An Inside Look At Disney's Bleeding-Edge Rendering Software "Hyperion"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Were you blown away by the level of lighting in Big Hero 6? Disney's newest rendering software, Hyperion, was what made much of that possible.

Hyperion handles several million light rays at a time by sorting and bundling them together according to their directions. When the rays are grouped in this way, many of the rays in a bundle hit the same object in the same region of space. This similarity of ray hits allows us---and the computer---to optimize the calculations for the objects hit.

In the future there will be no half-ass'ed attempts like the obvious fakery of the Moon landings. Things will be so perfect we will never know the difference.

In the future there will be no half-ass'ed attempts like the obvious fakery of the Moon landings. Things will be so perfect we will never know the difference.

The moon is only there when someone looks at it. If no one is looking at the moon, it's not there. I want you to put aside conspiracy theory for a little while, however intriguing it may be and meditate on this as both a question and as a statement: "The moon is only there when someone looks at it? If no one is looking at the moon, it's not there?" , "The moon is only there when someone looks at it. If no one is looking at the moon, it's not there." over and over and over again like a mantra for about a year.

After at least a year of this I want you to review every belief structures you adhere to or have adhered to in the past; everything you believe to be true or false and everything you know to be true and false. Aristotelian logic is firmly ingrained in western educated minds and this categorization should be no daunting task, only tedious perhaps but fully worthwhile. If you have accomplished this and have found that everything in the universe that is observable by your own personal nervous system cannot be categorized as both "true", "false" and "maybe" at the same time, then you've unfortunately failed at the exercise and must repeat to your entity (you will simply be an entity by this point) this kōan: "Who is the master that makes the grass green?" and meditate on that for at least a year and then when your done repeat the reviewing process until whatever uncertainties and dogmas you set upon yourself or others or society as a whole, dissolves into unity and nothingness. You'll thank me in the morning.

What's even cooler is that the unbaised (pure physics based) rendering software is available for free.

The moon is only there when someone looks at it. If no one is looking at the moon, it's not there. I want you to put aside conspiracy theory for a little while, however intriguing it may be and meditate on this as both a question and as a statement: "The moon is only there when someone looks at it? If no one is looking at the moon, it's not there?" , "The moon is only there when someone looks at it. If no one is looking at the moon, it's not there." over and over and over again like a mantra for about a year.

After at least a year of this I want you to review every belief structures you adhere to or have adhered to in the past; everything you believe to be true or false and everything you know to be true and false. Aristotelian logic is firmly ingrained in western educated minds and this categorization should be no daunting task, only tedious perhaps but fully worthwhile. If you have accomplished this and have found that everything in the universe that is observable by your own personal nervous system cannot be categorized as both "true", "false" and "maybe" at the same time, then you've unfortunately failed at the exercise and must repeat to your entity (you will simply be an entity by this point) this kōan: "Who is the master that makes the grass green?" and meditate on that for at least a year and then when your done repeat the reviewing process until whatever uncertainties and dogmas you set upon yourself or others or society as a whole, dissolves into unity and nothingness. You'll thank me in the morning.

Yes friend, on a material level you are correct. On a spiritual level you are completely wrong. Are you into didatics....?

If no one is in the forest and a tree fall, does it still make sound?

People already call the computer a hard drive. This video is now going to make 34k more people call cell phones "processors". Thanks Disney

Yes, that first video looked like it was mad for 3-year olds... or maybe folks 60+

Sculelos, is that you?

The only digitally animated film that has ever "blown me away", was James Cameron's Avatar. That was hands down the best computer animation the world has ever seen. I went and saw it 3 times, purposefully looking for errors or artifacts. I couldn't find them. That movie is flawless (as a cinematography showcase).

Behind that I would probably go with the 14 year old film Final Fantasy: Spirits Within. Considering the age and backing, that was an exceptional demonstration of animation.

Anything from Disney or Pixar, while being a good quality film, is still based on the simplistic cartoon model. It looks very fake.

Legend of the Guardians was an American animation that had very high quality animation. Some of it was very hard to distinguish from real life.

hyperion_team.png

look at them all smiling.

all the while mickey and his cohorts are going to replace them with cheaper TFW's.

Without directly observing the moon we can see the forces of the moon acting on the earth. They are called tides.

Back