Get Rid Of Unwanted Apps In Windows 10 With PowerShell

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Here is a guide for those of you who are intent on eradicating modern apps from Windows 10 but haven't figured out how. With just a command or two, you should be able to get rid of Calendar, People, Photos, and other apps you don't want.

Run the 'Remove-AppxPackage PackageFullName' command. If you want to remove the People app from Windows 10, for example, you'd run 'Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.People_1.10241.0.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe'.

I saw this in an article on launch day. Tried it, but it didn't work. Got an error message in all red text.

I might try it again though. Maybe something has changed since then? Definitely a number of apps I'd like gonzo.

Just removed the Xbox app for shits and giggles as a test. It does indeed work, however, I'm a bit scared on the majority of apps that it may screw other things up.

I think this would be more useful if someone builds a GUI around it that shows that removing the app may affect for other apps, etc...

used to be able to install Cortana during the beta but they disabled that ability later on. Wouldn't want that tracking getting uninstalled eh

Well, you can disable cortana data sharing in the settings, but who knows, maybe that doesn't disable everything.

I was annoyed by the fact that when you choose the debug level of data sent to Microsoft you can chose between three levels, none of which is "none".

Zarathustra[H];1041770334 said:
I saw this in an article on launch day. Tried it, but it didn't work. Got an error message in all red text.

I might try it again though. Maybe something has changed since then? Definitely a number of apps I'd like gonzo.

There are a few of the appxpackages that cannot be removed because they appear to be embedded into the OS, I posted in the thread on the OS forum 2 lines that will remove everything except the Windows Store, but it can't remove Cortana, Edge, .NET and a couple others (these will be the ones that give you the red error text in PS):

Code:
Get-AppXPackage | Where Name -NotLike "*WindowsStore*" | Remove-AppXPackage
Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Where DisplayName -NotLike "*WindowsStore*" | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage –online

Back