. At this point I have more faith from Gallium Nine developers to implement native DX11 for Wine. Gallium Nine works so well it's part of Mesa.

True about NVIDIA drivers in Linux not being perfect... for the life of me, I've tried disabling culling and forcing Vblank on... and no matter what I do or what Linux Distro I use? I can't get rid of screen tearing in Linux! Drives me cray-cray! BLARRRRGHHHH!!! :(

I haven't bothered with open source drivers on Linux though as the main reason I even tinker with Linux is to see how gaming has come along on it... Linux definitely has a solid foundation to be more efficient than Windows in gaming, especially that lovely network stack... tbh, kinda surprised there's been no mention or showing that Windows 10 would have a more efficient network stack but oh well...

Back