Google Keeps Backing All The Wrong Social Products

HardOCP News

[H] News
Another editorial about Google continually backing the wrong social products has hit the internet.

Google seems to desperately want to succeed at social, and watching it completely mismanage what could be a social juggernaut has been frustrating for users. There's clear demand for a good product here. Even the Hangouts complaints are a sign of passion; you don't complain about a product you don't use. Yet the improvements never really come. Feedback rarely seems taken into consideration.

This is more or less what happens to companies where suits get involved and direct focus on things they project could be profitable instead of looking at trends on what's popular and what needs to be improved.

I like Hangouts and use it a lot, but it's still weak in comparison to Apple's SMS/Messaging app.
With all of the stupidity circling Google+, Hangouts is probably what that program should have been. Instead of trying to make a Facebook-style community, just focus on messaging.

I like Hangouts and use it a lot, but it's still weak in comparison to Apple's SMS/Messaging app.
With all of the stupidity circling Google+, Hangouts is probably what that program should have been. Instead of trying to make a Facebook-style community, just focus on messaging.
Well put.

Companies like Apple must dedicate more time to their QA departments or something. I imagine they have entire divisions of people who just evaluate the polish and friendliness of an app or UI, making impulse and emotional decisions about if someone will be rubbed the right way when they are exposed to something or not.

I converted to a data only cellphone service with the intent of using Hangouts for voice/sms. My god what a shithole it is. I mean I've gotten used to it and am fully dedicated to it now, but damn every day I just groan at how google could fuck up such simple things. The hangouts dialers isnt voice activated, contacts list cant initiate a hangouts call, THERE IS NO GROUP SMS (how in the FUCK they missed this one is beyond me). Lets take that last one there, failure to support group sms. I mean honestly, it's these kind of bungling decisions that make me just question what the hell goes on during a Google round-table discussion for feature support. I mean, did no one bring this up? Was someone shot down and scolded for it being unnecessary? Did someone legitimately say "this is absolutely critical to messaging, but we'll support it later"? I might have some sympathy if I believed integrating this was some difficult talk, but come the fuck on, no group sms? Seriously? The fact that I have to conclude my argument with "seriously?" is a shining example of whats wrong with Google.

They have so much potential and yet drop the ball so often they must have questionable leadership and hiring practices.

This is more or less what happens to companies where suits get involved and direct focus on things they project could be profitable instead of looking at trends on what's popular and what needs to be improved.

The trouble is that when "suits" don't manage companies, they tend to fail which is why pretty much every large, successful company has "suits" in it. It's sorta silly and unrealistic to presume that engineers, line employees, or administrative support staff can simply manage a large corporation without learning the necessary skills and then being hired into the position (which effectively makes that person a suit). I think the feelings of ill will are a lot more related to socio-economic class divisions the drive envy and other negativity moreso that its related to business leaders actually making mistakes.

Maybe we can have the ultimate merger where Google, Facebook, and Twitter join forces ... it could be almost apocalyptic in nature ... heck, let's throw Apple in the mix too and you can have all your Satans in one giant Satan :D

Maybe we can have the ultimate merger where Google, Facebook, and Twitter join forces ... it could be almost apocalyptic in nature ... heck, let's throw Apple in the mix too and you can have all your Satans in one giant Satan :D

I think ISIS already does this with all things American.

Back